• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tubi TV Adds Dr. Slump, Saint Seiya: Hades, One Piece, Toriko, Slam Dunk, More Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Holy shit, Dr Slump TV show for the first time available with a legal English translation, hope it's the whole show. Now give us the original Dragon Quest Dai! Very Happy

Edit: Hmm press release says only 500 episodes total are being added. Since Dr Slump is nearly 250 episodes, Toriko like 150, Gegege no Kitaro 100, Slam Dunk 100, and One Piece nearly 1000 episodes, I wonder how this will be distributed.

Last edited by LegitPancake on Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:47 pm Reply with quote
The Saintia Sho anime is awful (READ THE MANGA), so that's nothing, but we're finally getting the Hades arc there too? Alright, hope it gets dubbed also by the same dub cast. Very Happy
Animechic420

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean Slam Dunk might get a better dub?
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
The Saintia Sho anime is awful (READ THE MANGA), so that's nothing, but we're finally getting the Hades arc there too? Alright, hope it gets dubbed also by the same dub cast. Very Happy

I thought the Saintia Sho was pretty good.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I hope that Tubi eventually gets the 2007, 1996, 1985, 1971 and 1968 iterations of GeGeGe no Kitaro. Unlikely, of course, but maybe the 2007 and 1996 versions? This has to be the most rebooted franchise in anime history. Especially impressive when you consider that it's not just a one- or two-cours reboot each time but often close to, or more than, 100 episodes.

And I'm not even counting Hakaba Kitaro which was an awesome origin story for the franchise.
Weird Guy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:18 pm Reply with quote
cyberdraco wrote:
Sailor Sedna wrote:

Its garbage...poorly adapted and cheap animation and recycled visuals from SS: Omega...they should let the franchise die already
Matros

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Weird Guy wrote:
cyberdraco wrote:
Sailor Sedna wrote:

Its garbage...poorly adapted and cheap animation and recycled visuals from SS: Omega...they should let the franchise die already

Well... considering all SS shows haven't been made in-house after Omega, it's more or less dead.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:37 pm Reply with quote
cyberdraco wrote:

It really sucks compared to the manga version, trying to cram like 7 volumes into 10 episodes, also not counting the poor quality art and animation. It's the Saint Seiya anime equivalent of the animated 1978 Lord of the Rings movie.

Oh no, Toei, don't actually outsource it to a good animation studio like Sunrise or AIC, outsource it to GONZO instead. Rolling Eyes
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Any chance some of these could get dubbed?
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I hope that Tubi eventually gets the 2007, 1996, 1985, 1971 and 1968 iterations of GeGeGe no Kitaro.

Yeah, it'd be pretty cool to see the older versions of GeGeGe no Kitaro on Tubi.

Blood- also wrote:
Unlikely, of course, but maybe the 2007 and 1996 versions?

Why do find them unlikely, besides the fact that they have 100 or more episodes?

Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Any chance some of these could get dubbed?

Maybe. We'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited by OjaruFan2 on Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mewzard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Matros wrote:
Weird Guy wrote:
cyberdraco wrote:
Sailor Sedna wrote:

Well... considering all SS shows haven't been made in-house after Omega, it's more or less dead.

The franchise is thriving quite well in manga form with many ongoing series (and apparently, the original manga is getting re-released as a "Final Edition" with touched up visuals, dialogue, and such):

http://kurumadapro.com/column/detail.php?id=92

A new batch of Next Dimension chapters is coming:

It's a decent time for the franchise. The anime is finally getting some love in America thanks to Netflix, which is nice. I do hope these episodes eventually get dubbed, like the OG anime was.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I feel I should point out that it doesn't clarify which Dr. Slump is coming to Tubi: the original 1981-1986 series, or the remake from 1997-1999.

Fun fact: The original Dr. Slump was replaced in its time slot by the original Dragon Ball. I'm told there's even a preview for the first episode of Dragon Ball that aired with the final episode of "Dr. Slump [and] Arale-chan" (as the original show is actually called).

Also the remake (which replaced Dragon Ball GT in its timeslot) was replaced by none other than...One Piece, although it would be a number of years before One Piece would move to its current timeslot on Sunday mornings.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:36 pm Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:

Blood- also wrote:
Unlikely, of course, but maybe the 2007 and 1996 versions?

Why do find them unlikely, besides the fact that they have 100 or more episodes?

I probably shouldn't have counted the 1985 version as unlikely. For me, I'd be surprised to see the 1971 or 1968 shows simply because they are so old. I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong, though.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Dr. Slump is going to be shown legally and with subtitles for the first time??? Shocked

FINALLY!

I'm just hoping that they start with the original 1980s series!
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:32 am Reply with quote
Here's hoping the subs for Hades & Slump aren't too crappy since it's expected to have the typical Toeilation issues.

As for One Piece, it's already up and as expected, the early episodes are the 16:9 Special Edition versions that's on Crunchyroll (together with 4:3), Netflix & Pluto TV.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2