• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Our Most Anticipated Anime Of Fall 2021

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abraham Omosun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:29 am Reply with quote
Definitely watching Ranking of kings, 86 s2, Demon Slayer. I am really liking Hike Monogatari but like the review said, it feels that is meant for an audience who is already familiar with it (I was do confused during the 1st half of episode 2).

Pretty hyped for Komi-san and that new Sunrise mecha show (because we need new 2d mecha animation in the year 2021). Mushoku tensei looks good but I'm already burnt on it from the first half so skipping that (will definitely bookmark it on sakugabooru though).
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:41 am Reply with quote
I'm already sold on Heike, even if I have absolutely no knowledge of the story its based on. BTW, does anyone know which is the best English translation to read for Tale of the Heike? I found a bunch of different ones and don't know which one is the best one. I know there's this modern translation: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/356882.The_Heike_Story?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=4bBcfDLO5S&rank=1 and this one translated by someone who did Tale of Genji as well: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18114145-the-tale-of-the-heike. Any suggestions?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:46 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
I'm already sold on Heike, even if I have absolutely no knowledge of the story its based on. BTW, does anyone know which is the best English translation to read for Tale of the Heike? I found a bunch of different ones and don't know which one is the best one. I know there's this modern translation: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/356882.The_Heike_Story?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=4bBcfDLO5S&rank=1 and this one translated by someone who did Tale of Genji as well: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18114145-the-tale-of-the-heike. Any suggestions?

I think the Royall Taylor translation (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13589162-the-tale-of-the-heike) is the best to go with because Funi's subtitles quote his text at times. His introduction is also very informative and gives you some idea why Biwa was created as a viewer-entry point character in the first place.
Dayraven

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:50 am Reply with quote
The Eiji Yoshikawa version of the Heike is a translation of a relatively recent prose retelling, while the Penguin edition translates the epic poem original.

I’d suggest looking at a few sample pages of translations on Amazon or similar if you can, and see whether the style suits you.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:59 am Reply with quote
I'm not particularly excited for any of the 8 anime I decided to start watching next season, but I do have 14 others in the 'maybe' pile, which I'll go through if I end up dropping anything. Lots of stuff, but nothing not particularly catches my eye - the one anecdote I have is that I found the Ice Hockey anime to have the funniest two trailers when compared to each other given one was pretty much "hey it's an idol anime! except they play ice hockey sometimes" and the other one had epic music while only showing the sport moments
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:52 am Reply with quote
The second part of Jobless Reincarnation is the only show I am truly looking forward to. Date a Live IV could have been in this category, but it was delayed. I also hope the new Lerche/Masaomi Ando gig is worthwhile.
xevius

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:56 am Reply with quote
10 shows I'll be watching this Fall in order of excitement:

1) Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation
2) Tsuki to Laika to Nosferatu
3) Komi Can't Communicate
4) Restaurant to Another World
5) 86
6) Yashahime: Princess Half Demon
7) Mieruko-chan
8) The Faraway Paladin
9) Banished From The Heroes Party...
10) My Senpai Is Annoying

Last edited by xevius on Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
musouka

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm also looking forward to Tricornered Window the most, so I was happy to see it listed as one of the ones the staff is looking forward to as well--I think it's gone criminally under noticed in general, likely because people think they already know what it's about purely by looking at the synopsis.

I would say if there's doubt on exactly how romantic we're supposed to see the relationship, I would strongly recommend a reread of the material. This isn't to cast aspirations on Rebecca's--or anyone else's--reading comprehension, only that I felt similarly until I reread the entire series shortly after the final volume came out, paying more attention to Hiyakawa and Mikado's partnership, what they say to one another both knowing and unknowingly. It's a dense series with a lot of mysteries, so the exact nature of feelings between them can get lost in the shuffle, especially when you're reading with a gap between volumes. After my reread, I came away 100% satisfied that Yamashita was writing a male/male romance, even if it's a rather unusual one.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:39 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:

I would say if there's doubt on exactly how romantic we're supposed to see the relationship, I would strongly recommend a reread of the material. This isn't to cast aspirations on Rebecca's--or anyone else's--reading comprehension, only that I felt similarly until I reread the entire series shortly after the final volume came out, paying more attention to Hiyakawa and Mikado's partnership, what they say to one another both knowing and unknowingly. It's a dense series with a lot of mysteries, so the exact nature of feelings between them can get lost in the shuffle, especially when you're reading with a gap between volumes. After my reread, I came away 100% satisfied that Yamashita was writing a male/male romance, even if it's a rather unusual one.

