• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sonic Frontiers Game's Teaser Shows Gameplay

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 11:45 pm Reply with quote
That Open World running...
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:23 am Reply with quote
Why do they keep insisting on developing 3D Sonic games when Sonic Mania was so funny and beautiful and definitely worked better for a game in this series?! Mad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Megax36

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:30 am Reply with quote
Because in this industry, you have to evolve or else you evaporate. Sega has stated that they will continue to support the classic sonic formula, as they are doing will Sonic Origins. However, if they want Sonic to remain a relevant franchise in anything but mobile gaming, they can't continue to rely on the same old formula used in his original outings, they have to take a page out of Nintendo's playbook and find a way to evolve the formula to one that can be relevant in the 3D space.
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:42 am Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
Why do they keep insisting on developing 3D Sonic games when Sonic Mania was so funny and beautiful and definitely worked better for a game in this series?! Mad

Why not? As much as I like Sonic Mania I actually prefer Sonic Genenerations. I also think Sonic Adventure's Mystic Ruins section showed some untapped potential, when it comes to controlling Sonic characters in a 3d environment.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:26 am Reply with quote
Megax36 wrote:
Because in this industry, you have to evolve or else you evaporate. Sega has stated that they will continue to support the classic sonic formula, as they are doing will Sonic Origins. However, if they want Sonic to remain a relevant franchise in anything but mobile gaming, they can't continue to rely on the same old formula used in his original outings, they have to take a page out of Nintendo's playbook and find a way to evolve the formula to one that can be relevant in the 3D space.

If this game does well (both commercially and critically), maybe the "open zone" formula will end up becoming Sega's way of evolving Sonic's game formula.

Ryo Hazuki wrote:
I also think Sonic Adventure's Mystic Ruins section showed some untapped potential, when it comes to controlling Sonic characters in a 3d environment.

What is the untapped potential you are thinking of?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:34 am Reply with quote
The more open areas may be what is needed to make 3D Sonic feel like it works. For many of the 3d games, the areas kind of worked against Sonic's speed because he would reach edges so quickly and break momentum.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:38 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
The more open areas may be what is needed to make 3D Sonic feel like it works. For many of the 3d games, the areas kind of worked against Sonic's speed because he would reach edges so quickly and break momentum.

I think it might definitely help with the Boosting mechanic.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:47 am Reply with quote
I'm wondering if in the open zone, there are objectives you have to do to unlock stages, similar to Sonic Adventure.
Sariachan wrote:
Because they can't cater to just one group of people. And frankly people who are only/mainly interested in Mega-Drive Sonic are plenty taken care of as is.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:22 am Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:

Although I'd like to see more titles like Sonic Mania the Sonic series should not be limited to a sidescrolling platform game, the core team working on these titles must must continue to improve the quality of the 3D titles. I know people are tired of hearing the same phrases like "Sonic had a rough transition into 3D" but the quality of games like Sonic Forces, Boom and 2006 have not helped to improve that reputation.
Frontiers looks interesting, there have been some fan games that played with the idea of Sonic running in an open-world environment.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
I know people are tired of hearing the same phrases like "Sonic had a rough transition into 3D" but the quality of games like Sonic Forces, Boom and 2006 have not helped to improve that reputation.

Have Sonic Heroes, Colors, and Generations helped transition Sonic into 3D?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:

Sonic Mania good as it was was still a rehash of the same Sonic games that Sega has released habitually since 1996. Unless a sequel is actually going to exclusively use entirely new stages and gimmicks (and use Sonic’s sprite from 3&Knuckles) I’m content with them doing nothing with the games.

And as it with Sonic Origins they’re not dropping a sequel right now anyway.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:28 am Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:

There are a lot of modern/3D-only fans. Plus kids don't seem to be interested in Classic at all.

OjaruFan2 wrote:
Silver Kirin wrote:
I know people are tired of hearing the same phrases like "Sonic had a rough transition into 3D" but the quality of games like Sonic Forces, Boom and 2006 have not helped to improve that reputation.

Heroes is a good game with an unfortunately bad PS2 port. Colours and Generations are also amongst the most well-loved and highly-regraded games in the franchise? Not sure what your point is.

Looks good, honestly. Seems like this might be the game that 06 dreamt of being. I'm pretty excited to do some actual 3D platforming again; the post-Adventure stuff is much too on-rails for me.
Hopefully we're free of the scourge of Classic being shoehorned into modern games too.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Puniyo wrote:
OjaruFan2 wrote:
Silver Kirin wrote:

Heroes is a good game with an unfortunately bad PS2 port. Colours and Generations are also amongst the most well-loved and highly-regraded games in the franchise? Not sure what your point is.

I was asking Silver Kirin, in their personal opinion, have Sonic Heroes, Colors, and Generations (the 3D games that have a positive reception, except for the PS2 port of Heroes) helped transition Sonic into 3D, since they only mentioned the games that contributed to Sonic's rough transition into 3D.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:25 pm Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:

I was asking Silver Kirin, in their personal opinion, have Sonic Heroes, Colors, and Generations (the 3D games that have a positive reception, except for the PS2 port of Heroes) helped transition Sonic into 3D, since they only mentioned the games that contributed to Sonic's rough transition into 3D.

....Ignore me, I read it as sarcasm by accident. Please forgive my hostility, I've been around Sonic fans for too long. Laughing
MarthiosPM980

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:32 am Reply with quote
I hope Sonic Frontier is also available on STEAM because I deleted my EPIC account due to the launcher still running the game after it is being closed and only restarting PC will fix the issue temporarily.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1