• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
So I'm a Spider, So What? (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:54 am Reply with quote

So I'm a Spider, So What? (TV)

Genres: action, comedy, drama, fantasy
Themes: alienation, aquired skills, dungeon, heroes, isekai, leveling up, parallel world, video game

Plot Summary: After a Japanese classroom was destroyed by a mysterious explosion all the students reincarnated as humans on a fantasy world except for a female student who had the lowest reputation on the classroom, she was reincarnated as a spider monster. Being the weakest monster on the dungeon she need to survive using all her human intellect and courage.
----------------------------------

Anime adaptation of the light novel. Crunchyroll streamed a preview of the episode this week.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:14 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I had heard talks about this series a while back, and it had actually gotten me interested, an interesting idea of an isekai where the heroine is a spider a monster. I might have gotten a feeling of a bit of disappointment when I saw that it was a Crunchyroll original, the majority of those have not been very good. But, this first episode was actually really good, which makes me happy because I had kind of been building it up in my head without really knowing much.

Just looks like a fun concept to have a main character seem to have some actual limitations on them, being an inhuman spider. Reincarnated as a Slime might have started with that, but I think that it kind of solved things too much with making Rimuru god tier rather quickly, even getting a human shape, and its whole sage thing quickly became a crutch just to have everything explained. Which is why I laughed when our spider heroine leaned on the trope of a light novel having such an overpowered ability, a bit worried when it looked like she might get it too, and then laughed again when her ability seems to just be able to tell her the obvious, for now. Going back a bit on the point about restrictions, it reminds me of a specific type of fun I would have when playing something like Skyrim, and I would have a bit of extra fun with a character by imposing specific limitations, so a character could not just be used like any other one. I am interested to see what the path of being a spider monster will be.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:27 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

She managed to be able evolve in this episode, with the choices of "Lesser" or "Small" version of species. Going for Small seems like the good choice if she does not want to eventually turn into her spider mum, a giant behemoth that would probably have to stay in the cave. The episode also seemed to imply at the end that the egg she found was her bully, taken from the dungeon by some adventurers to somehow end up as the pet of a prince. Understanding that the events of her classmates are happening at a different time to our heroine, if they are all happening from birth or when they have consciousness.

A spider and a dragon do kind of look like on the opposite ends of monster archtypes in fantasy, being one that grows fast and another that grows slowly. I would also think the dragon girl may be in luck in ways, since it is fairly common in fantasy for dragons to turn into people, so I imagine she could forgo cool evolution for one that allows a human shape. But our heroine, the closest that comes to mind is an arachne, if she is so lucky.

Also, the fatal flaw of making your entire home out of webs, they don't do well with fire.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I have to say, this show is really surprising me, in a good way.
I had no good expectations for this based off the premise...but this plucky spider has really caught me in her web!

If there was in inference that the egg was her reincarnated bully I somehow missed that, although I do recall it going to be her enemy as a spider. I'm not going to go re-watch, I'll just see what comes, this show just makes me enjoy it and smile at this little...er...small spider. In fact, weren't her schoolmates saying she was the only one unaccounted for? Honestly I forgot her name, so I could be wrong if it was her they meant, but I thought it was.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:15 am Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:
If there was in inference that the egg was her reincarnated bully I somehow missed that, although I do recall it going to be her enemy as a spider. I'm not going to go re-watch, I'll just see what comes, this show just makes me enjoy it and smile at this little...er...small spider. In fact, weren't her schoolmates saying she was the only one unaccounted for? Honestly I forgot her name, so I could be wrong if it was her they meant, but I thought it was.

Mostly a guess on my part. If they all reincarnated at around the same time, I am guessing that they would all be babies, while our heroine has a bit of a head start in terms of mobility. The implication is that the bully as a dragon is a pet to the classmate who is a prince, so I presume at some point in time he was gifted her, and in our spider heroine's time a group of adventurers are taking such an egg. It would be wrong if the events are happening simultaneously, but then our heroine would have reincarnated long after the others.

