• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sword Art Online Progressive Anime Film Posts English-Subtitled 3rd Teaser, Game World Charact

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:33 pm Reply with quote
So is it just for visual or did Asuna deliberately design her character to look exactly like herself before Kayaba forced all the player avatars to match their real faces? I was actually kind of curious what her avatar looked like before the shift. Granted, this is the same girl who used her real name as her player ID so it's possible she did just go to the trouble of making it look exactly like her.

I'm kind of curious how much they're going to change because it feels like Asuna's screentime with Mito is going to take away from the development of her relationship with Kirito that's supposed to be happening here.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:53 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I'm kind of curious how much they're going to change because it feels like Asuna's screentime with Mito is going to take away from the development of her relationship with Kirito that's supposed to be happening here.

This is also a concern of mine about the film, since Asuna has always been my favorite character. But the adaptation team has generally done a solid job adapting the novels, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
God of Jurai

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:17 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
MFrontier wrote:

This is also a concern of mine about the film, since Asuna has always been my favorite character. But the adaptation team has generally done a solid job adapting the novels, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

In the actual Light Novel, Asuna made her character look like her real life self... she was not a gamer before this game, and she made her character look like her actual self to escape her family drama in the real world.
Touma55

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:53 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
MFrontier wrote:

Saying that they have done a solid job in the past is pretty generous... I mean A1 dropping the ball on multiple occasions is pretty widely agreed upon by light novel readers.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:23 am Reply with quote
Touma55 wrote:
Key wrote:
MFrontier wrote:

Saying that they have done a solid job in the past is pretty generous... I mean A1 dropping the ball on multiple occasions is pretty widely agreed upon by light novel readers.

A1 cut a lot of stuff out.
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:57 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
MFrontier wrote:

Agreed.
Erufailon4

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:46 am Reply with quote
From the trailer it seems that spoiler[Mito participates in the floor 1 boss battle. I'm surprised if this is the case, because I was expecting Mito to only appear in new anime-original scenes before Asuna and Kirito first meet at the beginning of the LN...] But it could be just footage put in the trailer to mislead us. After all, it would be a significant (game-changing even, heh) difference from the source material and surely A-1 wouldn't do that.

... they wouldn't, right?
Touma55

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:15 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Touma55 wrote:
Key wrote:
MFrontier wrote:

Exactly why me and many MANY other light novel readers are concerned about the movie. I had a bit of hope since they are technically not doing SAO, but SAO Progressive but this new character has a lot of people including myself worried about how this will turn out. Hopefully they can cover everything important this time even with the new content.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:25 am Reply with quote
God of Jurai wrote:
In the actual Light Novel, Asuna made her character look like her real life self... she was not a gamer before this game, and she made her character look like her actual self to escape her family drama in the real world.

Okay, that makes sense. That's a very Asuna thing to do.
TsukasaElkKite wrote:

I remember the Alicization anime being kind of infamous for cutting out a lot of Asuna moments (and KiritoxAsuna moments).

Which I guess makes it...kind of karmic that they're taking a page from the manga and making her the central character of the movie? Which I'm more than happy with so long as they handle it well.
Erufailon4 wrote:
From the trailer it seems that spoiler[Mito participates in the floor 1 boss battle. I'm surprised if this is the case, because I was expecting Mito to only appear in new anime-original scenes before Asuna and Kirito first meet at the beginning of the LN...] But it could be just footage put in the trailer to mislead us. After all, it would be a significant (game-changing even, heh) difference from the source material and surely A-1 wouldn't do that.

... they wouldn't, right?

spoiler[I'm expecting she probably dies against the floor 1 boss battle alongside Diabel to give Asuna more angst.

I think she's also supposed to be a Beta Tester so I wonder if they'll construct it to where she's part of why Kirito becomes a "Beater" to protect the rest of the Beta Testers. Even though Argo should be in the movie...]
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:01 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Touma55 wrote:

I've always argued against these complaints. Any LN adaptation is going to cut out some stuff (sometimes for practical reasons involved with the adaptation, other times to correct inefficiencies in the original writing), and SAO's adaptations have cut out less than most. I never read the source books for Fairy Dance and GGO, but the Aincard, Calibur, and Mother's Rosary arcs were all quite faithful to the novels, and Alicization didn't skip much; yes, there was one entire chapter early in the Alicization arc which got eliminated, but that was the only major omission that I can think of, and that ultimately didn't significantly impact the story.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Touma55

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Touma55 wrote:

I've always argued against these complaints. Any LN adaptation is going to cut out some stuff (sometimes for practical reasons involved with the adaptation, other times to correct inefficiencies in the original writing), and SAO's adaptations have cut out less than most. I never read the source books for Fairy Dance and GGO, but the Aincard, Calibur, and Mother's Rosary arcs were all quite faithful to the novels, and Alicization didn't skip much; yes, there was one entire chapter early in the Alicization arc which got eliminated, but that was the only major omission that I can think of, and that ultimately didn't significantly impact the story.

