• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Beastars, Cats of the Louvre, Magic Knight Rayearth, More Nominated for Eisner Awards

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:30 pm Reply with quote
And Women’s Manga in Asia and Beyond is nominated in "Best Scholarly/Academic Work".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see more manga nominated outside of the "Best U.S. Edition of International Material—Asia" category (I will be rooting for Wondermark: Friends You Can Ride On rather than The Way of the Househusband though...).

As for the "Best U.S. Edition of International Material—Asia" category, I haven't read any of them besides Magic Knight Rayearth, and that was in the form of an older edition. The Poe Clan vol. 1 and Witch Hat Atelier vols. 1-4 are in my backlog, and Cats of the Louvre is on my "to buy" list. Seems like a pretty strong lineup all around.
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:07 pm Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
And Women’s Manga in Asia and Beyond is nominated in "Best Scholarly/Academic Work".

We added a mention of the book. Thank you!
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:32 pm Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:

Why the heck is the ebook $90 and the hardcover over $100?? Is there no cheaper option, like Amazon, Barnes & Noble? Who would even pay for that?
mrakai

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:56 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:

Why the heck is the ebook $90 and the hardcover over $100?? Is there no cheaper option, like Amazon, Barnes & Noble? Who would even pay for that?

I think it's aimed at the academic market (textbooks) which tend to sell small amounts for large prices.
nargun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:00 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
CorneredAngel wrote:

"Academic/scholarly work": these are aimed at people for whom reading about that sort of thing is either their job or their chief hobby. It's pretty par for the course for that sort of thing; they're expensive to produce, as books go, and demand is limited.

It's about the price of six manga volumes, say. Two video games, a theatre ticket or two, a mid-range restaurant meal for two, a decent-quality power saw.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:06 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:

*Who would even pay for that?* - libraries. And not your local public library. These kinds of books are basically meant almost entirely for college libraries. Sell a few dozen copies, that's easy money for the publisher.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1