• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Vampire Dies in No Time (TV) (w/ index).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:35 am Reply with quote

Season 1: (The) Vampire Dies in No Time (TV)
Season 2: (The) Vampire Dies in No Time (TV 2)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 24 volumes, by Itaru Bonnoki)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Madhouse

Genres: comedy, supernatural

Themes: absurdity, bounty hunters, gag humor, satire, sketch comedy, vampires

Plot Summary: After hearing the "invincible" Draluc had kidnapped a child, famed vampire hunter, Ronaldo, accepts the job of saving him. Upon battling the vampire, he discovers Draluc isn't as invincible as the rumors say. And after accidentally destroying his castle, Ronaldo decides to offer refuge to Draluc as a temporary business partner. Meanwhile, Draluc believes Ronaldo owes him and is merely lending the hunter his "power."

Air Date & Platform:
Season 1: October 4, 2021 (Monday)
Available on: FUNimation

Season 2: January 9, 2023 (Tuesday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 1: 12 episodes
Season 2: 12 episodes

Total: 24 episodes
----------------------------------

EPISODE INDEX

(Clicking on the episode will take you to my post that has a summary, comments, and screen-caps)

- Season 1

Episode 01:
- The Hunter Comes and Flies in the Sky
- The Idiot, the Convenience Store, and Impermanence

Episode 02:
- Assault! Mr. Fukuma
- Falling Like Flowers in Shin-Yokohama
- Can a Bang on the Wall Kill Him?

Episode 03:
- Highway to Success, Path to Failure
- Ridiculous Hunter Guild
- More Ridiculous Hunter Guild

Episode 04:
- I Have Desire, Therefore I Metamorphose
- Kitchen Liberal Force
- The Man's Name Is Handa

Episode 05:
- The Longest Day of Tsujigiri Nagiri
- Cats Are Cute
- Handa, Day Off, History

Episode 06:
- Tale of the Empress's Birth
- Draluc's Family
- Draluc's Family, Continued

Episode 07:
- Lewd Talk-a-Talk-Talk-Talk
- Tou Handa's Terrible Day Off
- And then Comes Father

Episode 08:
- The Bat's Close Call
- Kidnap Capriccio
- Kidnap Elegy

Episode 09:
- Citizen Baseball Kane
- The Left Hand of Iron is Kind of Boring
- Emperor of the Shore

Episode 10:
- The Festival Music Calls You
- Heisei Annoying Vampire Battle in Shin-Yoko
- Draluc's All Night Shin-Yoko

Episode 11:
- Shin-Yoko Battle Royale
- John meets Draluc
- Waiting for LOVE

Episode 12:
- Silver Rise Blind Your Eyes
- Dress Up for You
- Five Dumb Matches

OP1: "Dies in No Time" by Jun Fukuyama
ED1: "Strangers" by TRD

- Season 2

Episode 13 (S02E01):
- Draluc, Friends, Almost Independent
- Go, Ghost Hunters
- Draluc the Silent Jammer

Episode 14 (S02E02):
- From Tokyo to Neo Bayside
- Exciting Draluc Surveillance Diary
- Quest of Soul Gate: Investigators of the Soul

Episode 15 (S02E03):
- Lovecall Sanzu
- Do Your Best, Sagyo
- Chaosman is Back

Episode 16 (S02E04):
- Minding the Guild with a Suspicious Person
- Good Mother, Goodbye Summer
- Good Mother, Goodbye Summer, Part 2

Episode 17 (S02E05):
- The Dream-Quest of Unknown Fukuda
- A Kind Man Under Siege
- Last Stop, Ura-Shin-Yokohama

Episode 18 (S02E06):
- Big Brother, Light Chapter
- Big Brother, Dark Chapter
- The Deadline March

Episode 19 (S02E07):
- Put a sock in it!!!
- Wee' are the State"
- Joh, You've Gotten Dog

Episode 20 (S02E08):
- Oh! Nude
- Handa's Dadandandan Da-Talk
- Will the Moon Rise Again over Shin-Yoko?

Episode 21 (S02E09):
- Utopia BBOLAND
- Dad and the Suspicious Person
- Hello, How are You? Are You Free?

Episode 22 (S02E10):
- Little Little Concerto
- Little Little Concerto ~Duck Squashing Part~
- Miracle, Manacle, Why Do I Always End Up Like This?

Episode 23 (S02E11):
- Please Suggest Warming Each Other Up
- Legend of Ronaldist
- Waltz with the Smiling Ice Lord in the Town of the Eternal

Episode 24 (S02E1):
- Waltz with the Smiling Ice Lord in the Town of the Eternal, Continued
- Fun Stupid Guys in Shin-Yokohama Special ver.

OP2: (w/ Lyrics): "New Drama Paradise" by Jun Fukuyama
ED2: "Cozy Crazy Party" by TRD

Animated by Madhouse, led by the director of Hunter X Hunter (2011), music from the composer of ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. and starring the seiyuu of Lelouch and Saitama in, what sounds like, a goofy supernatural buddy comedy?

I'm sold.

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:16 pm; edited 15 times in total
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I personally found this one to be delightful. Easily my favorite anime of the season so far alongside Muteking: The Dancing Hero.

I love the comedy, the dynamics, the visuals, and you think Draluc's dying gag would get tiring, but it never does.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:23 am Reply with quote
Episode 01:
- The Hunter Comes and Flies in the Sky
- The Idiot, the Convenience Store, and Impermanence

Summary:

(Same as the premise. Future episodes will get their own unique summaries).

