• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Adds X-Men, Wolverine Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:11 pm Reply with quote
X-Men: real good

Wolverine (and the other Marvel anime): …ehhhh

I have long lamented the lack of comic-inspired visuals since the '90s X-Men series and the over-reliance on Bruce Timm-esque designs across the board (always liked his work, but with the all of the artwork and styles out there in comic books—and elsewhere—it can be unnerving to see productions fall back on his style so often).

The X-Men anime, however, felt like such a breath of fresh air. The visual style was distinct and a great match for it, feeling both comic-like, but its own thing, as well. It was the first time since the '90s that it felt like a series captured the "essence" of the X-Men, and if the animation production crew had been tapped to be the new "official producers" for future works, I would have been absolutely be down for it (even though I doubt there will be any additional trips).

…And, it also felt refreshing because, well, the other Marvel Anime were so thoroughly & bizarrely mediocre on all fronts (not that X-Men was always the smoothest in the story department). Unfortunately, the whole effort felt like a major waste of money.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:51 pm Reply with quote
The X-Men anime was the only real good one. Wolverine, Blade & Iron Man were not even close.

Just a damn shame that Sony kept these DVD-only this entire time.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I sometimes forget these Marvel anime's were a thing.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, that's weird. Normally I would think this would be better to be on Disney+, but then again the earlier Marvel anime was done by Sony and Marvel which predated Disney buying out Marvel Comics. But still nice of Sony to put it on Netflix (although in my opinion, I think it could fits better on Disney+).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I just remembered that Supernatural the anime was also a thing.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Are the x-men and wolverine series connected in any way? Even if X-Men is the only good one, if Wolverine connects to it (coming out first) I'll still give it a shot.

I wonder if they'll get the other two series...
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Are the x-men and wolverine series connected in any way?

No, other than the fact that Wolverine is in both, and one of his teammates has a cameo in his series.
matt78

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:31 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Whoa, that's weird. Normally I would think this would be better to be on Disney+, but then again the earlier Marvel anime was done by Sony and Marvel which predated Disney buying out Marvel Comics. But still nice of Sony to put it on Netflix (although in my opinion, I think it could fits better on Disney+).

Does anyone think there is a chance of these eventually end up on FunimationNow? Sony had licensed some anime before they bought Funimation and I have found it surprising that none of them have made their way over to Funimation yet. You would think that Sony would want to make money off of these shows by allowing Funimation stream and sell blu rays.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:48 pm Reply with quote
matt78 wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

Does anyone think there is a chance of these eventually end up on FunimationNow? Sony had licensed some anime before they bought Funimation and I have found it surprising that none of them have made their way over to Funimation yet. You would think that Sony would want to make money off of these shows by allowing Funimation stream and sell blu rays.

I don't know and that's a good question. There's also technical and legal complication and also because Disney owned Marvel Comic, I don't know how that will factor and by now, it's unknown where Marvel anime could appear on. But then again, I've seen Warner Bros contents on other streaming sites other then HBO Max. Like for example, Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy and all of Harry Potter films appeared on Peacock TV and not on HBO Max given that Batman and Harry Potter are owned by Warner Bros.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:54 pm Reply with quote
The Wolverine anime, one is better off just watching The Wolverine. It’s shorter and better acted covering the same plot.

The X-Men anime is pretty good, but you can tell looking at the others that the studio just wanted to do 52 episodes of X-Men.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1