Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These - Collision


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Kirki



Joined: 11 Jun 2019
Posts: 219
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:43 am Reply with quote
Maybe it's just a personal preference but words can't explain how much I love this series, both the old one and this new one now that it grew on me. I'd argue that the story is much better in anime form than in the light novels, which seemed to be stepping on some serious breaks from the 4th novel onwards. I did not see that in the series at all, instead, it zoomed with relentless speed right up to its finale.

Politicking is number one in LotGH, but small character moments are of equal importance and don't let you get bored through the series 'history documentary' phase. There is so much meat in every episode, from Julian's friend realizing he survived his first battle, Reuenthal's backstory where his mother was essentially bought by his (in name) father and the consequences that resulted into, Mittermeyer's family bringing his future wife purposely into his house, and his goof with the yellow roses, Mittermeyer and Reuenthal's friendship (seriously was the tacky torture scene plucked right out of a BL fanfic or something? So entertaining though!) Oberstein's affection for dogs, Yang refusing to acknowledge the danger he might be into.

I think that what I love the most about this series is that everything just clicks. Everything that's happening will have meaning and severe consequences later on. It just fascinates me that what the audience doesn't realize yet how truly important it was that Kempff was selected to guide the attack at Iserlohn. Eveything, from strategic planning to explaining some aspects of the character's motivations, has or will gain importance. Also keep an eye on Frederica.

Lastly, shout out to the new anime addition of the girl hyping for Reinhard's reforms because she would finally be able to publish her book. "Honey it wasn't the cencorship's fault in the first place." Says the husband while feeding their baby. Ouch. Did that guy graduate from University of Savageness or something.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lord Vaultman



Joined: 03 Mar 2017
Posts: 797
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:09 am Reply with quote
I agree that episode 29 was exposition heavy in the extreme including in recaps. But ultimately it was important. Although they could have skipped half the lecture that man gave about transporting geiersburg fortress where he gave a lengthy this is how we got to where we are now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Intranetusa



Joined: 26 Jun 2005
Posts: 20
Location: USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Just to confirm, episodes 1-3 (overall ep. 25, 26, 27) are from the first movie and episodes 4-5 (overall ep. 28, 29) are from the second movie?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
jr240483



Joined: 24 Dec 2005
Posts: 4201
Location: New York City,New York,USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:25 am Reply with quote
Intranetusa wrote:
Just to confirm, episodes 1-3 (overall ep. 25, 26, 27) are from the first movie and episodes 4-5 (overall ep. 28, 29) are from the second movie?


it appears so
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
raiden18



Joined: 11 Jun 2009
Posts: 10
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:41 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Intranetusa wrote:
Just to confirm, episodes 1-3 (overall ep. 25, 26, 27) are from the first movie and episodes 4-5 (overall ep. 28, 29) are from the second movie?


it appears so


Seems like 3 movies, 4 "episodes" per movie, for a total of 12.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lord Vaultman



Joined: 03 Mar 2017
Posts: 797
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Loved episode 30. Honestly though I thought for sure withvthis new version they were planning to write out Rubinsky's assistant
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Beltane70



Joined: 07 May 2007
Posts: 3271
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Loved episode 30. Honestly though I thought for sure withvthis new version they were planning to write out Rubinsky's assistant


Was he not in the original novels? That would be the only reason to write him out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Lord Vaultman



Joined: 03 Mar 2017
Posts: 797
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Loved episode 30. Honestly though I thought for sure withvthis new version they were planning to write out Rubinsky's assistant


Was he not in the original novels? That would be the only reason to write him out.


I haven't read the novels yet (definitely on the bucket list though) but from the way he was written in the original 80s show he had been introduced a long time ago before now. It doesn't break anything to introduce him now but because they hadn't introduced him yet I had figured they had decided to change a small thing or two like some other things to help modernize the show and differentiate it in certain ways like theyve been doing here and there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jr240483



Joined: 24 Dec 2005
Posts: 4201
Location: New York City,New York,USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Loved episode 30. Honestly though I thought for sure withvthis new version they were planning to write out Rubinsky's assistant


Was he not in the original novels? That would be the only reason to write him out.


i was thinking the exact same thing for he would have been seen in season one if he was a canon character!

Quote:


As well, we get to spend more time with Kempff and his family before he heads off to the big, defining setpiece battle with Geiersberg, and there's some nice, baseline emotion to that setup.


indeed though they way they do it feels like a massive death flag will be coming similar to the signs with high admiral ovelesser during season 2!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Beltane70



Joined: 07 May 2007
Posts: 3271
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:24 pm Reply with quote
[quote="jr240483"]
Beltane70 wrote:
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Loved episode 30. Honestly though I thought for sure with this new version they were planning to write out Rubinsky's assistant


Was he not in the original novels? That would be the only reason to write him out.


i was thinking the exact same thing for he would have been seen in season one if he was a canon character!