Comments:

The episode actually has two names (one for each half), so my guess is they're turning chapters of the manga into segments of anime, kind of like a sketch comedy. I'm totally cool with that, since this has all sorts of gag, screwball, and slapstick humor.

In Madhouse we trust. While it's not as nearly as flashy as other titles from the studio, after looking at some samples of the manga, I would actually say this is a pretty good adaptation of the source. The manga itself isn't that detailed, so there's really not much to add, other than color, lots of shading, a bunch of backgrounds, and the occasional CG effect for good measure. I'm quite impressed with a lot of the night shots, as they did an excellent job with contrasts and outlining. I also love the slow creep movement they animate for Draluc. I feel it reinforces his disposition for the self-inflated poser that he is.

In terms of audio, we've got Ryou Takahashi (ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept., Sk8 the Infinity) doing the score. It's pretty laid back with a mix of soft jazz, synth, and frenzied orchestral pieces for the absurdities. For voice acting, Ronaldo is played by Makoto Furukawa (Saitama from One-Punch Man), while Draluc is played by Jun Fukuyama (Lelouch from Code Geass). Furukawa brings a kind of manic neuroticism to his character, with Fukuyama being a kind of eccentric and pompous opposite. It's hilarious to hear them go back and forth at each other, especially considering the other roles they're so famous for.

And to think there're already 18 volumes of this and it's still ongoing. I can't wait to see what other kinds of shenanigans they get into. If you like laughing, watch this!

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Anyone find this last episode like actually funny besides me? I haven't been finding it evenly funny, and frequently wasn't finding anything funny at the start, but like a growing gag I'm finding more to laugh at. Meeting Draluc's family and telling them Ronaldo was a pole dancer...and when he said he expressed the 4 seasons in his pole dancing Anime smile;; and then the whole family being so afraid of the game was just done well. It was the episode that finally made me laugh and for that I was happy.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, meeting the family was actually a pretty funny episode. I even kind of laughed at the female relative being extra pushy with trying to learn things about Ronaldo. Granted, an especially black spot of the series of things that I have found kind of offensive rather than funny, has been its low brow use of homophobic jokes, such as that one hunter who the whole joke is that he is gay and he is going to prey on Draluc, putting him in women's clothing. But Ronaldo suddenly being put into a bunny girl suit did get a laugh. Also the timing of the board game getting a go back to the start square one off from the end, and Draluc actually selling out Ronaldo incredibly quickly at the end.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:21 am Reply with quote

And with this episode, John clinches the title of Best Round Thing! A futsal ace and brave friend to small children and wicked vampires alike!

The humor in this is mostly pretty hit and miss for me, but the whole bit with the bat crab just had me in stitches. At first I thought he said it was a panda, until I realized he was eliding the i from "kan(i) da." The more elaborate Handa's lies became, with Draluc getting caught up in it, the funnier it got. And that wink just destroyed me. Laughing

Yet with all that, I think my favorite gag was this:

which reminded me of this shot from Comical Psychosomatic Medicine:

Also, his little feet scrambling under her shirt to keep from slipping down. How she could not notice that... Anyway, outstanding episode. Hope the rest are this good.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:29 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it was a fun episode, such as with the ridiculous of trying to convince the other two that a bat was a crab. And how everyone was so invested in the safety of John when they thought he was kidnapped, before he even ended up kidnapped, leading the kidnapper to see himself as suddenly out of his depth, until he saved him from another kidnapper.

I think my favourite sight gag of the episode though was just seeing John in his sports clothes drinking out of a water bottle made for human size.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:26 am Reply with quote
Wow, I haven't said anything about this one. I love its "vampires include all things vampire" methodology and Drac is such a great comedic character but as a gag series, it runs characters, gags and gag characters into the ground with stunning regularity.

"Sand!", like Drac himself never gets old but when certain characters show up, I immediately see the next 8 minute segment already in my head. I'm both glad and surprised it's getting dubbed. A humor rewrite should help raise the stakes or at least make them pointier.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:35 am Reply with quote

Not so good this week (they were sure into the nudity theme though, huh!). I think the only thing that got a real laugh from me was John rolling down the sand Dralucastle at the very end.

I think you maybe have to be Japanese to really get the baseball jonken thing. It's got quite a history. Very Happy
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:54 am Reply with quote
(villain wanting to make the world wear micro bikinis)
(heroes fighting to stop it)
Me: No no, he's got a point.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:05 am Reply with quote

The lewd talk barrier was pretty stupid, but I guess they made up for it with John's backstory, which was 5 stars awesome. John really is undisputed Best Ball.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:02 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (Season finale)

It wasn't super great, the last episode felt like it did 3 sets of trying to bring back major parts of the series, such as ensemble cast, and as usual there are hits and misses. In general I kind of see the series having more misses than hits in its comedy, at least for me. I think part of my thoughts is its reliant on joke that are too low brow, or something like the joke is sexy or sexual men, because that must be uncomfortable to the male characters, and thus funny.

There was something that worked pretty well in this show though, and that would be John, which might have started out as lol random, but I think really earned its place at being able to make entire jokes around him. Like that episode that was entirely around John missing. And to give some more positive thoughts, the whole shtick of Draluc turning into sand did kind of grow onto me, with things like him saying sand when he does.

My rating is going to be Decent (6/10), where it might have started lower, but did manage to have some more likable bits as it went on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1