• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo Babylon 2021 Anime Canceled With Restart Planned, After More Plagiarism Uncovered

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catbot158

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Good going, Gohands. Guess we'll see what studio they'll get to do the anime, definitely won't come out for a few years at least.
JennLegacy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Not looking good for GoHands. I've never seen something like this happen before. Genuinely wondering if they're even going to survive after a PR disaster this big.
tintor2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:57 pm Reply with quote
It's like non of Clamp's manga have a proper anime due either original anime content (kobato) or simply get the worst studio (Tsubasa)
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Crisis averted. This project was a disaster waiting to happen. Still recall seeing the excitement drain from a friend's face when I told them GoHands were doing it
taishou*

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:10 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
or simply get the worst studio (Tsubasa)

Take that back, I like Bee Train. Sad Certainly more creatively interesting than gohands.

Anyways, good. Hopefully we'll get a decent studio working on this now. Gohands hasn't made anything remotely decent since K, which was still very flawed.
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Probably the best possible thing that could've happened with the show. Now maybe the characters will actually look like themselves, and it won't look like an eye-searing mess of post-production.
TichoSlicer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:12 pm Reply with quote
This is so funny and unbelievable LMAO
Oggers

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:13 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
It's like non of Clamp's manga have a proper anime due either original anime content (kobato) or simply get the worst studio (Tsubasa)

Cardcaptor Sakura and Magic Knight Rayearth turned out fine. Though that's likely because the members of CLAMP were pretty involved with the anime adaptations of both.

That said, this particular anime felt doomed from the beginning. In the previews it barely looked or felt like a CLAMP work at all, and the fact that it was from the studio behind Hand Shakers, an anime that's known for giving people nausea just from watching it, didn't give me much hope either. It's a shame that there's been so many problems with this production, especially with plagiarism.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Damn, sucks that it's being delayed even more but hopefully we'll get a better studio that Gohands to do it instead.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Wow! Did GoHands really think that they could get away with plagiarism because they had big enough backers for this? Hope they just go away now, there are much better CGI studios...
#Bird_Black

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Talk about crisis averted. Weird to be happy about an anime getting canceled, yet here we are.

I doubt we'll ever get the details on what else was stolen, but I'd love to know!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Maybe when they restart this they can ditch the idea of this taking place in modern day. I'd prefer if it took place at the time it was written, in the early 90s.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:47 pm Reply with quote
#Bird_Black wrote:
...I doubt we'll ever get the details on what else was stolen, but I'd love to know!
I'd be willing to bet it was way more than two designs. My daughter also informs that you don't mess with Volks, they are international, copywrite literally every detail and they have successfully sued for much less. That could be a big reason for the action, they have deep pockets and that was an absolute copy (forget "inspired by").

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
norbjunior

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm annoyed that we have to wait longer but I'm hopeful that it'll maybe actually look like CLAMP!!
Abraham Omosun

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:52 pm Reply with quote
#Bird_Black wrote:
Wow. Talk about crisis averted. Weird to be happy about an anime getting canceled, yet here we are.

I doubt we'll ever get the details on what else was stolen, but I'd love to know!

Saw this on twitter:https://mobile.twitter.com/otomebunny/status/1376348534400643074. Can someone confirm them?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4