• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sony Music Entertainment Opens Virtual YouTuber Auditions

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Niyari

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:22 am Reply with quote
Very interesting. Being so open with policies (among other things...) seem like a direct shot at certain virtual agencies. Sony also tends to set a certain bar for anything tied to their name, so this should be promising. The fact that the website has proper EN and CN pages versions as well says a lot about how serious they are
Lo Wang

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:58 am Reply with quote
Sony had Kaguya Luna signed on to Sacra Music and since she still mainly posts on her alt-account. That team up can be considered a flop.
They should bring her to forefront of this project. As their going to need some serious starpower to catch up with the combined juggernauts of Kizuna Ai, Hololive, with Vshojo and Ninjisanji rounding out the top 4. Sony Music Entertainment has enough cash on hand to outright buy Kizuna Ai.inc from Active8.(upd8 is now dissolved)
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:43 am Reply with quote
I'm curious how they intend to handle roll out if they are looking for 50+ people right out the gate. It took a few years for Hololive to build to that many members, and in about the same amount of time Nijisanji has many more members than that. I would guess that they don't want to go too slow and always be playing catch up to the other groups, but I could see it backfiring where debuting too many at once means they end up getting lost amongst each other and individuals have trouble growing an audience. Despite Hololive not having a third as many members as Nijisanji, it has more total subscribers on Youtube, so there may be something to be said for a slow-and-steady approach.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:51 am Reply with quote
Aren't most Vtuber auditions 18+ now? I know very early Hololive wasn't, but every organization today that I know of, you have to be 18 to join. What I do like is the freedom to use their avatar after graduation, something you can't get anywhere else. Also, Sony shouldn't go the Nijisanji path for generations, it leads to talent having very little traction, it's better to have 3-5 talents to start, let them grow to say 1-2 million subs, then introduce a second gen/wave afterwards.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:04 am Reply with quote
Being able to keep your character in case the company decides to part ways with you sounds nice in theory, but unless Sony itself was the only one that they angered, that just seems like just leaving them to deal with the people that they (or even others) pissed off, which would in most cases probably lead the person to retire the character anyways.

Requiring that their talents live in Japan seems like it would really limit the pool of applicants aimed at markets outside Japan, but it is probably necessary if they will need to be active in voice acting. Though on the voice acting requirement, unless it is for something like a short or smaller roles or cameos, they may be underestimating the time commitment being a streamer is, though certainly some streamers themselves have made that mistake. Then again, they do learn that fairly quickly and adjust accordingly.

The scale does seem to be large enough to compete with the big agencies, and those agencies will need to keep an eye on that, but we’ll have to see the characters they create to know if they will be a serious threat to the leaders in the medium or not.
Lo Wang

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Despite Hololive not having a third as many members as Nijisanji, it has more total subscribers on Youtube, so there may be something to be said for a slow-and-steady approach.

Hololive gained their popularity solely due to internet memes during their early days before their english branch started. Mostly from Sakura Miko and english speakers such as Akai Haato along with the now retired Kiryu Coco.
So unless they can find meme worthy talents. Sony has a long road ahead of them and a high chance of failing if they rely on just Japanese applicants.

Last edited by Lo Wang on Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
jenthehen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Someone wants in on that Hololive craze lol
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Cue Universal Music, Warner Music, King Records, etc etc joining the fray.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:58 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Requiring that their talents live in Japan seems like it would really limit the pool of applicants aimed at markets outside Japan, but it is probably necessary if they will need to be active in voice acting.
There's also usually some type of small print administrative reason that they choose to limit the pool of applicants to Japanese residents (although many foreigners do count as residents). Even if the benefit of those "administrative reasons" seems small compared to possible benefits of expanding to foreign talent, they will usually opt for the former benefit. Chock it up also to the general level of laziness when it comes to language and cultural barriers. As an example of "administrative" benefit; when Studio Ghibli crowdfunded to keep their museum open, one reason they limited it to domestic donors is because of the additional tax breaks from donations (they would probably have to have foreign donations sent to a separate account to avoid losing those tax breaks, or opt for more of an accounting nightmare).
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:09 am Reply with quote
I wonder if they'll use Upd8's model with hiring established Indies with their characters or the usual making one from scratch. The former made more sense with the "they can own their characters" clause, and making debuting '50 talents" claim a bit more believable. Starting from scratch with that claim sounds pretty crazy especially without having any established name. No, for Kaguya Luna to be count she needs to be active as Kaguya Luna first, at this point she's at glorified retirement stage, no longer relevant.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:13 am Reply with quote
The career of Vtuber is so short for Sony
PandaXs1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Also, Sony shouldn't go the Nijisanji path for generations, it leads to talent having very little traction, it's better to have 3-5 talents to start, let them grow to say 1-2 million subs, then introduce a second gen/wave afterwards.

the hell are you talking about? Nijisanji JP debuted 5 new members last week and all but one got to 100k subs the next day.

the idea that a vtuber is only successful after reaching 1 million subs is garbage. people only believe this because of Hololive's sudden explosion in popularity last year. most vtubers in Nijisanji, and other indies as well, are doing just fine even though they're nowhere near a million.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1