• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: AFP: Mamoru Hosoda Criticizes Depiction of Women in Hayao Miyazaki Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MesousaGaby

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:53 am Reply with quote
Says that guy who, in Summer Wars, he wrote Natsuki as nothing more than a love interest and gave zero character develoment on...
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:59 am Reply with quote
And this coming from the person who practically deified the mother in Wolf Children. . .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Who has the Oscar, again? And who has the nomination?
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I mean it's not like there isn't a reasonable discussion to be had around why Miyazaki constantly uses young females as his leads (I've always particularly liked Helen McCarthy's thesus that, rather than being especially supportive of female empowerment, he uses child characters because they're able to get their rambunctious, rebellious feelings out at a young age, before settling into stable housewives), but Hosoda is possibly the last person I'd accept criticism from, given his entire m.o. outside of his furry appreciation is the veneration and idolisation of family units, either in his characters (Summer Wars, Wolf Children), or the themes of his films (The Boy & the Beast, Mirai).

Maybe Belle addresses some of these shortcomings, but if not then perhaps he should examine his own body of work with the same critical eye.

Last edited by fathomlessblue on Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And this coming from the person who practically deified the mother in Wolf Children. . .

But Hana's parenting is very clearly flawed. She struggles, she learns, she makes mistakes even up to the end of the movie. Hosoda takes a very understanding and celebratory look at motherhood, but it's hardly him treating it as untouchable and sacred.

Last edited by JoelBurger on Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Hosoda is out of his mind...
Quote:
To be frank, I think he does it because he does not have confidence in himself as a man

Wth, dude??
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:28 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Who has the Oscar, again? And who has the nomination?

Kinda irrelevant really.

And he has a point really. Women and young girls need to be portrayed for the humans that they are, flawed, with ambitions and desires of their own, selfish sometimes even.

After all, deification is just another form of dehumanization, even if unintentional. It's clear to me that Miyazaki that has the best intentions with his portrayal of girls.
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:33 pm Reply with quote
banger tweet, king, give us another one
Soul_Punisher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Seriously Hosoda?

Last edited by Soul_Punisher on Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:13 pm; edited 4 times in total
7jaws7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Hosoda vs. Miyazaki is the last thing we need; I respect them both as artists.
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:57 pm Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
Hosoda vs. Miyazaki is the last thing we need; I respect them both as artists.

I can respect Hosoda as an artist, but not for the huge bull... he said...
Soul_Punisher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Hana in wolf children was just a Self-Insert mother character with little to No personality except for just wanting to get knocked up beastiality style.

She has no real aspirations or background on why we should be interested in her as a character especially on her just being some Random, ordinary, bored college girl furthermore that film is FAR From realistic in depicting Actual struggles to anything motherhood related

It feels more like how to raise 2 puppies when the REAL Owner isn't around more than anything else..

You wanna see a good mother character look at Sachiko in Erased not my favorite anime by any stretch but that anime actually did a motherly character Spot On.
Alestal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Well, this seems like an obvious attention grab to boost ticket sales and garner attention.

I don't think it's fair to say that Miyazaki portrays women as saints. Spirited Away is widely considered his best work and the story truly centers around the personal growth of a young female (from spoiled/whiny to mature/confident). Another movie to consider is Princess Mononoke, which does not feature a young girl, and instead has an incredibly flawed female protagonist.

He needs to cite relevant points instead of making blanket statements about another creator.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:23 pm Reply with quote
So, basically it sounds like Hosoda is saying Miyazaki isn't man enough to portray female characters as flawed or bad characters and writes all his heroines to be perfect, sacred, innocent Mary Sues? I mean, I haven't seen all of Miyazaki's films admittedly, but San seemed a bit different from that archetype, at least, so Princess Mononoke is an exception to that statement.
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Hosoda is salty because he was fired from Studio Ghibli a lot of time ago...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5