That's really great to hear, musouka. After all of the double-entendres I was surprised that I didn't feel that it had a strong romantic plotline. I'm not surprised that a re-read would bring that out more, since the armchair detective portion of reading wouldn't be as strong and you can pay more attention to nuance. Or I can, at any rate. Very Happy
musouka

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
That's really great to hear, musouka. After all of the double-entendres I was surprised that I didn't feel that it had a strong romantic plotline. I'm not surprised that a re-read would bring that out more, since the armchair detective portion of reading wouldn't be as strong and you can pay more attention to nuance. Or I can, at any rate. Very Happy

If the anime does a good job, maybe it'll have a similar impact to a reread! I'm really looking forward to seeing reviews of it, but yours especially, since I've enjoyed your reviews of the manga a lot. Here's to hoping.

EDIT: Not sure this will be seen, but there is one thing I'd like to point out. What Hiyakawa and Mikado are doing at the very beginning are not double-entendres, they're sex acts. It's easy to miss this, since we don't see how other exorcists work until much later in the series, but I think if readers go back and look from this perspective, the evolution of the relationship makes a lot more sense. (Basically, they start out "just having sex" and then things get more complicated as emotions start to come into it.)

Last edited by musouka on Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
ab2143

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm super excited for Ranking of Kings. Following a deaf protagonist is going to be interesting. Based on the trailers, Bojji's definitely a MC worth rooting for!

The character designs and art style makes it seem like it's straight from a children's fairy tale book (at least for me). Hope this doesn't put people off from watching it as there's talented staff working on it.

It's more than likely to receive a weekly streaming review and if it does, I really hope Rebecca reviews the series as well versed in children's literature, fairy and folk tales which this series seems to draw upon(?)
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:47 pm Reply with quote
So Sakugan is "what if gurren lagann was more like gurren lagann"?

I guess I'm also looking forward to Kyoukai Senki, or rather I'm looking forward to their gunpla since they have an interesting design. I have no doubt that the story will be terrible. Still 2 mech show in one season, this is like the early 00's (sorta 3 with Shikizakura)!

Last edited by meiam on Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Saeryen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:02 pm Reply with quote
No one's talking about PriMagi? It's definitely the show I'm most excited for. Legal streaming of a sparkly shoujo magical show with idols and fairies. It just looks so awesome! I get Pretty Cure vibes from the stuff so far already (except idols rather than warriors).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tfwnoymir

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Saeryen wrote:
No one's talking about PriMagi? It's definitely the show I'm most excited for. Legal streaming of a sparkly shoujo magical show with idols and fairies. It just looks so awesome! I get Pretty Cure vibes from the stuff so far already (except idols rather than warriors).

It's certainly on my list.

Other than that, I'll try to be more conservative from now on. I'm busy with university right now and I also want to avoid burnout. There's also so many titles it's impossible to keep up with everything I lay my eyes on.

As for the actual titles:

Of the continuing shows, I'll watch Aquatope, 86 II and Let's Make a Mug Two.

Of the news titles I'm interested in: I already mentioned PriMagi, but there's also Selection Project, Sakugan and PuraOre that's top of my most anticipated titles. There's also Komi-san, Faraway Paladin and My Senpai is Annoying which might be good, but all of these mentioned are adaptations (which means they're less of a priority), while the former are original titles. There's also Laika which I'm not sure I want to commit: it sounds good in theory, but it might fall into the 'I can't be bothered' category.

And there's also a special mention: Heike Monogatari. I know it's ongoing and I basically eat everything up Yamada ever does, but I haven't found a time for it yet. But I'll definitely watch it.

EDIT: There's also the case of Mieruko-chan (also an adaptation), which I'll probably give at least 1 episode and YuYuYu S3 which I'll probably skip because I can't stand Takahiro's bullshit - edgyness with a hint of jingoism, also boobs - and 2 seasons were enough of that.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I wish I could contain my hype for Komi-san, wouldn't want to have too much expectation. And Demon Slayer, entertainment district arc is my personal favorite from the manga, so looking forward to it. Also as a regular mainstream anime fan, can't wait for any fantasy/isekai titles which I can't keep up anymore which is which, would notice it when I watched and if ended up enjoying it.

I'm interested in Ranking of Kings as well, it looks beautiful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3