• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Daughter Left the Nest and Returned an S-Rank Adventurer (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 2:47 pm Reply with quote

My Daughter Left the Nest and Returned an S-Rank Adventurer (TV)

Source: Light Novel (completed @ 11 volumes, written by Mojikakiya, illustrated by toi8)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Typhoon Graphics

Genres: action, adventure, comedy, drama, fantasy

Themes: aristocracy, demi-humans, elves, medieval, sorcery

Plot Summary: The life of an adventurer isn't always a glamorous one. Belgrieve finds this out the hard way when a deadly encounter robs him of his leg and the ability to pursue his dreams not long after setting off for fame and fortune. But fate isn't finished with this retired adventurer.

While gathering herbs in the wilderness, he discovers an abandoned baby girl and names her Angeline after deciding to raise her as his own. Angeline grows up to become a top-tier adventurer in her own right, yet after venturing out into the world and making a name for herself, fame, fortune, and power hold no allure for the accomplished S-rank adventurer: her heartfelt wish is for nothing more than to see her father again.

Air Date & Platform:
September 28, 2023 (Thursday)
Available on: Pending

Episode Count / Runtime: 13 episodes
----------------------------------

Was thinking this might be ho-hum based on the summary. But looking at the key art, I'm really curious what those glowing eyes in the background are a part of. I might also watch it for the cast. Saori Hayami (Yor from Spy X Family) has a nice refined lady-like voice and plays the daughter. Junichi Suwabe (Archer from Fate/ franchise) can be pretty epic and plays the father.

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Fantasy setting: check.

Long title: check.

These days, those things add up to strike 2 for me, but... I dunno, there's something about the premise that kind of intrigues me. I would not be comfortable not at least sampling this.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I have seen the assurances that this does not end as a parent/child romance, and thus I'm willing to give it a shot.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Oh god, I will never forget enjoying Usagi Drop the anime and then going on to the manga.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

This is the first show I've sampled from the new season and I liked it... with one major caveat. If the show persists on making a running "gag" of the fact that Angeline wants to get back to visit her dad but something always prevents it from happening, I am not going to be a happy camper. I know that anime/manga sometimes finds the prospect of a character who REALLY, REALLY wants something but can never get it to be comedy GOLD, but I'm always stone-faced about it.

Beyond not liking the "gag" conceptually because I want Angeline to see her Dad again, I also dislike the Japanese attitude towards work where it is deemed the single most important thing in the world and all other aspects of life have to suffer because of it. That concept makes my skin crawl. Plus, I just don't like repetitive motifs anyway even if conceptually they don't make me want to hurl.

So... we'll see. I do like the background art... I love when shows with fantasy settings actually make the settings look purty. I like the characters so please, let's hope Angeline never getting home isn't the be all and end all of this show.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:45 pm Reply with quote
While I'm sure the view of "work" is informed by Japanese culture, I actually ended up likening it to something I've seen a few times in various life-saving/adjacent careers- nurses, social work, paramedics, etc. Occupations where budgets are fairly threadbare, need is great, and if you take a break others WILL have a hard time compensating for you being gone. But you have to take that time off, or you will mentally break under the strain. That scene in the inn where the guildmaster cajoles into staying for this new crisis? I've seen a real world version of it- a coworker cancelling her time off because we had several clients in crisis and another team member got sick. Thats one of the things that made me leave that particular field. So yeah, I found it revolting too- because I was reminded of things I left behind.

As for the recurring stalling of the reuniting...I'm ok with it for now. My criteria: if any narrative piece feels rushed, I'll immediately wonder why they didn't take the time out of this episode. And it cannot continue much longer. The narrative device served its purpose; I can empathize with the characters frustration. But its really easy for my frustration with the stalling to turn into frustration with the show's usage thereof. Thats a very thin line that I don't really want to cross with an otherwise likeable show.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:14 pm Reply with quote
@ b-dragon: you are right to make the analogy with occupations like nursing, etc, and in doing so you've given me a little bit more patience with the premise. After all, it's not like Angeline is some version of a fantasy setting salaryman trapped by societal expectations. Her vacation-stalling is driven purely by her compassion for others. So that buys me a little bit more time to endure the stalling... but not much more.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Solid start, I like the premise, though it looks like the father and daughter won't be meeting for a long time, maybe not even this whole season. It feels like both will go on an adventure and maybe meet at the end or at a certain point? I say that given the op, it does not look like pops gets to enjoy his peaceful life for very long. On one hand I get the reason why since the daugther is crucial in keeping things under control, but I agree that it can go from amusing to plain annoying at some point.

