• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Suppose a Kid From the Last Dungeon Boonies Moved to a Starter Town (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:38 am Reply with quote

Suppose a Kid From the Last Dungeon Boonies Moved to a Starter Town (TV)

Genres: adventure, fantasy

Plot Summary: Lloyd is a novice adventurer whose dream is to discover “true strength” in the capital he's always admired, despite growing up with neighbors who always considered him weak. He departs his hometown, which just so happens to be located right next to one of the most dangerous dungeons in the world. Lloyd may think of himself as powerless, but when he goes to the city that serves as the starter town for adventurers, the difference between him and everyone else couldn't be starker.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Mhm, this feels like the one that I could most easily recommend. A reviewer made me think of what series in particular it feels most worth comparing, which is Bofuri. An overpowered protagonist who has no right being as overpowered as they are, while also incredibly sweet and cute. You get a lot of people overreacting to how stupidly overpowered they are.

My favourite part of the episode would probably be the parts that had people recognise how dangerously overpowered he is, such be as the on prosthetic armed merc calmly assessing everyone but totally terrified by the cute boy sitting next to her. Followed by her questioning the captain "what is that?", and him seeming to just keeping it contained that he has no idea either. Whatever happened with the tests, he did not pass. Wondering if he just was no good at the written part, he would be considered too dangerous among the common soldiers, or some other mistake is why he did not get in.

I also enjoyed bits like the witch getting a curse of minor annoyance level bad luck. And I did laugh at the yandere thing, although maybe many people won't find it funny.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:12 am Reply with quote
This definitely seems like a keeper. Often times an OP protag puts me off, but in this case the humour compensates. Kind of like Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear did for me. Will look forward to this every week.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:14 am Reply with quote
Bofuri? The work this reminds me the most of is Tenchi Muyo: War on Geminar. Like that one, it's not that the protagonist is knowingly overpowered, it's that he comes from a place where he knows he is in so uncertain terms underpowered. Amusingly, this couldn't have been a straight isekai because the protagonist has to come from greater power fantasy to a lesser one, one of my favorite aspects of War on Geminar. And it can't be Bofuri because neither Lloyd or Kenshi can do achievements in ignorance; They're capable, they know they are, they just don't know how other people aren't.

But one of the things that made my eye twitch a bit was the naming. Lloyd Belladonna is good if slightly confused in what "Belladonna" really means in Italian but then there's Riho Flavin and Lidocaine and then I get the feeling someone in lieu of coming up with ideas went to a drug store.

I love the way how episode one ended, even though it's blatantly taking inspiration from how Japanese exam results are handed out in a blameless/faceless/callous manner. It's a good "now what?" hook.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Yes, the creation of names in anime and manga has always been a pet peeve of mine. It's what you get when you know that your primary audience won't be familiar with the language you take the names from.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I am a little confused, what is wrong with having Belladonna as a surname? I am thinking that even Japanese anime is not alone in this, since Belladonna is also a surname used in the English RWBY.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I was more reacting to Riho Flavin and Lidocaine. Those are just lazy.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:14 pm Reply with quote
@DuskyPredator

Belladonna has an odd history. It is an alternate name for deadly nightshade. The word is Italian and is literally translated as "beautiful woman". Belladonna juice causes the eyes to dilate (and is sometimes used by optometrists for this purpose). In Italy during the renaissance dilated pupils were considered alluring, hence "beautiful woman". In too strong a concentration it can be poisonous.

Note, deadly nightshade is related to tomatoes, which were considered poisonous by early North American settlers.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I still don't see the problem with the name. Some surnames are like literally just saying they are the son of someone with another name. So the name means "beautiful lady", I don't see how the phrase would necessarily have to be rulled by its also use with a poisonous plant, or a particular use in dilating eyes. A surname that means a poison is pretty cool anyway. All names were just made up anyway, kind of like how we all go by internet names.

