• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: SPY×FAMILY GN 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boldulysses

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:10 pm Reply with quote
As with the previous 3, I loved this volume. It just seems to move from strength to strength with each new addition to the cast. Agree about Yor being underdeveloped, though. Her characterization is just really thin and she doesn't have an overarching goal like Loid and Anya.
Hal14

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That means that we don't have a brilliant kid and a preternaturally genius dog pursuing the bad guys – it's just your average small child/large dog duo, kind of like if Clifford the Big Red Dog had to stop the bombing of an embassy.

I especially love the part where Anya realized she can't tell time Laughing .
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Good dog. Best friend.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Great volume. One of my ongoing favorite manga, which is edging many other manga out for my best of the best.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:40 pm Reply with quote
boldulysses wrote:
As with the previous 3, I loved this volume. It just seems to move from strength to strength with each new addition to the cast. Agree about Yor being underdeveloped, though. Her characterization is just really thin and she doesn't have an overarching goal like Loid and Anya.

It appears that the author is bad at Yor and based on reviews and comments, it makes me think that Yor is another Sakura. When SxF gets anime, I imagine people on online are gonna call Yor "useless" and "Sakura 2.0".
reaslin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:34 am Reply with quote
HAL14 wrote:
Quote:
That means that we don't have a brilliant kid and a preternaturally genius dog pursuing the bad guys – it's just your average small child/large dog duo, kind of like if Clifford the Big Red Dog had to stop the bombing of an embassy.

I especially love the part where Anya realized she can't tell time Laughing .

Some readers, who are used to fictional kids being brilliant, may not realize that Anya is pretty smart as far as five-year-olds go, just not a genius.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:18 am Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
boldulysses wrote:

It appears that the author is bad at Yor and based on reviews and comments, it makes me think that Yor is another Sakura. When SxF gets anime, I imagine people on online are gonna call Yor "useless" and "Sakura 2.0".

Uh this is completely a different problem than what happened to Sakura. She and Yor are not even remotely similar to the most basic level aside from both being women.
reaslin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:03 am Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
ErikaD.D wrote:
boldulysses wrote:

Uh this is completely a different problem than what happened to Sakura. She and Yor are not even remotely similar to the most basic level aside from both being women.

Underdeveloped or not, a mother who will tear anyone apart who tries to hurt her daughter can hardly be considered useless. She works as a character, even if she could -- and perhaps will -- be more fleshed out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1