Also, the animation is decent, the art is rather lovely.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:21 pm Reply with quote
b-dragon wrote:
I have seen the assurances that this does not end as a parent/child romance, and thus I'm willing to give it a shot.

That was my concern too, which ought to sound ridiculous. But as soon as they revealed that the daughter wasn't the father's flesh and blood child, I started having flashbacks tospoiler[ "If It's For My Daughter etc."] Anyhow, I liked this alright. The father and daughter seem like good people. I wish the side characters in the daughter's party had been given a little more screen time and a little more personality since this looks like its going to be a two pronged story. As others have chimed in on, it's going to get old if 50% of the story is the daughter obsessing about getting home while her party members just keep going through the same sympathetic support character motions. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles worked because Steve Martin had John Candy to work off of IMHO.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:26 pm Reply with quote
So while Angeline is probably overstating her dad's abilities, it's not by too much. He just retired before he could really make a name for himself. Or that's my take. Unless he got stronger while living in Turnerra.

I liked this episode a bit more, if only because I liked its recurring "what is this Red Ogre business?" joke a bit more than "Angeline can't go home". It also helps that the title card for next episode seems to indicate that particular status quo being altered for the better.

Having said that, I'm not the biggest fan of the Countess Bourdeax. Her behavior struck as bit much to play off as comedy, Not saying it can't be comedic, but playing "threatening violence and/or abduction" as funny seems somewhat discordant to the comparatively tame humor presented before. Now, this can be made fine afterwards- if further developments reveal that she has a reason- like she's truly desperate, not just to hire skilled folks, but to protect self and siblings- then that could retroactively make the scene better for me.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it seems like the Red Ogre is real strong, maybe just as strong as his daughter is bragging about. Which makes for an interesting question, was he always so strong and thus attacked by something crazy powerful that made him lose a leg or did he become so strong after losing his leg? The former seems more likely.

I did like that pops got a bit more focus this week. We see that he is well respected in the village and that he has gotten to know some pleasant and less pleasant members of the Bourdeax family.

On the other side we had some lore dumps about the demon lords and their creator and judging by the ending it seems like at least one of those is making a comeback.

As for the question about when father and daughter will meet, I still think it will take a looooong time.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:26 pm Reply with quote
The thing is, I like the story better when the focus is on pops, so I liked the second episode better too. Not that I have anything against the daughter - loyal, knows right from wrong, competent - if they'd have her stop spinning her wheels in the same shtick, I'd be more than willing to give her a chance..
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

I thoroughly enjoyed this. Not having Angeline thwarted from seeing her father every five seconds really helped. And I actually like Ms. Thirsty... I chuckled every time she did the quick step thing up to the Red Ogre. This is shaping up to be a pretty solid show.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I like the characters so please, let's hope Angeline never getting home isn't the be all and end all of this show.

That was exactly my take over in the Preview Guide. Smile Also enjoyed the second ep for its focus on Belgrieve, who I find very calming. Ex-adventurer aside, he's a bit like my own father was, though Bel is more expressive. Smile

I'm pretty sure The Red Ogre is something Ange either heard once out of context and wove an entire narrative around it in her hero worship of her dad, or something she made up out of whole cloth for the same reason and convinced herself it was true. It's just that he (and the villagers too) seems to have never heard it before, rather than being surprised an old nickname has suddenly resurfaced, inexplicably known to disparate people.

I got a kick out of Lady Bordeaux starting out with, "Oh no, I would never abuse my authority in such a manner," and moving right to "Serve me or I'll kidnap you!" Also that quick scuttle over to him amused me as well.

I expect they'll all be going on the same quest in the next ep or two, if not together, then in parallel somehow. The more Belgrieve, the better though.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:30 pm Reply with quote
What a pleasant note to end the episode on.

I half-expected the old-timers to be some of Bel's acquaintances when he started adventuring. Maybe the party he was with when he had his incident. I'm kind of glad they weren't though- I feel like old, non wizard adventurers are in short supply in these sorts of shows, and establishing 2 badass old martial men is fun.

IIRC from episode 2, the "demon kings" of myth are essentially rogue, abandoned homunculi? If I remember that right, I like that origin. Mankind creating its own demons is generally fertile ground for stories, though I somewhat doubt the show will delve far into that kind of theme. Or maybe it could?

Absolutely stupid theory here, because as a monkey with a keyboard I entertain myself (and very rarely others,) with such inanities:spoiler[Angeline is also a homunculus. This is evidenced by whatever power she tapped into to cut through "Baal". But while Baal was abandoned and went kinda nutty, she was nurtured, trained, and beloved. Humanity engineers its own destruction, but its ability to form relationships can be its salvation.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5