Could you imagine going by said internet names. For the note, the "Predator" in my own name was decided on the movie franchise, and it has been a bit embarrassing after realising that the word could have other implications, which I don't know if I will ever be able to get away from now.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:06 am Reply with quote
I think "Belladonna" was intended as the poison mushroom or Nightshade which has a deadly yet friendly feel to it. No, the curious thing is Belladonna/"Beautiful woman" is the family name and I'm more familiar with it as a given name. How would that even work? Smiths were smiths, Carpenters were carpenters, the Belladonnas were...

Moving on quickly.... If this turned out to be true I'd be both impressed and worried.

Still that's merely odd compared to Miss Vitamin and Mr Ointment. I never laughed at Pina Co Lado in GATE as the show was in on the joke and in story it was just yet another embarrassment she met head on, overcame and moved past. Here the author changed Ribo to Riho so he knew it stood out but then did it anyway. There's also Alka which is pretty much what I think it is?

And then there's Marie because of course there is.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

With them all in the academy now, I do like the friendship stuff. Selen was even more concerned for Riho after hearing her story, despite being on a literal date with Selen's stalker crush. Although Alan is being becoming a bit of a chew toy despite his nice character growth.

We were also introduced to an older student, Micona, who was kind of unfairly going after Lloyd not even allowed in the magic competition because he would totally accidentally kill someone. Turns out she has a totally cute crush on Marie, who apparently has helped her through some times, and what goes from probably some maybe jealousy of Lloyd over staying with Marie, seems to have crush her in how she can see that Marie likes Lloyd. A little disappointed then that someone seems to be taking advantage of her despair to some end, so she is probably going to be used as a manipulated villain, which I think might be bad because I kind of like her character.

Lloyd also might think that Marie is weird now because he happened to find her naked on the floor, after she turned back from being turned into a butterfly.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:07 am Reply with quote
Funniest anime moment of the year... so far... is Lloyd finding a nude Marie on the floor in their common room at night and he only responded by backing back through the door without saying a single word. Lloyd's life with Alka probably had him live through similar experiences.

Let's see, the show proposed three types of magic casting: incantation, runic/magic circles and using magical equipment... I'm not sure why it didn't occur to anyone that Lloyd would be a controllable top tier castor using the worst of wands or whatever

Marie, Chrome and Lloyd went out to fetch the Magic Sword, possibly THE Magic Sword... not Excalibur or the Sword in the Stone, I think it's the Master Sword from Zelda... only to use it as a prize in a minor match between two rival magic schools within Militrary Academies... I have to ask, is Marie using Lloyd to troll the entire world? I mean, it seems it will end up in Riho's Mithril grip and Marie's an information broker so she must have known Riho's past, the fact she's being pursued and the reason her arm is... I just thought it was a gauntlet of some type... but then why not just give it to her...Marie knew it has to have a slight chance of going to her former student first before going rightfully to Riho? Maybe, I guess?

Marie isn't playing 4-D chess, she's controlling a game of Checkers between two people and all their moves are exactly as Marie wants them to go. But then there's the question of "Why?"
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:30 am Reply with quote
I honestly do like Marie's character a lot. We don't know a lot about her but the different parts make her interesting. Which is why I kind of don't want her defined by a relationship to Lloyd, was a teensy disappointed when she was on the end of thinking that Lloyd had interest in her until he said it was Riho he was concerned with. I like the idea of her just infatuated at having him for domestic purposes that she fails at, other than just caring about him kind of a familiar way.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Did this episode look off to anyone besides me? Like, the characters kept looking squattier or beefier or slightly deformed...I honestly do not remember that looking that way the first several episodes, so maybe I'm wrong...

My favorite part of the show if Lloyd himself just being so certain he isn't special. Don't worry about me, your hand doesn't effect me because I'm a nobody. I pulled this sword out just to clean up around here...when they were using it later as a prize I thought that was funny. I can't take anything bout this show serious, but it's a bit fun at least.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Along with Heaven's Design Team, this is the funniest anime of the season. It reminds me a lot of Konosuba, but without the isekai bs and how it just revels in its humor and comedy.

While the most recent episode was different in terms of production values, it was still very funny.

Honestly, this should be the fantasy anime people die on a hill for.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2