• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses 6 Princess Principal: Crown Handler Sequel Films

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jenthehen

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:03 pm Reply with quote
We have to wait until spring 2022??? Or spring right now? This is very unclear.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Nice! They better give them a dub. Also what about the Girls und Panzer final movies!???
Zen119

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:24 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
We have to wait until spring 2022??? Or spring right now? This is very unclear.

According to the official Sentai Filmworks website, it’s Spring 2021.

TheMorry wrote:
Nice! They better give them a dub. Also what about the Girls und Panzer final movies!???

Seconded. Girls und Panzer Das Finale have 3 of 6 parts out now but they got Princess Principal movies licensed instead. Maybe music copyright issues again(like with Katyusha) is preventing the license to happen?

Other than that, I’m still happy that we could see Crown Handler Part 1 soon.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Yeessssssss. So hyped for this.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Did not see this coming! I thought we have to wait for 6 to 8 years until all the films are released in Japan to see anything overseas.

Very excited! Will watch regardless if it is subbed or dubbed.

Last edited by xxmsxx on Thu May 06, 2021 4:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
DarkJak2050

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Huh, guess I better re-watch season 1 again. Given that it's been nearly 4 years since I've last watched it.
Key

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:36 pm Reply with quote
This is my happy news for the day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tsog

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I actually enjoyed the TV series; one of the few personal dark horses of recent years. And good to see Sentai picking up the movies as expected. But what's up with Actas and 6-part movie sequels? If it was recent I'd guess it's due to lack of TV slots and they decide to release to movie theaters instead, but GuP was several years ago.
Zen119

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:12 pm Reply with quote
tsog wrote:
But what's up with Actas and 6-part movie sequels? If it was recent I'd guess it's due to lack of TV slots and they decide to release to movie theaters instead, but GuP was several years ago.

Actas is an animation studio that has an infamous reputation of experiencing production issues/delays when it comes to doing weekly TV anime production schedule. The 2 anime projects that they handled on their own had production issues/delays, namely Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars and Long Riders!. The GuP and Princess Principal production committee might have wisen up on that and possibly thought that releasing it as movies will be more profitable for them than airing it on TV, so the 6-part movie series release schedule was adopted by GuP and PriPri.

Princess Principal TV series was a co-production between Studio 3Hz and Actas so it did not encountered any production issues/delays during its TV run in Japan. But now that Studio 3Hz is out, Actas is solely producing the Princess Principal movies, so it will be done with the 6-part movie thing.

Last edited by Zen119 on Thu May 06, 2021 6:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Excellent! Definitely picking these up.
Millhi

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Zen119 wrote:
tsog wrote:
But what's up with Actas and 6-part movie sequels? If it was recent I'd guess it's due to lack of TV slots and they decide to release to movie theaters instead, but GuP was several years ago.

Actas is an animation studio that has an infamous reputation of experiencing production issues/delays when it comes to doing weekly TV anime production schedule. The 2 anime projects that they handled on their own had production issues/delays, namely Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars and Long Riders!. The GuP and Princess Principal production committee might have wisen up on that and possibly thought that releasing it as movies will be more profitable for them than airing it on TV, so the 6-part movie series release schedule was adopted by GuP and PriPri.

Princess Principal TV series was a co-production between Studio 3Hz and Actas so it did not encountered any production issues/delays during its TV run in Japan. But now that Studio 3Hz is out, Actas is solely producing the Princess Principal movies, so it will be done with the 6-part movie thing.

It's a Bandai decision, not an Actas decision.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Great. With how Sentai has struggled to acquire new anime, them licensing these movies was not a given. I look forward to watching these movies; hopefully they don't take more than 3 years to come out.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I figured they would license it, but still, good news! Especially with it streaming.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:02 am Reply with quote
[quote="Zen119"]
tsog wrote:
he 2 anime projects that they handled on their own had production issues/delays, namely Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars
Oh yeah I remember that they had to go back and redo some cuts from that show, as they weren't done correctly or lacked detail.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:15 am Reply with quote
Millhi wrote:
It's a Bandai decision, not an Actas decision.

Six part movies is a fair way to describe Gundam the Origin or the Space Battleship Yamato 2199 releases, where they all technically premiered as event screenings, with near simultaneous sales of a home video version. Is this similar?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2