• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Engage Kiss (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:34 am Reply with quote

Engage Kiss (TV).

Genres: Comedy, Romance
Themes:

Plot Summary:
Quote:
Bayron City is a Mega-Float type city in the Pacific Ocean, which doesn't belong to any particular nation. As the mine for Orgonium, a new energy resource, this city is the most noticed in the world right now, and here special cases caused by demons called "D Hazards" has been occurring frequently. Only a handful of people know about the existence of D Hazards. They are handled by Private Military Companies. Shu is a young man living in Bayron City who runs such a company, but his company is tiny. His life, both publicly and privately, is being supported by the beautiful high school girl Kisara who attends a school in Bayron City. At the root of Kisara's strong attachment to Shu is a contract signed between them. Her true identity is a demon. Kisara supports Shu's lifestyle, and even assists his demon extermination based on their contract. The price is a dangerously sweet kiss. Their uncertain bond teeters between love and contract.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

It looked good. But dang if the main character is weirdly unlikable, as someone who is a deadbeat and seeming parasite to those around him. Even his undercutting of the other people by putting his rate to do the job seemed shitty, by means that he is pretty much making it unprofitable, and still in the end still caused collateral damage that spoiled it.

I don't know if he is meant to be intriguingly independent for not doing things like others, because he is clearly not independent. And kind of came across as frustratingly irresponsible.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Ep. 2

Attempted assassination of a politician giving a speech. I'm stunned that they aired this, this weekend. WTH was the Teppen! episode about that a Manzai comedy show couldn't air their show but this did?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:05 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Ep. 2

Attempted assassination of a politician giving a speech. I'm stunned that they aired this, this weekend. WTH was the Teppen! episode about that a Manzai comedy show couldn't air their show but this did?

My only guess would be the setting since the assassin in this case is a demon-possessed human in a very fictionalized future version of the world that isn't based in reality. I know it's a stretch, but that's the only thing that I can come up with.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:39 pm Reply with quote
With luck, by the time Kisara finishes sucking out all of Shu's memories of Ayano, she'll be obsessed with her instead and kick him to the curb.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Laughing A sudden yuri switch would be alright by me. We still haven't seen how Shu and Kisara met have we? I actually have to ask because my memory is so bad it's possible the obligatory flash back has already been shown and I've simply forgotten it. I wonder if I made a contract with a memory eating demon... hmmm....
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 (finale)

In a final rundown of the season. Shu lost all his memories, got them sucked out, but then Kisara gave back all his memories including what she had left of her own as she had actually been burning up her own memories. Then they fight against Shu's sister, who was possessed by a demon (I think Lilith), who was actually the sister's mother and had replaced Shu's real mother, who was going to use the sister to open a gate to hell, as to release demons for evil demon reasons.

And I will say the end got me a little uncomfortable when Shu was making the moves on the born yesterday Kisara (mind wipe). And then they just throw in Shu's sister having broken out, and now just acts as a third side of women possessive over Shu, now able to act like a normal person not locked away since 3 years old, and Kisara acts just like she did before. I don't know, I just really was not entertained by that although maybe nice that some characters can be happy.

You know, I might be happy about this of this show, like its sexuality, but that would only be if Shu was not such a turnoff of a main character, to be certain he isn't just a loser by circumstance he does gamble away money at pachinko. And also that one of his main love interests is a high school girl that financially supports him, which is made an innocent amnesiac at towards the end. As mentioned above, there might have been something interesting if she gained his feelings for his other squeeze as she gained those memories. As weird as that all sounds,

I don't know what to think of this show, I am weirdly backwards and forwards at getting a full thought about it. Maybe something worth mentioning is I think something interesting was the sort of wacky delivery service, where he could spend a lot of money to get something there quickly. But looking at the big picture, that part kind of sticks out like a sore thumb in comparison to the rest of the tone of the series. Kind of makes me think that they perhaps could have leaned into that more, where their society has a bunch of similar wacky capitalist parts, with how that would connect to people selling their souls to demons. There might have been something there if it wanted to do something about economic inequality.

In some ways it wasn't that bad, such that it could look nice and stuff, but just the bits like its direction hurt the parts that were okay, such that being less than the sum of its parts. My rating will be So-so (5/10). Arguably it did catch my attention, but not in a way that I would want to say decent.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:06 am Reply with quote
Delivery girl is best girl.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1