• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nihon TV: "Plans" to Air NANA in US

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:21 am Reply with quote
Well, it would certainly be interesting to see who's airing it.

I do hope that YTV grabs this one for Canadian broadcast, though. I always felt it would really suit them well, especially if it got a Vancouver dub.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:36 am Reply with quote
Interesting that this was posted right after the Geneon story. Rolling Eyes Wink
the_silent_child

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:07 am Reply with quote
I wonder if they will bring the live action movie with them...
ryusaki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:29 am Reply with quote
Why do I think Bravo or one of the women's networks? ...
miji

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:37 am Reply with quote
After the manga is released? What does that mean? Is it almost done in Japan? Because if they mean in the States, that will be a long, long time from now Anime smile + sweatdrop . And of course I'm assuming they mean finished it's release because it is already being release in NA.

Anyway, I wonder where they'll air this. I'm guessing Bravo or IFC as well, since it most definitely does not fit for [AS] Razz.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:20 pm Reply with quote
miji wrote:
After the manga is released? What does that mean? Is it almost done in Japan? Because if they mean in the States, that will be a long, long time from now Anime smile + sweatdrop . And of course I'm assuming they mean finished it's release because it is already being release in NA.

Yes, I was curious about this too, since there are NANA volumes out here in the US. Perhaps we could use some elaboration from the staff abou this.
Milarkie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I believe it to be coicidence that this showed up after the Geneon contest. Episode 31 of NANA aired weeks ago in Japan. It feels to me like this is just someone letting everyone else know that it was said because no one had yet to speak on it.
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:03 pm Reply with quote
it will be butchered by somebody. count on it.

never seen it, but thats how anime on US tv today is.
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:41 pm Reply with quote
The Seventh Son wrote:
it will be butchered by somebody. count on it.

never seen it, but thats how anime on US tv today is.

No, that's how anime on US TV was. Don't know where you've been over the last 10 years when these changes were occurring, but today, the overwhelming majority of anime airing on US TV today is left almost if not completely intact. Out of every 15 anime that airs in the US, maybe one will be "butchered," although even that number may be high.

I don't even watch anime on TV, but I wish people would stop complaining about an almost nonexistent problem and give credit where credit is due. The days of every anime being butchered for TV are long gone, and I have no idea why people like to pretend it's still an issue.

Last edited by cardcaptormanda on Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
kushiel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:

I do hope that YTV grabs this one for Canadian broadcast, though. I always felt it would really suit them well, especially if it got a Vancouver dub.

YTV? Never. I admit I've only been keeping up with the manga and not the anime, so I don't know if things are in the anime the same way as in the manga, but spoiler[if the scene where Takumi forces himself on Hachi is in there, nevermind just the fact she's sleeping with two guys, gets pregnant, and is rolling around the ideas of abortion, adoption and keeping it in her head, plus Shin prostituting himself], there's no bloody way YTV will air it. It'd have to be Razer, but I don't know if they'd shell out the cash.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ztarr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:35 pm Reply with quote
kushiel wrote:
Pepperidge wrote:

YTV? Never. I admit I've only been keeping up with the manga and not the anime, so I don't know if things are in the anime the same way as in the manga, but spoiler[if the scene where Takumi forces himself on Hachi is in there, nevermind just the fact she's sleeping with two guys, gets pregnant, and is rolling around the ideas of abortion, adoption and keeping it in her head, plus Shin prostituting himself], there's no bloody way YTV will air it. It'd have to be Razer, but I don't know if they'd shell out the cash.

YTV was supposed to be forming a new canadian channel, exclusively anime, for a more adult audience than YTV. I'm not sure if their application went successfully or not, their are guidelines concerning how much Canadian content a channel needs to broadcast.

PLEASE OH PLEASE AIR NANA IN CANADA!!! I don't care what channel!
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:39 pm Reply with quote
The application for the Anime Channel still hasn't gone through, but I'd rather not see NANA on that station. A show as big of this needs as much exposure as possible, and it would be a bad move to put it on an obscure station.

kushiel wrote:

I take it you're not very familiar with YTV programing? Because none of the concepts you've listed are foreign to the station. They've played far worse over the years.

Last edited by Pepperidge on Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:45 pm Reply with quote
kushiel wrote:

I don't know if things are in the anime the same way as in the manga, but spoiler[if the scene where Takumi forces himself on Hachi is in there, nevermind just the fact she's sleeping with two guys, gets pregnant, and is rolling around the ideas of abortion, adoption and keeping it in her head, plus Shin prostituting himself], there's no bloody way YTV will air it. It'd have to be Razer, but I don't know if they'd shell out the cash.

Those scenes are all in the anime, so far it's been a very accurate adaptation of the manga, though this may eventually have to change, depending on how it is decided to end the anime (I expect the anime to have to come up with its own ending, as anything else would be awkward).

It really isn't much that happens in NANA however that hasn't happened in Degrassi at some point, so I don't imagine that YTV would have any trouble showing it, as long as it was in a later timeslot.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:20 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Interesting that this was posted right after the Geneon story. Rolling Eyes Wink

it's not Nana, trust me on that.
Enjeru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:22 pm Reply with quote
This may be unlikely but I am just throwing it out there, perhaps there was discrepancy in the translation. Maybe what was meant is that the series is close to be licensed, not airing on television. I am having a really hard time thinking of which station would air Nana. There are really only a few stations in the US that would air an anime such as this. Adult Swim, the Anime Network, or the Funimation channel (of course I would think Funi would have to have the license for it for that to happen).
Some would say Spike TV got Afro Samurai, well to be honest Nana really isnt Spike material.
Of course this is all just a thought and only time will tell.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2