×
  • remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: AI: The Somnium Files Creator Has Some Profound Thoughts on Gender Identity


Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
CelticMutt



Joined: 24 Sep 2021
Posts: 17
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:33 pm Reply with quote
It was amazing watching Uchikoshi dunk on idiot bigoted weebs who have fetishized the idea of Japan as a monolithic nation that has forced out all non-conformists that make the bigots uncomfortable.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OtomeGay



Joined: 14 Oct 2021
Posts: 26
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:35 pm Reply with quote
What a cool guy! I was waiting for the right time to pick up AI: The Somnium Files, and now seems perfect!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings



Joined: 04 Jul 2013
Posts: 953
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:37 pm Reply with quote
The game itself (the sequel, not the original which I hold dear) was one hell of a disappointment but Uchikoshi himself remains quite based. I'm happy with that

Jessica Hart wrote:
I can see why the game flopped now.


I'm curious what your definition of "flopped" is, because the game sold within the expected parameters and even got a sequel. I can assure you the people it concerns do not care that it didn't sell like hotcakes, and the fans don't either


Last edited by ThatGuyWhoLikesThings on Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MagicPolly



Joined: 26 Nov 2020
Posts: 1015
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Uchikoshi woke up and chose violence that day, good for him
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wolf10



Joined: 23 Jan 2016
Posts: 801
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm privately chuckling at the idea of a non-binary AI (programmer joke!), but on a more serious note, agender is under that particular umbrella, so it's not incorrect.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Touma55



Joined: 22 May 2021
Posts: 157
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Jessica Hart wrote:
I can see why the game flopped now.


Just like the first one. Nobody in Japan cares about these games. The fact that these games only sell in the west almost makes me wonder how much he even cares about the LGBTQ+ community and how much he is just trying to get more sales.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JoelBurger



Joined: 14 Oct 2011
Posts: 274
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Touma55 wrote:
Jessica Hart wrote:
I can see why the game flopped now.


Just like the first one. Nobody in Japan cares about these games. The fact that these games only sell in the west almost makes me wonder how much he even cares about the LGBTQ+ community and how much he is just trying to get more sales.


Or he just has genuine beliefs and is able to articulately express them to bigots whose best attempts at expression are "attack helicopter". Crazy I know.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings



Joined: 04 Jul 2013
Posts: 953
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Touma55 wrote:
Jessica Hart wrote:
I can see why the game flopped now.


Just like the first one. Nobody in Japan cares about these games. The fact that these games only sell in the west almost makes me wonder how much he even cares about the LGBTQ+ community and how much he is just trying to get more sales.


I can see how someone could think this if those elements were marketed beforehand (they'd be wrong, but I get it), but you would only know about them if you played the game, and several are rather sizable spoilers only revealed late into the story that most fans wouldn't talk about openly to non-fans. So.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Touma55



Joined: 22 May 2021
Posts: 157
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:51 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
Or he just has genuine beliefs and is able to articulately express them to bigots whose best attempts at expression are "attack helicopter". Crazy I know.


Yeah sorry I see way too many people and companies that are just trying to virtue single. They don't all genuinely care about us you know. Forgive me for being skeptical.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BonusStage



Joined: 24 Oct 2011
Posts: 306
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:55 pm Reply with quote
CelticMutt wrote:
It was amazing watching Uchikoshi dunk on idiot bigoted weebs who have fetishized the idea of Japan as a monolithic nation that has forced out all non-conformists that make the bigots uncomfortable.


Generalizations are not proven wrong by the existence of a handful of exceptions. I think the fact these games sold so poorly in Japan and only found some form of niche success in the English speaking community should indicate that much. As a general rule when a Japanese creator mainly communicates with the English fandom that alone should showcase that the contents in their work are not widely appealing to the average Japanese gamer, much like when the anime director for Stars Align's asked the English speaking fanbase to support his show and save it rather than the Japanese fanbase which presumably was non-existent. People often say things like feminist groups and LGBT activists exist in Japan too, but that always missed the point. Yes, they do exist in Japan but they hold almost no power or influence like in American media.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JoelBurger



Joined: 14 Oct 2011
Posts: 274
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Touma55 wrote:
JoelBurger wrote:
Touma55 wrote:
Jessica Hart wrote:
I can see why the game flopped now.


