• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Whole of Humanity Has Gone Yuri Except for Me GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:15 am Reply with quote
I'm generally not a fan of yuri. There's got to be a a good hook other than just girl on girl action to make me check it out. The title of this one grabbed my attention and I found it to be an enjoyable read because of the underlying mystery involved.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Is this manga serious? A world thriving due to men no longer existing? And somehow all the women are lesbians? Confused
Florete

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Is this manga serious? A world thriving due to men no longer existing? And somehow all the women are lesbians? Confused

No, it's not serious, lol.
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:27 pm Reply with quote
To the creator of the review, I encourage u to read my below response to Animechic420, don't really care for how u kept calling the premise ridiculous when its a scenario that can happen (And since I didn't mention another world/reality there I'll also say thats also a theory scientists have mentioned, one I fully believe to be true, this + the below means its not ridiculous)

That said, i hope this gets an anime adap, doubtful but it'd be nice to see it as am not into reading books that much, but maybe I'll check this out as that premise sounds awesome to me

Animechic420 wrote:
Is this manga serious? A world thriving due to men no longer existing? And somehow all the women are lesbians? :?
Scientists have already thrown out the theory that a world without men is actually possible. Take certain species, they can reproduce without the need for males while others can reproduce even if males. We know that every being ever almost has evo'd over time to adapt to changes in their environment etc. and humans r no exception. So let's take a scenario where suddenly men weren't needed irl anymore to reproduce, now the human body after however many years/generations might eventually only be able to give birth to females. This is a scenario which scientists have already proposed is possible in the future. So, in short, if the world now only gives birth to girls, sooner or later everyone would be into girls and as far fetched as that may sound to some, it IS possible.

As for the bolded, I'm not even going to talk much on the subject of oh how messed up this world is and the fact men have and still are in charge cus I aint got nice things to say lol I will however say that a world with women who can be (not all are sadly) more caring than most men (sorry but that's been my personal exp. in life) sounds like its a world that woulda been better than the one we live in. A shame women weren't the ones in charge or both equally in charge... Hopefully the future will be more fair and the world will be better then.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:15 pm Reply with quote
The DNA of one ovum can fertilize another. Thus two women can produce a child which will be female, since there will be no Y chromosome. It is entirely feasible and practical for a planet consisting only of women to exist, and it would adhere to the evolutionary principle of random mutation in order to sustain survivability. It would be a world psychologically different from our own, as others are speculating. More nurturing and less combative. Probably a lot happier.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:39 am Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:

Life finds a way ..........
stefand

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:23 am Reply with quote
Seriously, if i would remove every manga that is based on a concept, that is not scientific possible, my shelves where empty. More important is, are the characters behaving in a believable way. That, and maybe that the internal contradictions are small enough to ignore.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:30 am Reply with quote
I was gonna say, judging from the review, it sounds less like everyone is suddenly a lesbian and more like, in this alternate universe, there is no other option than to be with a woman, thereby making it the “straight” option. Just swap heteronormativity for homonormativity and you’re golden.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:23 am Reply with quote
Basically, a lesbian version "Shuumatsu no Harem" in a way.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:36 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

But without the pointless edginess and gross fanservice.
Zimmer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:05 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:

But without the pointless edginess and gross fanservice.
So worse.
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:37 am Reply with quote
Deleted a hostile sexist post. Also deleted the following replies on that post.

If we step back a bit,and once again think about the concept... I don't think that I have read any manga where the world is entirely devoid of men. I don't find it as a fanservice manga, as the reviewer also stated the same thing and similar to MrAJCosplay/Cartoon Cipher, it seems that the manga is really taking that idea seriously.

Thinking about it, it seems that there are endless possibilities of what could happen in the world that Hiroki Haruse created, and yeah... could be like what gridsleep said,

Quote:
It would be a world psychologically different from our own, as others are speculating. More nurturing and less combative. Probably a lot happier.
Smile
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I must say, the title and initial premise of this two-volume series did have me wondering just how much the story would fall back on gay panic or other stereotypes for the sake of cheap comedy or fanservice.
I for the life of me can't figure out what this sentence means (particularly the bolded part) or how its necessary to even have this sentence in the review. There is clearly some significance to it since its the first sentence after the synopsis. Can anyone clear this up?

In the synopsis it mentioned that the MC character was unsure whether every male in the world was simply transformed into women (rather than a world where only females always existed). I kind of like that setup better because it eliminates the need to explain how a single sex humanity could come about. But then you're faced with another conundrum, are all those former males aware or unaware of the transformation?
maus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:40 am Reply with quote
So in short. Another isekai with an outrageous concept. Now one with a LGTVBBQ-hook. Thanks, but no thanks; I'll skip this nonsense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1