• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Night Beyond the Tricornered Window (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:16 pm Reply with quote

(The) Night Beyond the Tricornered Window (TV)

Genres: mystery, supernatural
Themes:

Plot Summary: The story follows a book store owner who sees supernatural happenings through a triangle window. He begins working together with an exorcist to solve mysteries.

Oct. 3, 2021 (Sundays; Crunchyroll)
----------------------------------

Am always up for supernatural mysteries and occult stuff. Not familiar with the production staff, but there are some good seiyuu in the cast.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I hated this one. The two leads' dynamics was very problematic to me, and I just can't gel with that. They also do feel like they are absolutely rushing through the plot to get to the cheese and I hate anime that do that.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:48 pm Reply with quote
This is a weird one for sure, but it's got me intrigued. While watching episode 3, it occurred to me that the character designs look like they were done by the same person that did Parasyte, but to my surprise, the only staff the two series have in common is that Mikado and Shinichi have the same seiyuu. But Erika so reminds me of Shinichi's girlfriend Satomi, just without the chipmunk cheeks.

But I agree they need to slow down, or something. I had no idea of what was going on in Episode 3 when they went to the high school friend's house. The girlfriend seemed to want nothing to do with her mother, but then turned on a dime to be hysterical about not being watched by her, and the boyfriend seemed to be well aware of the curse, but pissed off that they got rid of it? None of it made sense. And did Hiyakawa swallow that bell? oO

But I'm all in on this one, just to see what's going on.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm giving the 4th episode a shot and I'm just not gelling with this at all. I am not enthralled with the mystery and the leads are not interesting. The blonde one is just creepy as hell. I want there to be something to hook me back, but it's not happening.

I really wish I could vibe the same way as the reviewer is and I feel bad that I"m not :/
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:41 pm Reply with quote
camseyeview140 wrote:

I really wish I could vibe the same way as the reviewer is and I feel bad that I"m not :/

Honestly? It's probably because I've read the manga. But that said, the blond one gets his backstory this week, and it really does help to understand why he is the way he is. (Not excuse it, mind you, but explain it.)
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:31 am Reply with quote
I was really hoping for something gayer, seems to be not exactly going that way. Putting that desire aside, the show itself is...weird. I feel like I'm not understanding some of the mechanics of what's going on in the supernatural, and even with the backstory, I still can't get a good feel for the blond character. I'll keep watching though.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

In terms of major plot, Mikado is more sure of himself and probably not get pushed around, while Hiyakawa maybe less toxic. He has still read to me as likely sociopathic, in terms that he doesn't understand things like the emotions of others well, but in terms of people just born that way, it isn't like someone being a sociopath just naturally makes them a bad guy. I don't think that it would be very controversial to say that this series is at least thematically very BL like, even if it wasn't quite as up front about going all the way, which also gets a bit sus on the making one half of the relationship so toxic. At least I would say the series didn't try to avoid saying the way he was acting was not cool.

The series had some okay parts, but not really much that was super great and attention grabbing. I can't quite call it out for being really fun or really making me curious over the mysteries. At the very least I imagine those with a low tolerance for BL stuff probably not at all like it, while those looking for something like an actual relationship might also be disappointed. Not quite enough for me to decide to mention them in the thread for non-straight characters. My rating is going to be So-so (5/10,) which it kind of stayed at most of the time, but it did have some parts where it pushed itself up a bit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1