• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll Market Research: Only 6% of Gen Z Don't Know What Anime Is

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:04 pm Reply with quote
"saying that she helps determine what titles Crunchyroll should license, as well as figuring out how the company can produce and own its own original IPs"

This is coming from the person who can't even give a coherent definition on what a Crunchyroll original is and whose lineup of Crunchyroll originals were a disaster.
Madster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
She also described her role at the company, saying that she helps determine what titles Crunchyroll should license, as well as figuring out how the company can produce and own its own original IPs.

Looks at EX-ARM, the poor handling of High Guardian Spice, the shuttering of Crunchyroll Studios Tokyo

I can only hope Crunchyroll takes a hard look at their originals lineup and improves on what they offer. I'm not expecting triple AAA anime with mind blowing animation but I want to see something that's worth my time. For a company that specializes in anime to produce originals that are "Alright" at best and "CGI dumpster fire" at worst, it makes me wonder what's going on behind the scenes. They have produced good anime such as ODDTAXI and Kemono Friends, so why is it hard for them to make originals?

I'm all for Crunchyroll to step into other business ventures, but the reputation of the Originals brand has slowly diminished over time and now I'm skeptical of their other ventures. Fena: Pirate Princess looks to be one of their better Originals, but I think that's because Adult Swim is attached to it. (Apologies if I'm oversimplifying things in my rant, I'm 100% okay with learning more about this)
JeffreySweeney

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Gen Z? As in the Z Fighters? What's the context of the article photo anyways? Random person taking a selfie? What does that have to do with this?
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:07 pm Reply with quote
JeffreySweeney wrote:
Gen Z? As in the Z Fighters? What's the context of the article photo anyways? Random person taking a selfie? What does that have to do with this?

Gen Z is literally the name of the generation after Millenials. born in 1995-2010
HueyLion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:36 pm Reply with quote
6%? That's low but I find it massively hard to believe that 6% have never seen Pokemon, Digimon, Yu-gi-oh or even Dragon Ball...

All of which are anime no matter what people are made to believe.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I really wish they explained they determined if people knew what anime was? Did they simply ask, "Do you know what anime is?" or did the ask people to tell them what anime was and accept any answer that was at least part right as showing that someone was familiar with anime?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:54 pm Reply with quote
HueyLion wrote:
6%? That's low but I find it massively hard to believe that 6% have never seen Pokemon, Digimon, Yu-gi-oh or even Dragon Ball...

I first watched an Anime in 1999, I learned about Japanese animation(Anime) in the latter part of the 00s.You can know about these shows in a bubble. There's no reason that when you saw a show called Yu-Gi-Oh that came right after Fairy Odd Parents, you would put any great importance in the differences between the two.
chronium

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:36 pm Reply with quote
HueyLion wrote:

You misunderstand they are saying 94% know what anime is and 6% don't

Tempest wrote:
I really wish they explained they determined if people knew what anime was? Did they simply ask, "Do you know what anime is?" or did the ask people to tell them what anime was and accept any answer that was at least part right as showing that someone was familiar with anime?

Most survey's don't ask for detailed descriptions so they probably just went with "Do you know what anime is?" and followed up with some other questions.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious to know how they came to the conclusion that only 6% of Gen Z doesn't know what anime is. Where was the survey conducted? How many people were interviewed?

Location can affect the numbers. If a survey was conducted in NYC, chances are higher that more Gen Z would know what anime is.
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, it'd be hard not to know what anime is in this day and age. I see ads for Crunchyroll on local stations, during sports games, Comedy Central, etc. Netflix and HBO Max mix anime in with regular recommendations for all their users. The Books-a-Million at my closest shopping outlet, last time I went, had a big sign advertising the fact that they have manga, copies of Berserk by the check-out desk, and the manga section at the front of the store.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Theodore Relic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious if they identified any other group (Boomers, Gen X, Millennials, etc.)

And for the record, while I assume many in my age group (I was born in 1962) don't know what "anime" is, a large number of us understand what "Japanese cartoons" are, having watched Astroboy, Gigantor, Marine Boy, Speed Racer, etc. in the 60s.

And I'll stick with "anime" in my case Smile
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
I'm curious to know how they came to the conclusion that only 6% of Gen Z doesn't know what anime is. Where was the survey conducted? How many people were interviewed?

Location can affect the numbers. If a survey was conducted in NYC, chances are higher that more Gen Z would know what anime is.

While I dont doubt most Zoomers know what anime is given it's massive popularity and the sales numbers we have, I generally take any kind of survey or poll with a grain of salt given how easy it is to fudge the numbers or misconstrue the information to favor one outcome or another.
omegafinal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:27 am Reply with quote
Hmm, while 6% of Gen Z don't know what anime is, 94% does. Makes me wonder how many of Millennials before, and maybe Alphas after in comparison. Now also thinking, the Newbury Comics, the shortlived Thinkgeek stores, FYE, even Gamestop. Places where you can get anime merch so readily now (granted, stuff in my area are either what's popular right now and Shonen Jump stuff, no lesser known stuff), would be interesting to see the trends and whatnots, especially on how much of each generation knows and/or how they know.
Kirki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The A-JAPAN event highlighted six IPs from entertainment company Amuse Group for overseas vendors. The company hopes to sell the rights for adaptation and/or remakes. The showcased titles include the following manga series: Kengo Hanazawa's I am a Hero, Ryō Yasohachi's Immortal Hounds, and Kaoru Tada's Itazura na Kiss.

Who. Who in their right mind thought these titles would be a good idea.

I haven't read Immortal Hounds, but I am a Hero and Itazura na Kiss are most probably the PEAK two worst titles to choose for adaptations and remakes. I am serious, it would take a lot of searching to find something worse. I am a Hero is a classic infuriating case of a series starting great (at the start it's very similar to The Walking Dead) and then revealing itself to what it actually was about: *heavy spoiler do NOT open if you haven't read the series!!! spoiler[How a loser, "beta" male in his late thirties got to bone a high school girl.] Seriously. THAT was the series' narrative highlight.Though I have no doubt that this would appeal to some people, I doubt it would sit well with most. (especially with how it's all built up to happen and heading towards that end point). And Itazura na Kiss is probably the shoujo series that has aged the worst out of the entire shoujo genre. The guy is unbelievably toxic and disrespectful and the girl doesn't have a shred of dignity or self-respect in her entire body.

Pick better.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:51 am Reply with quote
Kirki wrote:
Who. Who in their right mind thought these titles would be a good idea.

I haven't read Immortal Hounds, but I am a Hero and Itazura na Kiss are most probably the PEAK two worst titles to choose for adaptations and remakes. I am serious, it would take a lot of searching to find something worse. I am a Hero is a classic infuriating case of a series starting great (at the start it's very similar to The Walking Dead) and then revealing itself to what it actually was about: *heavy spoiler do NOT open if you haven't read the series!!! spoiler[How a loser, "beta" male in his late thirties got to bone a high school girl.] Seriously. THAT was the series' narrative highlight.Though I have no doubt that this would appeal to some people, I doubt it would sit well with most. (especially with how it's all built up to happen and heading towards that end point). And Itazura na Kiss is probably the shoujo series that has aged the worst out of the entire shoujo genre. The guy is unbelievably toxic and disrespectful and the girl doesn't have a shred of dignity or self-respect in her entire body.

Pick better.

I've only read I am a Hero but I think an adaption would be great. It's popular and would work well given zombies still seem to be a thing in America, and even the live-action movie was licensed and released here. It's a critically acclaimed and award winning series, after all. I assume the others are chosen for similar reasons. You may not like it but I think you underestimate what the average anime fan is into.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2