• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Whisper of the Heart Retrospective: The Real Story Behind the Lo-Fi Hip Hop Study Girl

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:59 am Reply with quote
I consider this and Porco to be at the top of my favorites list
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:52 am Reply with quote
THIS. All of this is why I consider Whisper of the Heart to be my favorite Ghibli movie ever.
Kiskaloo
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I saw this movie in the theater during one of the Ghibli Retrospectives in the late 1990s and having lived in the Tokyo suburbs a handful of years before this film had been released, the nostalgia hit me so hard. It is definitely in my Ghibli Top Five.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I still haven't seen Whisper of the Heart, but thanks for this. Good read.
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Well this pushes Whisper of the Heart up a number of spots on my ever growing to-watch list.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:15 am Reply with quote
Really pleased to see this film get some promotion here, it's always been one of my favourites. The scene where Shizuku and Seiji start their version of Country Roads to be joined by the old folks as they sneak into the basement is an absolute delight!

A great shame we never got to see what Kondo may have achieved, but this is a good legacy.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:05 am Reply with quote
I always like to mention that there is a little bit of "magic" that the English dub ruins.

In the English dub, early on, Seiji tells Shizuku about Louise, The Baron's companion. Seiji's Japanese dialogue instead specifically says that Nishi won't tell anyone about the Baron's origins. So, Shizuku including Louise in her story is an unexplained oddity. Is it magical intuition or inspiration? Serendipity? Maybe Nishi is actually fibbing a little? We don't know, and we're not supposed to know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:07 am Reply with quote
Whisper of the Heart is one of my favorite anime movie of all time. I especially love John Denver's song and how everyone gets involved playing it. It so touches my heart every time I watch that scene
Picky33

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I thought based on the title it "Whisper of the Heart Retrospective: The Real Story Behind the Lo-Fi Hip Hop Study Girl" it might have actually said something about the "Real Story" of the Lo-Fi Hip Hop girl but it made zero mentions. That makes this article Click Bait at best.

Don't get me wrong, Whisper of the Heart is a great movie, I was just expecting more.
TheRahi00

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:31 am Reply with quote
Picky33 wrote:
I thought based on the title it "Whisper of the Heart Retrospective: The Real Story Behind the Lo-Fi Hip Hop Study Girl" it might have actually said something about the "Real Story" of the Lo-Fi Hip Hop girl but it made zero mentions. That makes this article Click Bait at best.

?

What a bizarre comment. The entire article is about the character who is being used for the "Lo-Fi Hip Hop Study Girl" video. It talks about the character herself, the movie she features in, the studio and the director who created said girl. What else is there to say ?
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I keep getting a 500 error trying to access this article.

EDIT Working now on my mobile.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:34 pm Reply with quote
There was a bug accessing a few articles via IPv6. Thank you for letting us know.
Nekomo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:35 am Reply with quote
This Ghibli film is definitely one my favourites.
If you get the chance to watch some other Ghibli films that give off a similar vibe then definitely watch Ocean Waves and From Up On The Poppy Hill!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1