• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Non Non Biyori Season 3 Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:12 pm Reply with quote
It's absolutely blood-boiling people can watch the 3rd season (and the movie) in a lot less countries than the first two, because Sentai's gonna Sentai.

EDIT: And you can't even watch the OVAs in any way legally whatsoever.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Since Non Non Biyori: Non Stop is a winter anime, fingers crossed that we'll get a North American Blu-Ray release by next Christmas.

As for the OVAs, I'm speculating that there may be a third OVA with the final volume of the manga, if it follows the pattern of the previous two OVAs coming out as manga bonuses a few months after the previous two TV seasons were over, and, once there are three OVAs, Sentai might finally license them and put them on one disk.

ADDENDUM: I didn't notice the part about the theme song CD, I guess I shall soon be ordering a CD from Japan for the first time in about a decade.

Last edited by Tenchi on Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ozzy4k

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:20 pm Reply with quote
great now the 3 people who have hidive can watch it
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:43 pm Reply with quote
tfwnoymir wrote:
It's absolutely blood-boiling people can watch the 3rd season (and the movie) in a lot less countries than the first two, because Sentai's gonna Sentai.

Sentai's regional coverage is better than Funi, AnimeLab and Wakanim combined.
Kiskaloo
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Ozzy4k wrote:

This is my favorite slice of life show and if I did not already have HiDive, I'd sub to it just for this show.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Ozzy4k wrote:

Like other Sentai sequels, Crunchyroll is probably going to also stream it.
Farhanawesome

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:50 am Reply with quote
Well, Non non biyori was popular and yet Sentai FIlmworks is not going to dub it. i wonder whats its the reason Sentai Filmworks not going to dub this anime ? i was hoping other than that Redo of Healer, i wish Sentai Filmworks will Starting DUBCAST S3 with the S1 & S2 will follow later

So if Sentai Going to dub this anime the Dub cast probably like this.

Hotaru Ichijou - Emily Neves
Komari Koshigaya - Jad Saxton
Natsumi Koshigaya - Juliet Simmons
Renge Miyauchi - Sarah Wiedenheft/ Jad Saxton / Hillary Haag
Kaede Kagayama - Avery Smithhart
Hikage Miyauchi - Genevieve Simmons
Kazuho Miyauchi - Monica Rial

I hope sentai see this anime had a justify to do an english dub Re-release.
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:01 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
tfwnoymir wrote:

Sentai's regional coverage is better than Funi, AnimeLab and Wakanim combined.

That one is another can of worms entirely, especially because of Wakanim Russia's continued existence, which holds a lot of countries streaming rights hostage - including San Marino of all things - where Russian is not spoken; which is going to be rendered soon to be irrelevant due to the Crunchyroll acquisition. But that doesn't excuse Sentai's bullshit. You're supposed to widen streaming rights for a sequel of a series, not to narrow them down.

EDIT: and if this is about blu-rays, it's especially pointless because not many people buy blu-rays compared to how many are streaming right now. Not even in Japan for a while now.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:40 am Reply with quote
tfwnoymir wrote:
You're supposed to widen streaming rights for a sequel of a series, not to narrow them down.

US businesses are under no obligation to license anime for the entire world. Where does this "supposed to widen streaming rights for sequels" command come from? Audiences for sequel series usually decrease from what they were for previous entries, since some will choose to stop watching after the previous series.

Manga pack-in OVAs are generally extremely difficult, if not impossible to license. Not Sentai's fault there, and the same thing happens with plenty of series licensed by CR, Funi, and others

Farhanawesome wrote:
Well, Non non biyori was popular and yet Sentai FIlmworks is not going to dub it. i wonder whats its the reason Sentai Filmworks not going to dub this anime ?

