• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Anime, Game Tweets Tagged "Potential Danger" By Los Angeles Police Department's

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weird Guy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Murica...
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:58 pm Reply with quote
There's... not really anything sketchy here? It's like they ran a search for anything with "kill" or "murder" in it, which pretty much anyone can do. I'm sure they filtered out 90+% of these tweets, since they don't have the time to investigate all the users.
Vent

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Dark Mac wrote:
There's... not really anything sketchy here? It's like they ran a search for anything with "kill" or "murder" in it, which pretty much anyone can do. I'm sure they filtered out 90+% of these tweets, since they don't have the time to investigate all the users.

I think the issue is that collating tweets from people they aren't even investigating - like if the cops talk to you at all they start tracking your social media - is transparently so they can use it against you if they suspect you of anything regardless of whether or not you did it and given that the LAPD has notoriously been one of the worst police departments in the US (which is saying a lot) I wouldn't put it past them.

Last edited by Vent on Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:21 pm Reply with quote
"Civil liberties? Never heard of 'em!"
Scytalle
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
"Civil liberties? Never heard of 'em!"

Just curious what you mean here. Public tweets are public. As was said above, I'm sure this is just noise they will filter out. But once you publicly tweet something, it's out there and can be searched.

This whole article feels kinda like fear mongering.
puraoreo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Yes, this is definitely what the police should be doing - stalking people on social media and arresting people based on dumb anime jokes they don't understand.
The Internet is getting worse by the day.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Scytalle wrote:

Just curious what you mean here. Public tweets are public. As was said above, I'm sure this is just noise they will filter out. But once you publicly tweet something, it's out there and can be searched.

Yes, these tweets are public, but indiscriminately trawling through the entirety of said publicly-available tweets without probable cause seems far outside the purview of acceptable activities for a local police department.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Yes, these tweets are public, but indiscriminately trawling through the entirety of said publicly-available tweets without probable cause seems far outside the purview of acceptable activities for a local police department.

Employers and schools have been combing your social media for awhile now and use it to punish or monitor their employees/students. Police are probably the one group who should be doing this though, given there's people dumb enough to confess to doing or planning criminal actives on various platforms. If online privacy is a real concern though, it's best to not use your real name on them.
tsog

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I don't think crawling through tweets is the problem here; it's the mislabeling of tweets.

However, since it's stated that it's a pilot test, the impact here should be much less than if they are using it day-to-day to proactively monitor people.

Let's face it; if a tweet is public, assume it's saved by someone somewhere already, whether it's the "good guys" or the "bad guys". The real question is what they intend to do with these tweets.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Scytalle wrote:

Especially consider that "The police also provided key terms for monitoring, many of which were connected to Black Lives Matter and related social activism".

Extremely broad surveillance is absolutely unquestionably bad and well beyond what a local police department should be doing.

But this is something far worse - it's targeted surveillance based on political beliefs. It's what you'd expect of the Gestapo, the Stasi, the KGB.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:46 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Extremely broad surveillance is absolutely unquestionably bad and well beyond what a local police department should be doing.

But this is something far worse - it's targeted surveillance based on political beliefs. It's what you'd expect of the Gestapo, the Stasi, the KGB.

Unfortunately it's exactly what I'd expect from US policing as well.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Post deleted. Keep to the topic please.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1