• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Muhyo & Roji's Bureau of Supernatural Investigation Anime's 1st Season English Dub Launche

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:37 am Reply with quote
Cool to see a New Generation Pictures dub with such a strong cast...not sure how I feel about Todd Haberkorn being in the lead role, though.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:18 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Cool to see a New Generation Pictures dub with such a strong cast...not sure how I feel about Todd Haberkorn being in the lead role, though.

Well, as long as there's not too much dirt he has at the moment, then I don't much issue. At least Chris Niosi and Vic Mignogna are out of the game.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:28 am Reply with quote
no, Niosi is back. his most recent role was someone in the last ep of Dr Stone season 2
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:30 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
no, Niosi is back. his most recent role was someone in the last ep of Dr Stone season 2

You sure? Because his latest roles were replaced including Sailor Moon Eternal, and I'm not sure a minor role can count as such. The dubbing wiki even says as such that he's inactive in dubbing as of late.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:34 am Reply with quote
he tweeted he was in the show
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:35 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
he tweeted he was in the show

Yeah, but it was still a minor role and would be most likely to be relegated at that, with his main roles being replaced.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:33 am Reply with quote
I completely forgot Muhyo and Roji was getting a dub, it was announced all the way back when S2 was released but I guess covid pushed it back to such a low priority.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
You sure? Because his latest roles were replaced including Sailor Moon Eternal, and I'm not sure a minor role can count as such. The dubbing wiki even says as such that he's inactive in dubbing as of late.

It seemed like compared to the others he at the very least was making more steps to improve or make amends, so I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a bit of give and take with new roles from some places, while other studios cut ties/replace him? Forgiveness isn’t really something anyone can give except those wronged and even then, they obviously don’t have to. That’s their decision and whether they choose to forgive or not is up to them, and they shouldn’t have to feel guilty if they don’t want to, despite him taking those steps to be a better person. I don’t know enough about that situation to know how to feel about it, but it seems like compared to the other two, he has a lot more public support from his peers, so I guess at a point it just comes down to whether I should take the word of those who actually know him? At the same time, voice acting is contract work, and no one owes anyone roles for even the slightest things (like just being unreliable or difficult to work with in the booth). So I guess time will tell, but I don’t really know what to think about it tbh.

At least with the other two, one of them thankfully burned enough bridges that we hopefully won’t hear from him again, and the other I was perfectly fine ignoring since (until recently I guess...) he only had tiny roles from one or two studios and some engineering work.

Last edited by KitKat1721 on Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Seibaa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:55 pm Reply with quote
The thing about Chris Niosi in opposition to the others is that he apologised and far as I can tell generally seems to retain a decent relationship with other voice actors and casting directors and such. Not that I like seeing him in anime, I kinda really don't! But that would at least go some way in explaining the logic behind the decision

Todd is a weird situation though because I can't seem to notice any real change in his career trajectory. Even if he generally does a bit less anime that could easily be taken as a sign that he was just busy with other projects.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Seibaa wrote:
The thing about Chris Niosi in opposition to the others is that he apologised and far as I can tell generally seems to retain a decent relationship with other voice actors and casting directors and such. Not that I like seeing him in anime, I kinda really don't! But that would at least go some way in explaining the logic behind the decision

Todd is a weird situation though because I can't seem to notice any real change in his career trajectory. Even if he generally does a bit less anime that could easily be taken as a sign that he was just busy with other projects.

Yeah, I remember a lot of major VA's talking on twitter about giving Chris a second chance or at least accepting his apology and moving on because of how sincere it was and I think they'd personally talked with him about it.

And he was recast in pretty much every major ongoing role he had at this point, so he's kind of starting back up from zero (which is ironic since he was also recast in Re:Zero).
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:41 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

It seemed like compared to the others he at the very least was making more steps to improve or make amends, so I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a bit of give and take with new roles from some places, while other studios cut ties/replace him? Forgiveness isn’t really something anyone can give except those wronged and even then, they obviously don’t have to. That’s their decision and whether they choose to forgive or not is up to them, and they shouldn’t have to feel guilty if they don’t want to, despite him taking those steps to be a better person. I don’t know enough about that situation to know how to feel about it, but it seems like compared to the other two, he has a lot more public support from his peers, so I guess at a point it just comes down to whether I should take the word of those who actually know him? At the same time, voice acting is contract work, and no one owes anyone roles for even the slightest things (like just being unreliable or difficult to work with in the booth). So I guess time will tell, but I don’t really know what to think about it tbh.

At least with the other two, one of them thankfully burned enough bridges that we hopefully won’t hear from him again, and the other I was perfectly fine ignoring since (until recently I guess...) he only had tiny roles from one or two studios and some engineering work.

Hmm, you may be right. I mean, I have heard little controversy from him ever since but it was still fresh in the contractor's mind I think.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:48 pm Reply with quote
This argument here that You Know Who was cast out because he was unpopular and burnt bridges and not because of the actual allegations against him doesn't really strike me as a great argument in defense in the confidence of the dubbing industry if the dubbing industry and voice actors are willing to overlook allegations as long as they like the person and get along with them. That's kind of partly why we had a MeToo movement in other sectors of the entertainment industry because people in power were willing to overlook abuse if it was someone they liked or had a biased connection with.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Seibaa wrote:

but that's exactly the case: Todd is in less anime these days for the same reason other VAs do:he's getting more works in mainstream cartoons and games these days,which pay more.
macattack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
This argument here that You Know Who was cast out because he was unpopular and burnt bridges and not because of the actual allegations against him doesn't really strike me as a great argument in defense in the confidence of the dubbing industry if the dubbing industry and voice actors are willing to overlook allegations as long as they like the person and get along with them. That's kind of partly why we had a MeToo movement in other sectors of the entertainment industry because people in power were willing to overlook abuse if it was someone they liked or had a biased connection with.

The acting scene is full of cliques and has always involved some sort of popularity contest, even in voice acting. Chris Niosi is well-liked by his peers so he's given a second chance even though his (confirmed) behavior is arguably worse than Vic Mignogna's. Vic was immensely disliked by many in the industry, his peers could not wait to get rid of him and took the first chance they had to do so.

Both did bad, career-ending things, but Chris didn't anger those in power as much, so he's getting a second shot from some people. I don't particularly believe Chris deserves a second chance if Vic doesn't, but that's the acting scene for you. Cut favors here, network there...
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:57 pm Reply with quote
He also didn't try to sue a potential employer, so that greatly helped his chances at coming back
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2