Probably the same reason they didn't dub KinMoza, A-Channel, Is the Order a Rabbit?, the Strawberry Marshmallow OVAs, Hidamari Sketch, and any number of other slice-of-life / "cute girls doing cute things" titles: because they're not interested in losing money. Those shows certainly have their dedicated fanbases, but the presence of an English audio track doesn't bring enough extra sales from the mainstream/casual crowd to recover the dubbing costs.
Farhanawesome

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:00 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

Probably the same reason they didn't dub KinMoza, A-Channel, Is the Order a Rabbit?, the Strawberry Marshmallow OVAs, Hidamari Sketch, and any number of other slice-of-life / "cute girls doing cute things" titles: because they're not interested in losing money. Those shows certainly have their dedicated fanbases, but the presence of an English audio track doesn't bring enough extra sales from the mainstream/casual crowd to recover the dubbing costs.

then How, The Demon Girl Next door or The Wasteful days of Highschool girls get english dub its also CGDCT.
bennyl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:38 am Reply with quote
If Funnyroll wanted this, they would have it. Another improbable win for Sentai after Redo of Healer.
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:54 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
tfwnoymir wrote:
You're supposed to widen streaming rights for a sequel of a series, not to narrow them down.

US businesses are under no obligation to license anime for the entire world. Where does this "supposed to widen streaming rights for sequels" command come from? Audiences for sequel series usually decrease from what they were for previous entries, since some will choose to stop watching after the previous series.

Manga pack-in OVAs are generally extremely difficult, if not impossible to license. Not Sentai's fault there, and the same thing happens with plenty of series licensed by CR, Funi, and others

Tired of the same argument over and over. Right now these companies rule the streaming rights for most of the world, this is the reality we live in. No company is going to license it separately for places like Eastern Europe or MENA, they don't have the money for that: US companies do. All they do with these steps is encouraging piracy and then blame us when we do exactly that.

EDIT: also an addendum, Sentai was the one who licensed the first two seasons in the first place, so it's a stepback on their own front.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Farhanawesome wrote:

So if Sentai Going to dub this anime the Dub cast probably like this.

Hotaru Ichijou - Emily Neves
Komari Koshigaya - Jad Saxton
Natsumi Koshigaya - Juliet Simmons
Renge Miyauchi - Sarah Wiedenheft/ Jad Saxton / Hillary Haag
Kaede Kagayama - Avery Smithhart
Hikage Miyauchi - Genevieve Simmons
Kazuho Miyauchi - Monica Rial

I hope sentai see this anime had a justify to do an english dub Re-release.

If Sentai were ever going to dub Non Non Biyori, I think it would have probably happened already, certainly by the time they released the movie.

But I do like your choice of Genevieve Simmons for "best character" Hikage Miyauchi since she was perfect as Mikoto Urabe in Mysterious Girlfriend X and I usually don't even care for dubs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nDroae

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Farhanawesome wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:

then How, The Demon Girl Next door or The Wasteful days of Highschool girls get english dub its also CGDCT.

Wasteful Days is first and foremost a comedy, like Azumanga Daioh. Demon Girl Next Door is more plot-driven than most Kirara titles, and may have more appeal outside the CGDCT fanbase than the others. I've showed my mom parts of Sentai's Hakumei & Mikochi dub, which I think works fine as a general audience family show, certainly better than Non Non Biyori would where in season 1 you get a closeup of eleven-year-old Hotaru's breasts in a bikini.

If you really want a baffling pick, it's Chidori RSC, a boring show about a boring sport (sniping a stationary target with a laser gun) that wasn't even popular within the CGDCT fanbase.
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-12-01/sentai-filmworks-unveils-chidori-rsc-anime-english-dub-cast/.166929

Maybe they're just dubbing a lot more now than they used to. I would expect that if Non Non Biyori started now, rather than in 2013, they would be dubbing it.

EDIT: Just thought of another they did, 2018's Mitsuboshi Colors, a show that drew more comparisons to Non Non Biyori than most CGDCT do. Of course the elementary school kids were voiced by women in their 30's.
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-04-03/sentai-filmworks-reveals-mitsuboshi-colors-anime-english-dub-cast-with-trailer/.145330

Last edited by nDroae on Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I obviously wasn't paying attention because I had no idea that this was getting a 3rd season. I watched the 1st season and liked it, but it never fully clicked for me because the only characters I liked were Renge and Candy Store.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1