• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Weird World Of "Sword Art Online" Games.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:13 am Reply with quote
Over the years,"Sword Art Online's" been a popular franchise. With all the manga,anime,and light novels attached to it,it's no surprise that it would inspire video games. Heck,the whole franchise is based on a fictional game,so why not make real games based on them? Basically,I found out about these games on YouTube,so why not tell people about them?
Here's the thing. Some of these games will differ from the established canon. There was one game in which they brought in two characters that show up later in the franchise,Leafa and Sinon. How they ended up there,I won't spoil,but I will say this. The scene in which Leafa tells Kirito how she got there is really sweet,so you can approach it in one of three ways. The first is getting plenty of Kleenex handy because you're going to need it when you see it. The second is getting a ton of insulin on hand because it's going to be needed just in case because it's so saccharine. The third way is cringing yourself into a ball because you might know what this might imply.

Many things may be different across the different versions of this franchise but one thing remains the same. Kirito's talent for somehow gathering cute girls around him is one of the great consistencies throughout this whole thing. In one episode of the "Sword Art Online" anime,there was a nurse who was examining Kirito and she made no secret of the fact she liked him. Basically,she called him "handsome" and other things like that. You can bet that Kirito's female admirers wouldn't have liked her one bit if they knew about her.
It's no different in the games. Basically,one of the games has two original game characters in it and they're both female. It's not surprising that Asuna and the other members of Kirito's female fan club aren't exactly thrilled about it because it means more competition for them. In a lot of ways,it's enjoyable to see. There are guys out there in real life who have no idea why they appeal to women so much so why not have someone like that in fiction?

This extends into one of the most recent games based on "SAO." It's based on the Alicization arc and basically it's similar to the series but in one different aspect. In this game,Eugeo is still alive and kicking and basically gets to meet Kirito's little harem. Now,I wouldn't be surprised if Eugeo has one of two very valid reactions to this. He'll ask him who are those girls and how the heck does he know them. The other would be to poke him in the ribs with with a knowing smile and say to him "You hound,"or something like that.
And,just like in the series,Alice and Asuna are fighting over Kirito. But,there's something else,too. There's a scene in which Fanatio takes Kirito on an assignment with her and basically helps him. He doesn't say a lot of about it to Alice because he knows she's not going to be too happy about it. And,you can bet that she doesn't like the fact that Kirito has a female fan club.

I don't know if anyone here has any of these games but if you do,tell me about it. I'd love to know more about them so please,tell me what you think about this whole thing. One thing's for sure,they're interesting to watch on YouTube but what are they like to play? I also hope you let me know that as well.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:16 am; edited 1 time in total
francisbaud

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:23 am Reply with quote
Which one(s) of the Sword Art Online games are you referring to?
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:05 am Reply with quote
Well,francisbaud. The first game I saw was "Sword Art Online:Hollow Fragment." That's the one in which there's...um...all that stuff about his little harem not exactly thrilled that there's more competition for them to win Kirito. It also had that scene in which Leafa talked to Kirito about how she came to SAO. The other one is "Sword Art Online:Alicization Lycoris." That's the one in which Eugeo's still alive and is able to meet Kirito's little female fan club. I hope that helps.
francisbaud

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Well,francisbaud. The first game I saw was "Sword Art Online:Hollow Fragment." That's the one in which there's...um...all that stuff about his little harem not exactly thrilled that there's more competition for them to win Kirito. It also had that scene in which Leafa talked to Kirito about how she came to SAO. The other one is "Sword Art Online:Alicization Lycoris." That's the one in which Eugeo's still alive and is able to meet Kirito's little female fan club. I hope that helps.
I see, thanks for the explanation. I've already heard of SAO and only know very broadly what SAO is about.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:06 am Reply with quote
No problem,francisbaud. I'm happy to help. Thanks for responding. That made me happy that someone did that.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:33 am Reply with quote
I admit,I forgot to tell you guys this earlier. Be careful when getting the "Sword Art Online" games. They don't have a English dub on them. Yeah,I know. A shame. I don't know why they didn't get the English voices to do this but they didn't. I hope one day,they do an English dub for these games but for right now,we should be happy that we have them period.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Video Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1