• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Debuts Streaming App on Switch

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:15 am Reply with quote
Oh, sweet. I haven't been able to watch Funimation on the TV since Harvey ate our Roku -- the TV we got after that was an LG (and there still isn't a Funi or CR app for webOS because reasons), and we never ended up buying a replacement stick. So it's just been phone or PC.

I might start watching more anime again. Maybe I'll finally start watching Akudama Drive? Or dig deep into my backlog and launch into Monogatari?

EDIT: Aaaaaand it turns out you need a subscription -- no ad-supported option. Never mind.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:29 am Reply with quote
Premium subscribers only, so even though I have a library of digital titles from my physical purchases I can't watch them this way =/

It'd be one thing if they didn't have the ad supported free version (yet?), but if you can't even log in without subscribing -_-
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:18 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Oh, sweet. I haven't been able to watch Funimation on the TV since Harvey ate our Roku -- the TV we got after that was an LG (and there still isn't a Funi or CR app for webOS because reasons), and we never ended up buying a replacement stick. So it's just been phone or PC.

I might start watching more anime again. Maybe I'll finally start watching Akudama Drive? Or dig deep into my backlog and launch into Monogatari?

EDIT: Aaaaaand it turns out you need a subscription -- no ad-supported option. Never mind.

Hurricane Harvey?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:35 pm Reply with quote
The design does look better (I'd say it looks like they are trying to mimic Netflix) but the real question will be performance.

I will say the schedule part is nice. Going to their blog for the schedule or relying on the "continue watching" feature isn't the most user friendly method. The "continue watching" section doesn't always catch things if they are more than a week apart, which tends to happen with the remote dubs, so I've had some shows that I didn't realize had a new episode or two until I went looking.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Lucky coincidence on the Franxx/Switch color scheme.
XaelOstigian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Sony: "We now own Funimation, and soon Crunchyroll! Suck on that Nintendo!"
Also Sony: "Umm...actually can we use your console for streaming services? We're kinda trying to reach a wider audience with our new properties."
Nintendo: (-_-)'
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:50 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Hurricane Harvey?

Yup. Had two feet of water in the house.
Moontei

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:17 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

The Funimation app is actually available for webOS on LG TV's though Crunchyroll is still absent (hope this will change now that Funi has bought CR).
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Moontei wrote:
The Funimation app is actually available for webOS on LG TV's though Crunchyroll is still absent (hope this will change now that Funi has bought CR).

Seems you're right... but according to LG's website, it's not compatible with my LJ550M. Which I guess is why I didn't see it browsing through the Content Store on the TV itself. *sigh* Maybe they just haven't bothered to support TVs older than, like, a year and a half.
Demonskid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Oh nice!

My app for the Kindle stopped working and is no longer compatible so I needed to find a new way to watch anime while at dr appointments.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1