Maybe no inference, but guesses along the lines that such a dragon egg being taken around the time they were newly born in that world, a dragon maybe would take longer to hatch, that it does not seem out of possibility that there is a connection. It also opens up to a bit of irony that dragon girl is concerned over the location of (I think) Kumoko, when her ex victim could have tried to eat her, or there is the idea of an alternate path where the two were together.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:45 am Reply with quote
I really like our heroine. Formerly bullied as a human, she doesn't let that shitty experience from trying her hardest as a spider. I like the job Aoi Yuki is doing with her voice (she's super cute in real life if her ANNcyclopedia pic is anything to go by - not that should be surprising given how super cute most seiyuu's tend to be for some reason).

I'm a bit confused about why Spidey reincarnated as a baby while others in her class appear like they weren't. DP's suggestion that we might be seeing the characters at different points in time (before they inevitably intersect) makes sense.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I like the job Aoi Yuki is doing with her voice (she's super cute in real life if her ANNcyclopedia pic is anything to go by - not that should be surprising given how super cute most seiyuu's tend to be for some reason).

I've been a fan of Aoi-san's ever since her anime debut as Kuhouin Murasaki in Kure-nai. Her two recent performances as Boogiepop and as the cursed sword in Thunderbolt Fantasy SwordSeekers2 are quite different from Kumoko. She uses a lower, darker register in both those shows. I've always thought Aoi displayed a keen intelligence in her performances much like her mentor, Sawashiro Miyuki, or an earlier favorite of mine, Kuwashima Houko.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Aoi Yuuki. An example of fun role of hers I can think of is the titular character of Tanya the Evil, where she can go from goofy to frightening.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Zomg, she's Tanya??? I feel like I really should have known that, but yeah, she is super awesome in that role.

I was kind of proud of myself recently as I was watching 3x3 Eyes and heard a seiyuu's voice that sounded very familiar. I looked him up and it was Houchu Ohtsuka who is basically the go to guy any time an anime needs an older sounding dude. He was Sato in Ajin among a ton of other stuff. I guess I shouldn't be too impressed with myself because he does have a distinctive voice... but then again that 3x3 Eyes role was 25 years ago, so maybe I deserve a little bit of props?

So often I think I recognize a voice and then I look it up and I'm totally wrong.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I've been a fan of hers since Gosick. Isn't she also Madoka?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Good lord, she was! What a range.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:42 pm Reply with quote
And Kayo, the abused girl from ERASED.

So versatile.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:29 am Reply with quote
After watching the last episode I have to think (and I could be super wrong) that all the class mates were reincarnated at the same time, but somehow most got put into people about the age they were already, like they just took over the body. The way they were saying call it by the name they are used to hearing, and reminding each other things that if they'd have grown up in that body they should have already known without talking about it so much...unless it's all just awkward exposition so we know what's going on...but that makes less sense to me.

Also hearing you all talk about all Aoi Yuuki and her great number of roles made me realize I rarely pay that close of attention to female voices role to role...
I definitely pay more attention to male voices, perhaps because that is what I am attracted...I never realized how little I paid attention to think that way about women though.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:35 am Reply with quote
I did like the Spider-Man like bit in the most recent episode.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:45 pm Reply with quote
This is too funny (to me). The discussion about seiyuus here inspired me to look up Chiaki Omigawa because certainly in And Yet the Town Moves she had one of the most, uh, "distinctive" voice around. I actually liked it, but for some people it was like nails down a chalkboard. Anyway, I didn't think I had heard her for a while and I was right. She doesn't have a huge resume and hasn't been in too much recently.

But what made me laugh? I went to ANN's Encyclopedia entry for And Yet the Town Moves to get the proper spelling of her name and guess who gets second billing in that series?

Yep, Aoi Yuuki. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2