• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Our Most Anticipated Anime Of Spring 2021

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ab2143

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Putting aside sequels (Moriarty & Iruma-kun), these are my most anticipated:

Most anticipated - To your eternity. I've read the first volume and nearly finished with the second. I'm really excited for this. I hope the OST is good.

Runners-up - Shadows House. The plot and setting both sound interesting. Love the character designs too
Dragon goes house-hunting. the premise sounds funny
ODDTAXI. Love the character designs and the setting
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm anticipating more of Mars Red, the 1920's 'we hunt vampires with vampires' show Funy has just started showing. More of a mystery/thriller than a sword fighting show, and took its time and created an atmosphere as well as the look of that time. Pretty high production values, I thought it mixed 2D and 3D well. That maybe was helped by there not being a lot of violent action. Not gory or attempting to be super creepy, which isn't my thing. Kind of theatrical.

Note, the first ep has refs to a play about the biblical story of Salome, because the actress was in rehearsals for it when she got hurt and her brain is stuck repeating lines from the play in a really theatrical style. Which the whole show reminded me more of an art movie than most anime. This might be confusing or off-putting for some folks, but I had heard of the plays and paintings about it, so with my anglo background I didn't find it bad or offensive. I can't imagine how it would seem to Japanese folks. It may be why there was a strong disclaimer put up at the start of the show.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I don't see a low-energy relaxation show this season, which is sad (the closing season had 2 great ones), but maybe I'm just not recognizing one. I thought 'The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent' might scratch that itch, but judging from Rebecca's description, it doesn't sound like it.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:

Note, the first ep has refs to a play about the biblical story of Salome, because the actress was in rehearsals for it when she got hurt and her brain is stuck repeating lines from the play in a really theatrical style...This might be confusing or off-putting for some folks, but I had heard of the plays and paintings about it, so with my anglo background I didn't find it bad or offensive. I can't imagine how it would seem to Japanese folks. It may be why there was a strong disclaimer put up at the start of the show.

It's Oscar Wilde's 1894 play Salome, and the lines she's quoting are actual lines from the play. I don't know how widely translated Wilde's works are in Japanese, but given his status as an author, I wouldn't be surprised if this one had been.

The play originated the idea of Salome's "dance of the seven veils" and the Jokanaan she refers to is also known as John the Baptist.

EDIT: Depending on how they adapt it, The Saint's Magic Power could very well be relaxing. It's about her learning to use her magic to make pharmaceuticals, mostly, and then to heal people, so its focus is much more low-key than a lot of similar stories.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I don't see a low-energy relaxation show this season, which is sad (the closing season had 2 great ones), but maybe I'm just not recognizing one. I thought 'The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent' might scratch that itch, but judging from Rebecca's description, it doesn't sound like it.

I think Super Cub might fit that bill nicely. Now whether it can fill what Yurucamp has left behind is all up in the air.
Hal14

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Just realized my three most anticipated shows are all sequels (In order: Zombieland Revenge, MHA, and Demon school Iruma).

After those three, the non-sequel I'm anticipating the most is 86. The first volume is one of the best LN volumes I've read but after that I kind of dropped it at vol. 3 for no particular reason.

The show I'm most anxious about is the adaptation of TWEWY. I know a lot of video game adaptation (anime or otherwise) stink but TWEWY is my fav DS game and one of my favorites overall, so I'm hopeful.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Most Anticipated: Fruits Basket the Final, The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent, Those Snow White Notes
I adore Fruba, so I'm soooo excited for the finale! It's gonna be so emotional and heartwarming.
I'm looking forward to Saint because it's an isekai for women with a female protagonist, and we NEED more shoujo/josei isekai adaptations.
Snow White Notes sounds reminiscent of Kono Oto Tomare! which is a fave of mine.

Runner-Up: Fairy Ranmaru
It's a magical girl show but with cute boys, so I'm interested.

Continuing: Tropical-Rouge! Pretty Cure
Of COURSE I'll keep watching Pretty Cure, it's so amazing and dear to my heart.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, yeah, a lot of what was on the article is what I'm excited about, for similar reasons (SSSS.Dynazenon, Zombieland Saga 2: Electric Boogaloo, To Your Eternity simply by virtue of being by the same author of A Silent Voice, and Shadows House for just looking neat). But what really takes the cake, the one I have simultaneously the most and the least expectations for is Pretty Boy Detective Club.

