• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Streams Fruits Basket The Final Season's Episode 1 on March 19

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeFan617
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Geez, with this, Zach Synder's JL, Falcon and the Winter Soldier, and my usual anime simulcasts, this week is definitely stacked.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:52 am Reply with quote
Although I had a sliver of hope for an advanced screening when I saw multiple other international licensors screening the episode online, I honestly wasn't expecting this purely due to the whole dub process being less streamlined than before with remote recording. They must have received materials a fair amount of time in advance once again.

Also, Funimation has so many dubs currently in the works, including some very high priority ones (Attack on Titan is still in the middle of its dub run, and MHA starts up in a couple weeks). I'm sure Fruits Basket is high on their priority list too, but given the workload and challenges, I wouldn't have expected the same-day release schedule this time around. So seriously, major props to everyone working on it!
Sisyphusson66

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:54 am Reply with quote
I take it this dub only?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:19 am Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
Although I had a sliver of hope for an advanced screening when I saw multiple other international licensors screening the episode online, I honestly wasn't expecting this purely due to the whole dub process being less streamlined than before with remote recording. They must have received materials a fair amount of time in advance once again.

Also, Funimation has so many dubs currently in the works, including some very high priority ones (Attack on Titan is still in the middle of its dub run, and MHA starts up in a couple weeks). I'm sure Fruits Basket is high on their priority list too, but given the workload and challenges, I wouldn't have expected the same-day release schedule this time around. So seriously, major props to everyone working on it!

It's definitely surprising that they can start early considering. I'm also hoping that if they are getting material this early, then there is a better chance of maintaining a consistent schedule.

Funimation has been outsourcing to other studios lately, too. Like you said, they have a lot in recording right now, and with several that probably cut ahead on the priority list, so I imagine having to hire some help was the only feasible way to keep up.

Sisyphusson66 wrote:
I take it this dub only?

I would guess as much considering prior seasons.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering how stable dubbing for this season is going to be moving forward, especially with Laura Bailey (who isn't part of the message stream).
yoerik

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:03 am Reply with quote
Sisyphusson66 wrote:
I take it this dub only?

unless they somehow stole the subtitled rights back from Crunchyroll, I'd say so, especially given the wording of Funimation's blog post. It's very clearly dub only.

Any announcement of a Subtitled early premiere would have to be from Crunchyroll.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1