[quote]

From what I've read, Die Neue These is actually a closer adaptation to the novels than the 1988 OVA series. With that in mind, I'm assuming that Rupert Kesselring is also in the novels. Even in the 88 OVA series Kesserling doesn't appear until its second season. To be fair, the first season in both version don't cover Rubinsky and Phezzan's real ambitions. There's also quite a few other characters that don't show up until further in the series, so Rubinsky's assistant not showing up until now isn't really that unusual.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Kirki



Joined: 11 Jun 2019
Posts: 219
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:01 pm Reply with quote
As the reviewer said, one of the most drastic changes in this new adaptation is the presentation of Reinhard and Kirchieis' relationship. They were both so stiff and poker-faced, trying to be presented as 'serious and mature' TM characters, that the series failed to sell them as the actual soulmates they were supposed to be. (The old series succeeded almost effortlessly and it was one of its strongest points. I cried rivers at Sieg's death when I first saw it.) One of the most obvious changes is that they didn't show how Reinhard used to play with Kirchieis' hair when he wanted to display affection towards him, thus making it so important that he cut off a strand and always kept it on his person in his locket.

It's like I'm hearing a voice from the production saying: "No. Thou shall NOT ship them! They had strong feelings for each other... the feeling was FRIENDSHIP!" Uuum, ok? You're not scoring any points towards that font by hiding stuff though. After all, Sieg had romantic feelings for Annerose, but he was still supposed to be soulmates with Reinhard. The fact that Hilde never stops comparing herself to Kirchieis should be an indication that no matter how you look at it, Reinhard and Kirchieis were supposed to have the strongest relationship in the show. Whether someone interprets that as platonic or romantic, it doesn't really affect anything. Shying away from obvious man to man intimacy sure wasn't the way to go about this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fluwm



Joined: 28 Jul 2009
Posts: 584
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Kirki wrote:
As the reviewer said, one of the most drastic changes in this new adaptation is the presentation of Reinhard and Kirchieis' relationship. They were both so stiff and poker-faced, trying to be presented as 'serious and mature' TM characters, that the series failed to sell them as the actual soulmates they were supposed to be. (The old series succeeded almost effortlessly and it was one of its strongest points. I cried rivers at Sieg's death when I first saw it.) One of the most obvious changes is that they didn't show how Reinhard used to play with Kirchieis' hair when he wanted to display affection towards him, thus making it so important that he cut off a strand and always kept it on his person in his locket.

It's like I'm hearing a voice from the production saying: "No. Thou shall NOT ship them! They had strong feelings for each other... the feeling was FRIENDSHIP!" Uuum, ok? You're not scoring any points towards that font by hiding stuff though. After all, Sieg had romantic feelings for Annerose, but he was still supposed to be soulmates with Reinhard. The fact that Hilde never stops comparing herself to Kirchieis should be an indication that no matter how you look at it, Reinhard and Kirchieis were supposed to have the strongest relationship in the show. Whether someone interprets that as platonic or romantic, it doesn't really affect anything. Shying away from obvious man to man intimacy sure wasn't the way to go about this.


Yeah, it reeks of No Homo.

But generally speaking... this adaptation is truer to the novels, which were pretty sparse on characterization. What made the OVA series so good is that it both incorporated material from the side-stories into the chronology proper and knew how to add new material that improved the story.

The main books are written in this very affected, faux-Academic style and are pretty dry.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lord Vaultman



Joined: 03 Mar 2017
Posts: 797
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Kirki wrote:
As the reviewer said, one of the most drastic changes in this new adaptation is the presentation of Reinhard and Kirchieis' relationship. They were both so stiff and poker-faced, trying to be presented as 'serious and mature' TM characters, that the series failed to sell them as the actual soulmates they were supposed to be. (The old series succeeded almost effortlessly and it was one of its strongest points. I cried rivers at Sieg's death when I first saw it.) One of the most obvious changes is that they didn't show how Reinhard used to play with Kirchieis' hair when he wanted to display affection towards him, thus making it so important that he cut off a strand and always kept it on his person in his locket.


For the record in season 1 or 2 of DNT they do show Reinhard stroking Siegs hair. It's not like they just completely cut it out. You can argue they maybe could have/ should have done it more often but at the end of the day they definitely showed that affection. This is a big story and while I don't want alot of stuff being cut out if they cut out out 3 strokes of siege hair for one stroke so they could include more story being adapted then so be it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TexZero



Joined: 25 Oct 2017
Posts: 519
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 10:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 32 lives up to it's predecessor and that's all i could have hoped for.
Glad to see they didn't alter Yang's retorts much if at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
penguintruth



Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 8229
Location: Penguinopolis
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Episode 32 was probably my favorite episode of Die Neue These thus far. It's always great seeing Yang out-talk pompous bureaucrats and warmongers. And Frederica's dressing down of Bay toward the end was masterful. And things are going to be even more heated now with the fortresses battle about to begin.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group