It's Nisio Isin, and I love most of what he's done (even the ones people don't like much, like Juuni Taisen, I enjoyed). It's by Shaft, and they've done a lot I've enjoyed (like the Nisio Isin adaptations!). But the premise itself is absolutely something that doesn't sell itself to me (There are pretty boys. They solve mysteries. What else did you expect?), and Shaft is far from their prime (even Zaregoto's aesthetics feeling like Monogatari-Again got on my nerves a little). So really, I'm hopeful it will be good as historically this has elements that absolutely work for me, but I'm also worried it won't do it for me.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Lots of series I'm looking forward to this season.
Definitely watching:
SSSS.Dynazenon - Gridman was great and I'm looking forward to seeing the dragon mech
Zombie Land Saga Revenge - 1st season definitely left me wanting more, I just hope they improve the dance sequences
How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord Omega - Wasn't expecting a 2nd season, but I'm happy to see this come back (though if this is censored I might wait for the BDs)
Combatants Will Be Dispatched! - I love Konosuba (where's season 3?!?) so there's no way I'd miss this
MHA S5: More My Hero, what else needs to be said?
Welcome to Demon School, Iruma-kun S2 - The first season was a great surprise, so I can't wait to see more

Probably watching:
Slime Diary - Not sure what this spin off show is about, but I'll be checking it out regardless
The World Ends With You anime - Hopefully this adaptation is good, because I love the original game
Eden's Zero - Looking forward to checking out Mashima's Fairy Tail follow-up
Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san - The beginning was rough, but I have enjoyed the characters since.
Battle Athletess Daiundoukai ReSTART! - Should be interesting to see how this new series turns out
86 - This seems to be worth checking out base on what I've seen

Considering watching (but probably not weekly):
Shaman King, Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song, Dragon, Ie wo Kau, The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent, Shadows House, I've been killing slimes for 300 years, Gloomy the Naughty Grizzly

...that seems like a lot ^^;
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Besides the usual sequels/continuations like Zombieland Saga and SSSS Dynazenon, I'm actually really excited for Wit Studio's Vivy - Fluorite Eye's Song. From what I read from the round table discussion, I think it will be a better showing than Tappei Nagatsuki's other involvement with Warlords of Sigrdrifa. And I'm a sucker for sci-fi thrillers starring cute female leads! Embarassed

Speaking of which, considering an absolute dearth of female sports anime nowadays, Farewell, My Dear Cramer from the Your Lie in April manga-ka has female soccer. And from what I heard it's less melodrama like the later and more sports drama action. It would be nice if it's on par with Haikyuu.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Most importantly, however, this is being written by esteemed sci-fi author Toh Enjoe

...whooooa, I somehow missed his name being on the Godzilla show all these months. That moves it up on the priority list.

I watched all of the original Battle Athletes in the past year, so I'm curious to see how the new one turns out. Victory, which this seems to take place in the far future of, was a lot better than I expected, so it has something to live up to. It doesn't look like any of the original writers are onboard if I'm not mistaken, though.

(All indications seem to point to it not being directly based on the manga by the same name that ran the last year, not that I'll complain too much if Genocyber suddenly shows up)
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:

Snow White Notes sounds reminiscent of Kono Oto Tomare! which is a fave of mine.

Having just read the first volume of the manga, you're not wrong. Smile
Saeryen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Saeryen wrote:

Having just read the first volume of the manga, you're not wrong. Smile

Ooooh, awesome! Looking forward to it even more now, thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Oggers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:59 pm Reply with quote
The only shows I'm looking forward to so far are sequels (namely Fruits Basket, Zombieland Saga and Thunderbolt Fantasy), but I'll see how the new anime series are faring before I decide to check any of them out.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Going through all the PVs, there's a ton I'm excited to check out at the very least!

Most Anticipated: Its a tie between Fruits Basket's final season and To Your Eternity. Any other season, Fruits Basket would win the prize hands down, but To Your Eternity is also one of my favorite manga series. I adore it and I'm so excited to see the story reach a wider audience.

Runner-Ups: Oh boy uhhh SSSS.Dynazenon, Odd Taxi, MHA S5, MegaloBox: Nomad, Zombieland Saga S2, and Shadows House look really cool. Vivy also looks neat, but I'll probably wait to hear what word of mouth is like before diving in.

And on top of those, as of the time of this writing, Mars Red, Moriarty S2, and Joran: Princess of Snow & Blood had really neat premieres right off the bat.

Also Shaman King but you know... RIP Netflix.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2