• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tesla Note (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:04 am Reply with quote

Tesla Note (TV)

Genres: action, comedy, drama, science fiction
Themes: spies

Plot Summary: Botan, a girl raised since birth to be a ninja, is recruited by a secret organization and partnered with the loudmouthed, but talented, Kuruma. The name of the game: Mission T. The assignment: recover the Tesla Shards before the world's villains can reassemble them into the Tesla Crystal and bring about destruction.

Oct. 3, 2021 (Sundays; FUNimation)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 01: A Consideration on the "New-Fledged Spy"

Summary: (Another case of me replacing the Encyclopedia's plot summary with my own. The premise for the series is the plot of this first episode. Future episodes will get their own summaries).
----------------------------------

Comments: Looks like we got a slightly less cringe-worthy version of EX-ARM on our hands: a possibly cool sci-fi concept ruined by having its anime adaptation produced in 3D CGI by some no-name, up-start studio.

I will say compared to E-A, this looks way better. TN mixes in traditional 2D animation in very small spurts, which actually look.. normal. But for whatever reason, I guess making shoddy 3D models is considered Great Value animation in their industry. And unlike E-A, at least they're not using those tacky dark filters to create some shoehorned effect of "gritty." Oh, and there's actually a pretty decent amount of detail in the backgrounds (also unlike E-A). The shading and color scheme are serviceable, but nothing to write home about. The art is certainly sub-par by today's standards, but I'd say it's twice as good as E-A (which should tell you just how bad that looks).

While the visual aspects of the show are disappointing, the audio is awesome. Legendary composer Kaoru Wada (of D.gray-man, InuYasha, and Ninja Scroll fame) handles the score. And while he re-uses a lot of the same instrumentation he's always had, it never gets old and always sounds stupendous. The opening and ending themes are also very catchy, if you like typical J-Pop anime songs. Cast-wise, the two main actors are unknown to me, but they bring a ton of energy to their roles, so that's a pleasant surprise. Supporting cast is gonna' be solid with their supposed handlers being played by Kazuya Nakai (Mugen from Samurai Champloo) and Junichi Suwabe (Archer from the Fate franchise). Those guys are awesome.

I really do like the premise, though: main character girl trained as a ninja who possesses high combat abilities and chameleon skills paired with a wild and rambunctious male counterpart searching the world for these mysterious shards while also avoiding terroristic portals that are dropping trains and box trucks into public locations. Yes, it sounds ludicrous, and it's that kind of absurdity I enjoy. If anything, this will definitely get me into the manga.
----------------------------------

Caps:

camseyeview140

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:04 pm Reply with quote
THis show is a hoooooooot mess. It might have better CGI than EX Arm, but we didn't need another Ex-Arm. I'm just hoping it stays absolutely brainless or else I will hate it just as much as Ex Arm...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Well, I've made it through the first 3 episodes, and I'm still on the fence about whether I like it or not. The CGI is pretty awful (especially after watching a work as beautifully CGIed as the donghua The Defective), but I gotta say, they've been doing some interesting things with it, like their handler's expression in the car in the opener of Ep 3 when they're fighting, and he just looks like, "Oh gods, gag me with a spoon and let me outta here," or Botan's expressions when talking to the bullied girl in the hall or seeing the boyfriend naked. At least that stuff makes me laugh.

The plot though is just brain-meltingly stupid, as if the series itself is a Tesla crystal warping my head into the desk where the two become one. And the agent who is probably related to Botan (see similar facial moles) is so cranky with everyone, he's wearing out his welcome. Let's see if Ep 4 can knock me onto the keep or drop side.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:19 am Reply with quote
Who knew that in WW2 Japan were such good guys in trying to end the war?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:12 am Reply with quote
Holy hairballs, what the hell happened to Ep 13? It made Ep 11 of Wizard Barristers look like sakuga in comparison. The "epic" showdown was essentially reduced to dialog, sound effects and a static shot of the sun with lens flare. When they deigned to put people in the shot, they were one, maybe two characters against a blank background, which was occasionally a color when it wasn't plain white. I have no idea what was going on, action-wise. Seriously, I've never seen a production fall apart so completely in the last episode as this. It was like the animation staff said, "Screw this, we're done, going home for Christmas KFC now." Laughing

Good thing I didn't care about this, and at least the creators clearly didn't take the plot seriously either. Surely after that ending they're not hoping for a second season, are they? Maybe this was deliberate sabotage to make sure there wouldn't be one?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1