• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Demon Slayer: Mugen Train Is 1st Anime Film to Top Annual DVD Chart in 12 Years

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I guess the TV version did nothing to damper people's desire for the film.

Hilarious considering the wild theories people were positing (here and elsewhere) about what the TV version would do to the film's sales. It is almost as if their outcry (tantrum) meant nothing.
Erufailon4

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 5:17 am Reply with quote
Connor Dino wrote:

Hilarious considering the wild theories people were positing (here and elsewhere) about what the TV version would do to the film's sales. It is almost as if their outcry (tantrum) meant nothing.

The film was released on DVD & blu-ray in June. The TV version wasn't even announced until the last week of September. That's over three months of sales before the TV version could have any effect on the film's sales. These end-of-year numbers are the totals from June to December, so using them to support either side of that argument is pointless. (And even if there was monthly data to show how the film's sales got smaller every month, well that's just how it always works.)
Connor Dino

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Erufailon4 wrote:
Connor Dino wrote:

The film was released on DVD & blu-ray in June. The TV version wasn't even announced until the last week of September. That's over three months of sales before the TV version could have any effect on the film's sales. These end-of-year numbers are the totals from June to December, so using them to support either side of that argument is pointless. (And even if there was monthly data to show how the film's sales got smaller every month, well that's just how it always works.)

I disagree. If the numbers accounted for sales DURING the TV airing (as you yourself admit), then it very much supports my side of the argument: That the movie would still sell bananas regardless of the tv version, that there would be no sharp and massive decrease in sales for all things demon slayer, and how a lot of outcry online was overblown, childish and pointless.

Of course you are right, we don't know the percentage for each month and I'm sure there may be some percentage decrease every month...but my argument was aimed at the most provocative of outbursts, not reasonable people discussing the potential of decreasing marginal returns of bluray sales based on correlating data of the tv version's airing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1