• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami to Start Showing SSSS.Gridman Anime in January 2021

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:02 am Reply with quote
BABY DAN DAN everybody. Also people at Adult Swim, if you guys are looking for other shows, might I suggest another Trigger mecha anime that Funimation has, very darling one too.
Akane Mizuno

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:33 am Reply with quote
I already own it on blu ray, I loved the show.
Morry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:58 am Reply with quote
Time to awaken a whole new world (thighs) to so many young'ns.

Last edited by Morry on Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
TexZero

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:21 am Reply with quote
Toonami trying to cash in on THICC thighs saving lives.

Just a bit late though...
topgun97

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:28 am Reply with quote
That's nice but.... you're two years too late for this. The show came out in 2018 and I'm pretty sure it was on Crunchyroll at the same time, so what's so exciting about getting it now? Honestly if you're an avid anime watcher you shouldn't be watching anime Toonami with its small library frankly. Even if you wanted to get into anime as a beginner or introduce someone to it just tell them about Crunchyroll or Funimation. They got a much bigger library and you can watch anything, more or less, any time you want. Or if you or the other person don't mind then use a pirate site or torrents.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:44 am Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
Toonami trying to cash in on THICC thighs saving lives.

Just a bit late though...

They could be setting up so Toonami can get first dibs on showing the SSSS.Dynazenon dub.
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:51 am Reply with quote
Morry wrote:
Time to awaken a whole knew world (thighs) to so many young'ns.

The shows more than just some girls thighs. It's great homage up to the original Gridman and the ultra series(and Transfromers given the character designs).
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:37 am Reply with quote
cyberdraco wrote:
Morry wrote:

The shows more than just some girls thighs. It's great homage up to the original Gridman and the ultra series(and Transfromers given the character designs).

Cool...the thighs are the best part though.
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:53 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
cyberdraco wrote:
Morry wrote:

Cool...the thighs are the best part though.

Yeah...I think that honor goes to the fight scenes, homages, and writing.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:00 pm Reply with quote
topgun97 wrote:
That's nice but.... you're two years too late for this. The show came out in 2018 and I'm pretty sure it was on Crunchyroll at the same time, so what's so exciting about getting it now? Honestly if you're an avid anime watcher you shouldn't be watching anime Toonami with its small library frankly. Even if you wanted to get into anime as a beginner or introduce someone to it just tell them about Crunchyroll or Funimation. They got a much bigger library and you can watch anything, more or less, any time you want. Or if you or the other person don't mind then use a pirate site or torrents.

Toonami is a communal experience. You watch it at the same time as others, experiencing it as others do and interacting as it happens. It's hardly for first time watchers anymore. It's more for reacting as others do.

Though, personally, I haven't seen this show, and I'm looking forward to watching it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Malsang

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:51 pm Reply with quote
A good choice on Toonami's part. This was easily my anime-of-the-year back in 2018, even edging out A Place Further Than The Universe, which I also loved. Plus, the guy who dubbed Alexis knocked it out of the park. It's heartening to see Toonami experimenting with anime that go outside of the usual shonen mold. I can understand why things are that way -- Toonami typically only has room for a few shows, so they usually play it safe by airing wildly-popular shonen. But SSSS.Gridman is really good, so hopefully they'll get the positive feedback from their fanbase that they need in order to show stuff that deviates from the usual formula. Hybrid shows like Gridman are a good way to do this!
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Excited to watch this. Finally have the time to do so now. Very Happy
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Gridman has been one of the best mecha shows in recent years and it will be great to see Toonami airing a mecha show that isn't part of the Gundam franchise again. Besides the reruns of Outlaw Star in 2017, I think the last non-Gundam mecha show they aired was Gurrren Lagann way back in 2014 unless you count something like the FLCL sequels. I hope this means they'll also pick up Dynazenon when that comes out.

Quote:
That's nice but.... you're two years too late for this. The show came out in 2018 and I'm pretty sure it was on Crunchyroll at the same time, so what's so exciting about getting it now? Honestly if you're an avid anime watcher you shouldn't be watching anime Toonami with its small library frankly.
Most anime fans are casual watchers who don't keep up with all the simulcast shows and only watch mainstream anime like My Hero Academia or Demon Slayer etc. so not everybody watched it when it first aired. They also have Dynazenon coming up next year which they're likely getting ready to air that. And it's not that unusual for Toonami to air older shows. Just this year they've also been airing Assassination Classroom and Paranoia Agent which are a lot older than Gridman. Last year they had Food Wars which started in 2015 and Mob Psycho 100 didn't air on Toonami till 2018 even though it first came out in 2016. I also wouldn't be surprised if there probably issues with streaming rights at the time as Gridman came out during the whole FuniRoll deal.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I really loved this show. It's always good to see it getting more exposure. It was also a good gateway into tokusatsu shows. I actually looked into Ultraman and the original Gridman afterwards.

Looking through the above comments though, I can't help but chuckle a bit at the thigh thirst that seems to be a mainstay of any discussion or mention of this show Laughing People talked about Rikka's thighs so much I actually went into this show half-expecting a Kill la Kill-tier fanservice fest with the camera constantly wedged between a pair of thighs. And yet, outside of that one episode where they swam at the river, the show was surprisingly (I might even say refreshingly?) light on fanservice for a Trigger production.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I hadn't really looked into anything about this show - although seeing what people are saying here, it's a mecha anime, which kinda tempers some of my feelings as I'm just not that big of a fan of mecha anime, but I'll keep an open mind! - but I'm just glad that Toonami has made an announcement for the upcoming year for the block! Since it's basically the only way I watch anime nowadays, I'm always happy to hear about new acquisitions. And especially with the pandemic, having one that's already completely dubbed through means no delays or hiatuses (not counting any marathons as delays, however), so we're not dealing with a situation like what has happened to the last few episodes of MHA S4, the second half of JoJo Part 5, and Black Clover (and is also my concern now that we're airing Fire Force S2, although we got a decent gap at the moment).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2