• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dragon Quest: Adventure of Dai Anime to Have 100 Episodes

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:04 am Reply with quote
Not surprising, since the first year had 50 episodes and covered roughly half of the manga, but it's good to have confirmation that the 4-week break caused by the Toei hack didn't force them to lower the episode count to 96 and rush through the rest of the story so the show would end in September as originally scheduled.
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:41 am Reply with quote
Great! I wish many classic manga would be so carefully adapted!
SrkSano

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:16 am Reply with quote
Glad to have a number! Definitely my favorite anime right now. The show continues to surprise and amaze me every week, while making me laugh and cry whenever applicable.

It may have started out as just being about Dragon Quest, but there are so many bits and pieces that remind me of other video games and other anime. I'm sure some is intentional and some of it wound up influencing other things since it's a popular manga in Japan.

Whenever I watch an episode I'm transported back to when I was 14 years old on Saturdays watching the 'Dragon Warrior' dub back in 1989 and following it up with Captain N The Game Master. Both shows had the same narrator, Long John Baldry and Captain N used to visit the world of Dragon Warrior so I thought it was all the same thing.

So yeah I kind of get that feeling just watching the Dai anime since it touches upon so many things I like all by itself.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:41 am Reply with quote
So the Manga ran for roughly 350 chapters, and usually an episode of an Anime adapts 2 chapters. That would make for about 175 episodes. So is anything important being cut, or are they trimming off some of the fat?
Rowri8

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:04 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
So the Manga ran for roughly 350 chapters, and usually, an episode of an Anime adapts 2 chapters. That would make for about 175 episodes. So is anything important being cut, or are they trimming off some of the fat?

The manga is very fast-paced and many of the final chapters are just battles with little dialogue. and so far nothing big has been cut. They are adapting around 3-4 chapters per episode given how fast-paced the manga is.

Last edited by Rowri8 on Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Mimas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:38 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
So the Manga ran for roughly 350 chapters, and usually an episode of an Anime adapts 2 chapters. That would make for about 175 episodes. So is anything important being cut, or are they trimming off some of the fat?

It goes at about 3-4 chapters of manga per episode pace. Some lines have been cut or changed, but nothing too major. There have been a number of anime only scenes as well, so I don't think the changes were cuts for time. The most major change was the removal of a subplot with Chiu rescuing monsters from the zombie monster.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:49 am Reply with quote
A clean 100 episode count does my autism good. Really love the show, it has surely been a great adventure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:59 am Reply with quote
Mimas wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

It goes at about 3-4 chapters of manga per episode pace. Some lines have been cut or changed, but nothing too major. There have been a number of anime only scenes as well, so I don't think the changes were cuts for time. The most major change was the removal of a subplot with Chiu rescuing monsters from the zombie monster.

Can you please write what are these chapters? I want to read about it. Thanks!
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:27 am Reply with quote
they cut some of the ecchi stuff ,. it considering. there were like 5 scenes in total, that's pretty irrelevant and only matters to people specifically looking for that stuff,or people's who want to complain about censorship.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:49 am Reply with quote
I suspected that it was going to be 100 episodes based on the pace the manga was being adapted. Hopefully Crunchyroll dubs and releases it on BD.

MarshalBanana wrote:
So is anything important being cut, or are they trimming off some of the fat?

The manga has a bunch of panty shots and even boob shots, and the anime cut all of that and most of the pervy subtext present in the manga. I understand making this new adaptation more family friendly, but I wished they hadn't cut all the ecchi content.
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:15 am Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
I suspected that it was going to be 100 episodes based on the pace the manga was being adapted. Hopefully Crunchyroll dubs and releases it on BD.

MarshalBanana wrote:

The manga has a bunch of panty shots and even boob shots, and the anime cut all of that and most of the pervy subtext present in the manga. I understand making this new adaptation more family friendly, but I wished they hadn't cut all the ecchi content.

I love ecchi as much as the next bisexual woman but Dai is being made for kids, they shouldn't be including that stuff in a show for kids.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:

MarshalBanana wrote:

it is being dubbed in French and Latin Spanish,and is supposedly being dubbed in English in Canada,so i guess it's just a matter of time
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
I suspected that it was going to be 100 episodes based on the pace the manga was being adapted. Hopefully Crunchyroll dubs and releases it on BD

Don't know if CR will dub it into English but recently an anime streaming service in Latin America, Anime Onegai, will dub it into Neutral Spanish, although the whole cast from the original Adventure of Dai/Fly Spanish dub was replaced, many hoped they could bring some of the original cast, considering that many of them are still active. Dai's original voice actress, Marina Huerta, complained on Twitter that they didn't ask her to reprise her role. Coincidenlty the actress voicing Dai now, Claudia Motta, already replaced Marina as Bart Simpson, first from seasons 9 to 15 and then from season 32 onwards.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

I'm guessing the original adaptation didn't remove the ecchi, as that was around the same time as Dragon Ball, and I can see Adventure of Dai having similar ecchi humour to that.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:

On April 22, 2021, SAG-AFTRA announced a refusal to work on a dub for the show citing Ocean Media (and possibly Toei) not respecting voice actors' rights, and any union member that tries to work on it will be punished. We haven't had any news ever since, so I wonder what has changed or if Ocean has made any progress.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2