• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Blazing Trails

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:25 pm Reply with quote
I don't think anyone is at all surprised about the Demon Slayer game being published outside of Japan. I'm a bit surprised that it will have an English version since there was a period where anime games didn't get dubbed unless they were DBZ or Naruto. Lately, though, that seems to have changed with even relatively low-key games, like Kill-la-Kill and One Punch Man, getting dubbed. And the second MHA game ended up getting dubbed via patch, so maybe publishers are realizing the interest is there.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Knights in the Nightmare is still in my (small) DS backlog ^^; I'll get around to it eventually...
b-dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:05 pm Reply with quote
The Department Heaven stuff I played seemed...almost great. I really enjoyed Gungnir (likely the most accessible one,) for a bit but it ended in such an unfulfilling way. The others, I couldn't even get that into. Knights in the Knightmare's mechanical weirdness was a bit much for me. I wish Sting did more of those games, with a more cohesive throughline between them.
OtherSideofSky

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I've bounced off all the Department Heaven games at least once. I gave Knights in the Nightmare the most chances and own both versions, but I just can't get into any of them. I really WANT to like them, but I can't say I actually do. I think a big part of it is the overwhelming number of weird missable things that basically necessitate playing with a guide unless you want to do an amount of trial and error that would be tedious even if the games had quick-save and quick-load. In Yggdra Union, it's incredibly easy to screw yourself over, miss characters and ending requirements, and end up with a main character so weak that she can't really even grind levels. With KitN, my main problem was all the wasted time destroying breakable objects to find the one or two with key items that unlock characters in them (and then finding a way to hit all the different breakables with your attack patterns becomes the main thing you have to focus on when you're choosing what units to fight with).

It feels like they're packed with a kind of design philosophy that works on the NES because its games are like a few hours long but becomes intolerable when applied to long SRPGs.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Kinda sucks that we'll have to wait until 2023 to get Trails into Reverie. I get it that they want to release Zero/Azure first because Reverie continues the storylines from those games but damn, the latest Trails game will have been out for like a year in Japan by the time we get the previous one.
JeffreySweeney

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:03 pm Reply with quote
That Demon Slayer game looks amazing. I will definitely be picking up the Xbox One version.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:56 pm Reply with quote
The Trails announcement was the most excitement I've ever felt over a video games localization announcement since... Trails in the Sky SC was announced, probably. I can't believe it's finally happening! Trails has officially made it as a franchise in the West!

(And, as the adage goes, I'm already getting greedy and hoping for a localization of the Trails in the Sky evolution ports. Ah, the human heart is never satisfied...)
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Knights in the Nightmare is in my DS & PSP backlog as well. Maybe some day (or maybe this version?)

Suxinn wrote:

(And, as the adage goes, I'm already getting greedy and hoping for a localization of the Trails in the Sky evolution ports. Ah, the human heart is never satisfied...)

Maybe they can just port those over to PS4 and then bring that version over Smile
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:48 am Reply with quote
Oh, I remember Knights in the Nightmare. Weirdest battle system I'd played. I don't think I got super far because it was a bit overwhelming. But I also found Yggdra Union kinda confusing too, I think? It's been a long time... I really liked the innovative style of the games but they're kinda... inaccessible.
(I played a little bit of Riviera too... I've played a few games in this series but I never got far in any of them. I should try again some time. I probably got furthest in KitN because I remember unlocking charas in that)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1