• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gungrave G.O.R.E Game's Trailer Reveals New 2022 Release Date

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RockSplash

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Man, with GunGrave, Trigun, and BBB, I seriously think Nightow has an unhealthy obsession with coffins.
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:41 am Reply with quote
Rocksplash, I cannot wait to play A New Gungrave. Non stop run n gun fun, the first 2 games were. The character is named Beyond The Grave. The Coffins are an appropriate way to carry his deck gun sized rifles.
Aresef

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:31 am Reply with quote
I’m just going to throw this out there. Too many people slept on the Gungrave anime from way back. If you haven’t seen it and you think it’s going to be just like the games, look it up and you’ll find an amazing mob drama.
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:31 am Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
I’m just going to throw this out there. Too many people slept on the Gungrave anime from way back. If you haven’t seen it and you think it’s going to be just like the games, look it up and you’ll find an amazing mob drama.

Yes, it's a bit tropey but really well-done and poignant, especially the first half. Unfortunately it takes a noticeable dip when the writers have to include game elements and fights (some of the bosses are extremely silly and jarring), but damn, that ending is a-ma-zing. Makes me tear up every time.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:34 am Reply with quote
Didn't expect to see Gungrave make a comeback.

I think they brought back Grave's anime VA's for the VR game, so I wonder if they'll do the same here.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:13 am Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
Here's some advice to those who want to watch the Gungrave anime: Skip the 1st episode and watch episodes 2-16. Hands down, some of the BEST writing I've ever seen in an anime was within those range of episodes.

Episode 1 and episodes 17-26 were there to pander to fans of the game. However, the ending to the anime was changed from the game and quite honestly, for the better. Yes, it killed any chances for a Gungrave: Overdose anime but I truly think it was worth it as the ending for the anime is still one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen and a true tear jerker.
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:52 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Aresef wrote:
Here's some advice to those who want to watch the Gungrave anime: Skip the 1st episode and watch episodes 2-16.

I don't agree with skipping the first episode. Yes, it's not representative of the next arc, and for the most part it's fairly low-brow shoot'em-up. But IMO a huge part of episodes 2-16 is the knowledge of where it all ends up, seeing how things develop in certain directions, it adds a layer of tragedy to it all.

Also, while I agree that the second half of the show is weaker (ending aside) and it would've been better off if it hadn't tried to faithfully incorporate game elements, it still has some really good things going on, re: certain characters' personal journeys. Without all that the ending packs less of a punch.

That ending, though. Oh man.
LightningCount

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:50 pm Reply with quote
The Gungrave anime is basically a more fleshed-out version of the backstory noted in the games. That, I love about the anime. But the anime almost completely dropped the ball on the "Revenge Arc" that the first game covers. HUGE missed opportunity.

Gungrave has a very unique, dynamic action-packed scifi-horror world that the anime failed to capture. There was supposed to be Cowboy Bebop-style action in there that the anime never caught up to. Almost all the set-piece moments with the train and airship and such from the game were all lost. The anime had a lot less interesting "tech" than the game, too. I guess a comparison of content would be that the anime was like FullMetal Alchemist, and the game was more like FullMetal Alchemist Brotherhood. There are tradeoffs, when I would have liked the best of both worlds.

If they had animated half of what's in this game trailer in the second half of the anime, it would have been one of the best anime ever with an amazing combo of emotion, art direction, and action. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qXqpDfd_uI) As it is, the anime's strength was its emotion, which the game already had, it just dialed it up.

I haven't played Gungrave VR, but I've been interested in returning to Gungrave. The games are a lot of fun. The second game, O.D., added a lot more strategy, too. They were one of the pioneers of cel-shaded games also. I get the feeling G.O.R.E. is trying to move the franchise beyond the anime/manga crowd with its more realistic style. I'm not sold on the new look yet, but I think it'll be all right.
tintor2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:50 pm Reply with quote
LightningCount wrote:
The Gungrave anime is basically a more fleshed-out version of the backstory noted in the games. That, I love about the anime. But the anime almost completely dropped the ball on the "Revenge Arc" that the first game covers. HUGE missed opportunity.

Gungrave has a very unique, dynamic action-packed scifi-horror world that the anime failed to capture. There was supposed to be Cowboy Bebop-style action in there that the anime never caught up to. Almost all the set-piece moments with the train and airship and such from the game were all lost. The anime had a lot less interesting "tech" than the game, too. I guess a comparison of content would be that the anime was like FullMetal Alchemist, and the game was more like FullMetal Alchemist Brotherhood. There are tradeoffs, when I would have liked the best of both worlds.

If they had animated half of what's in this game trailer in the second half of the anime, it would have been one of the best anime ever with an amazing combo of emotion, art direction, and action. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qXqpDfd_uI) As it is, the anime's strength was its emotion, which the game already had, it just dialed it up.

I haven't played Gungrave VR, but I've been interested in returning to Gungrave. The games are a lot of fun. The second game, O.D., added a lot more strategy, too. They were one of the pioneers of cel-shaded games also. I get the feeling G.O.R.E. is trying to move the franchise beyond the anime/manga crowd with its more realistic style. I'm not sold on the new look yet, but I think it'll be all right.

Considering Yosuke Kuroda wrote the anime, it makes sense, but wasn't it that Brandon/Grave was completetly silent in the games?
LightningCount

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:36 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Considering Yosuke Kuroda wrote the anime, it makes sense, but wasn't it that Brandon/Grave was completetly silent in the games?

Brandon did not talk in the game, no. But he wasn't the most loquacious guy in the anime, either. What the game generally did was speak for him through those he met. Many of the enemies and supporting characters knew him before he was Grave, and they gave the gamer a picture of who he was and is through their reactions to him, whether that be love, sympathy, or hate. You get a very good glimpse into Brandon/Grave's thoughts in this flashback, too, which had a significant impact on the premise of the anime:
https://youtu.be/1B3mrMwAY4U?t=1674 The game still had that tragic drama vibe, even amidst the over-the-top action and more science-fiction set pieces.

Considering Yosuke Kuroda wrote on Gundam 00, I think there could have been more action and care toward the source material. The anime felt like a prequel with an anime-only ending, versus a truly expanded adaptation of the franchise. Someone put together all the cut scenes from the first game, which is largely what the anime is related to (despite a few O.D. nods like Sherry Walken's origins). https://youtu.be/1B3mrMwAY4U?t=45

Seeing the story unfold in this really iconic Nightow world was something to look forward to when playing the game when it came out, which is why the anime disappointed me overall, despite having its own merits. It just left out too much of the back end with "Beyond the Grave" and focused too much on Brandon before he was Grave. The city's transformation under the Syndicate isn't really exploited visually like it is in the game.

I would love to see an anime reboot that follows the the first two games and shows what Grave can really do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1