• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Arifureta - From Commonplace to World's Strongest Light Novels End in Next Volume

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
primalmaximus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:04 am Reply with quote
I always knew that the series was ending in the next volume. I just want to know when it's being released.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:46 am Reply with quote
It's been a long cliffhanger wait so far.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:17 am Reply with quote
Fans have been wondering about what's taking the latest volume so long.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:24 am Reply with quote
People be like "This is the last Volume", but forget to realize the sequel, Arifureta After Story, is even longer than the original.
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:38 am Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:
People be like "This is the last Volume", but forget to realize the sequel, Arifureta After Story, is even longer than the original.

Great news! I hope it gets printed.I only know the gist of the after stories by just reading through the wiki of the characters and not sure how long it was.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:23 am Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:

I didn't know there was a sequel series....
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:49 am Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:

That's solely a webnovel for now. They might perhaps pick it up for publishing after the last volume of the main story?
borisdrakoni

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
AnimeFlyz wrote:

That's solely a webnovel for now. They might perhaps pick it up for publishing after the last volume of the main story?

It'd be almost silly not to pick up the after story. Arifureta has been one of Overlap's flagship titles since it started publication in 2015, and from the looks of Docomo Anime Store's streaming rankings season 2 of the anime is doing incredibly well right now in Japan. Unless Shirakome himself was against it, I can't come up with a single reason why the publisher would let it end there when there's still so much material left that could bring them more profit.
topgun97

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:51 pm Reply with quote
borisdrakoni wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:
AnimeFlyz wrote:

It'd be almost silly not to pick up the after story. Arifureta has been one of Overlap's flagship titles since it started publication in 2015, and from the looks of Docomo Anime Store's streaming rankings season 2 of the anime is doing incredibly well right now in Japan. Unless Shirakome himself was against it, I can't come up with a single reason why the publisher would let it end there when there's still so much material left that could bring them more profit.

It's nice to see that the second season is doing well. It's always interesting to see anime that has a good reception in Japan but not so much over here in the west. I remember the first season was disliked by the overall community due to the pacing, visuals, and overall production. But it did really well in Japan to the point they announced a second season right after the first one ended.

Another example is SAO. SAO is notorious for being hated by the western anime community. Just look at all the videos talking about it on youtube. But SAO is one the highest selling LN's in Japan. Even the blu-rays for the anime sell a lot.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:55 pm Reply with quote
So how much can we expect to be covered by the second season? Would a 3rd season be able to finish the story, or would we need more?
Lirsen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
So how much can we expect to be covered by the second season? Would a 3rd season be able to finish the story, or would we need more?

taking the pace and the opening this second season will end in the novel number six, so if they continue at the same pace they would need another 2 seasons to cover everything
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:29 pm Reply with quote
topgun97 wrote:
Another example is SAO. SAO is notorious for being hated by the western anime community. Just look at all the videos talking about it on youtube. But SAO is one the highest selling LN's in Japan. Even the blu-rays for the anime sell a lot.

Not the same kind of situation at all. SAO took a lot of flak in the West, and had a lot of very vocal haters, but it was still very popular; it was, IIRC, the biggest new show of 2012 in the West by a wide margin, and it was on Adult Swim only seven months after it finished. It also had crossover appeal that Arifureta could only dream of having, as tons of casual viewers watched it, too.

If you need further evidence, consider that the first SAO series is the 5th most-watched title all-time on MAL (even ahead of Naruto and My Hero Academia), despite having by far the lowest rating in the top 30.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Lirsen wrote:

taking the pace and the opening this second season will end in the novel number six, so if they continue at the same pace they would need another 2 seasons to cover everything

Thanks for the info! I could see a 3rd season, but might be hard to get a 4th with the LN long over by then. Though I suppose if there's a follow-up like mentioned earlier that could keep the momentum going
topgun97

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
topgun97 wrote:

Not the same kind of situation at all. SAO took a lot of flak in the West, and had a lot of very vocal haters, but it was still very popular; it was, IIRC, the biggest new show of 2012 in the West by a wide margin, and it was on Adult Swim only seven months after it finished. It also had crossover appeal that Arifureta could only dream of having, as tons of casual viewers watched it, too.

If you need further evidence, consider that the first SAO series is the 5th most-watched title all-time on MAL (even ahead of Naruto and My Hero Academia), despite having by far the lowest rating in the top 30.

Yeah SAO might have not been the best example. The reason that anime came to my mind was that I remember when season 3 was announced and all the movie announcements since the anime first came out, throughout the anime community so many people were pissed and were complaining about it. I still remember people saying things like "How come [insert other popular anime here] doesn't get another season but SAO gets so many. It's so unfair." and other similar comments.

When I watched the first season of Arifureta as it aired I saw so many complaints in discussions about the anime, but then the last episode came out and boom! An announcement for a second season. I still remember the comments where people were seething about this and saying the same things I mentioned earlier about SAO getting more seasons. "Arifureta is trash! But it gets another season! Wtf!". You find out later that Arifureta was actually popular in Japan and people in the west are like "Huh?! How's that possible?"
borisdrakoni

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:33 pm Reply with quote
topgun97 wrote:
When I watched the first season of Arifureta as it aired I saw so many complaints in discussions about the anime, but then the last episode came out and boom! An announcement for a second season. I still remember the comments where people were seething about this and saying the same things I mentioned earlier about SAO getting more seasons. "Arifureta is trash! But it gets another season! Wtf!". You find out later that Arifureta was actually popular in Japan and people in the west are like "Huh?! How's that possible?"

Arifureta's first season was really its own unique monster. It was plagued by production issues basically from day 1, which lead to it being delayed over a year while it got rebooted more or less from scratch. The final product being what it was naturally drew a lot of criticism for its poor technical values, while the longtime fans were incredibly unhappy with the fast pacing that cut out a lot of material. Having read the author's and director's interviews from the anime art book, it was clear that the plan all along had basically been a one and done series almost up until it finished airing.

That being said, season 1 was surprisingly successful if you only look at the results. Despite the heaps of criticism, it was one of the most viewed animes in the summer 2019 quarter. Light novel and manga sales also shot up by over a million more copies during that period, which is more than likely a major contributor to why season 2 was greenlit. If the second season follows a similar track, I wouldn't be too surprised if it gets renewed again since Overlap is producing a lot more anime these days.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2