The cuts done to SAO usually impact the world building and characters more than the story. The problem is when they do that a lot of things in the story can come off as illogical as well which is a VERY common complaint with the anime and is nearly non existent in the light novels. You have no idea how many people like SAO a lot more after to told them to read the novels. Even when I just explained some of the parts that were cut or changed like spoiler[ Eugeo's relationship with his family, which is pretty damn important for his character] or spoiler[ PoH's backstory where the changes done by A1 actually create a plothole] their opinion on things improved.

The story not being significantly impacted by the changes and cuts doesn't mean A1 did a good job. There is more to a series than just its story and A1 often handles those other things poorly when there is often no good reason to do so. A silent and slow panning shot of Sinon's body while sniping instead of showing all the things going through her head at the time is NOT a good change. I also question how you can say Alicization doesn't cut much when it cuts stuff fairly often. Does it cut out huge sections of the story? No it doesn't, but constantly cutting world building and character thoughts make both come off as lacking and can also make a lot of the actions the characters take seem like they make little to no sense.
YesNoMaybe
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Isn't the movie going back to the beginning of SAO? So wasn't she in High school? The looks like a young lady in her early twenties.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:30 pm Reply with quote
YesNoMaybe wrote:
Isn't the movie going back to the beginning of SAO? So wasn't she in High school? The looks like a young lady in her early twenties.

I think she's actually in her last year of middle school and just about to start high school if I remember right. She was 15 when she got into Aincraid.

I think she looks about the right age, more or less. The VA's have actually talked about having to play the younger versions of their characters now after so much time spent with the later versions.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Touma55 wrote:
Does it cut out huge sections of the story? No it doesn't, but constantly cutting world building and character thoughts make both come off as lacking and can also make a lot of the actions the characters take seem like they make little to no sense.

Character thoughts always get trimmed in adaptations because usually there's not a good way to work voluminous ones into the adaptation without bogging things down. (So I'm a Spider, So What? was a rare exception on this, but a lot of the time the protagonist is talking to herself and/or self-narrating anyway.) The same can be said for world-building details. Name me an LN adaptation that doesn't trim on that; hell, even truly outstanding adaptations like 86 do that.

My point isn't that SAO's adaptations don't do these things, because they do; it's that they don't do these any worse than normal for an LN adaptation. A1 shouldn't be singled out as much as they are for their adaptation effort. It definitely wasn't flawless, but just as definitely it wasn't deeply-flawed, either.
Touma55

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Touma55 wrote:
Does it cut out huge sections of the story? No it doesn't, but constantly cutting world building and character thoughts make both come off as lacking and can also make a lot of the actions the characters take seem like they make little to no sense.

Character thoughts always get trimmed in adaptations because usually there's not a good way to work voluminous ones into the adaptation without bogging things down. (So I'm a Spider, So What? was a rare exception on this, but a lot of the time the protagonist is talking to herself and/or self-narrating anyway.) The same can be said for world-building details. Name me an LN adaptation that doesn't trim on that; hell, even truly outstanding adaptations like 86 do that.

My point isn't that SAO's adaptations don't do these things, because they do; it's that they don't do these any worse than normal for an LN adaptation. A1 shouldn't be singled out as much as they are for their adaptation effort. It definitely wasn't flawless, but just as definitely it wasn't deeply-flawed, either.

Obviously cuts need to be made, but cutting important things should not be done which they do. There are also small cuts made that can make a big difference as well, so not everything is a massive speech that can't be fit in like you are referring to. Replacing things with worthless content like I mentioned should also not be done. The Sinon example I gave is honestly perfect because cutting it saved no time at all, but they did it and replaced it with fanservice. I also don't intend to single out A1 at all because LN adaptions being poorly handled is a common thing, but I am absolutely going to say A1 did a poor job when they don't handle things well. They don't get forgiven for doing a poor job just because other studios do a poor job with some of their stuff as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2