Just like the first one. Nobody in Japan cares about these games. The fact that these games only sell in the west almost makes me wonder how much he even cares about the LGBTQ+ community and how much he is just trying to get more sales.


Or he just has genuine beliefs and is able to articulately express them to bigots whose best attempts at expression are "attack helicopter". Crazy I know.


Yeah sorry I see way too many people and companies that are just trying to virtue single. They don't all genuinely care about us you know. Forgive me for being skeptical.


Uchikoshi isn't a company, and this isn't something new. He included LGBTQ+ affirmative stuff in AI three years ago, and his response to people complaining about it was literally doubling the amount of times Mizuki goes on a monologue about it. Skepticism at this point is not warranted in the slightest, and more a sign of what you want to believe (that anybody expressing love and care for oppressed peoples as "virtue signalers") than anything about Uchikoshi or anybody else.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FunkyDude88



Joined: 01 Oct 2021
Posts: 108
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Why is it always the the people in any given industry with the least amount of success who have the biggest mouths and preach the most? Trying to prove something, I guess? There should be a term for creators who spend more time on Twitter "dunking" on critics than actually doing work. The people who get more likes on a hot take tweet than they got sales for their work. Gail Simone Syndrome, perhaps?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JoelBurger



Joined: 14 Oct 2011
Posts: 274
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Touma55 wrote:
I said people too not just companies. The fact that he doubled the amount just makes me believe it even more. And don't hit me with that bullshit about anybody expressing love and care. People fake that shit ALL OF THE TIME! Believe me I know! Maybe everyone you have interacted with is genuine but that sure as hell hasn't been my experience.


Hence why I included the part about this being nothing new for Uchikoshi. The only "bullshit" here is your personal decision to think that any outpouring of support must be fake, which is one of two things: an absolutely depressing way to live, or a way to obfuscate your own hate by veiling any support as somehow "wrong".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Touma55



Joined: 22 May 2021
Posts: 157
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:20 pm Reply with quote
JoelBurger wrote:
Touma55 wrote:
I said people too not just companies. The fact that he doubled the amount just makes me believe it even more. And don't hit me with that bullshit about anybody expressing love and care. People fake that shit ALL OF THE TIME! Believe me I know! Maybe everyone you have interacted with is genuine but that sure as hell hasn't been my experience.


Hence why I included the part about this being nothing new for Uchikoshi. The only "bullshit" here is your personal decision to think that any outpouring of support must be fake, which is one of two things: an absolutely depressing way to live, or a way to obfuscate your own hate by veiling any support as somehow "wrong".


You say nothing new, but having it in one previous game not long ago doesn't mean much. And I didn't say I thought it was 100% fake I said I was skeptical which I think it is prefectly fine to be. I'm guessing you haven't been treated poorly for being a part of the community have you? If you have then I don't know how you are so quick to believe some of these people especially ones trying to sell you something.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings



Joined: 04 Jul 2013
Posts: 953
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:25 pm Reply with quote
FunkyDude88 wrote:
Why is it always the the people in any given industry with the least amount of success who have the biggest mouths and preach the most? Trying to prove something, I guess? There should be a term for creators who spend more time on Twitter "dunking" on critics than actually doing work. The people who get more likes on a hot take tweet than they got sales for their work. Gail Simone Syndrome, perhaps?


If a bigot goes out of their way to confront a creator about including progressive themes or elements in their story and shame them for doing so, and they get "dunked" on, that is their own fault and nothing else, to say nothing of the fact that Uckihoshi was about as polite as he could possibly be.

Also I can tell you have no idea who this article is about because if you did, you would know Uchikoshi has been working on a number of projects these last several years, so no, he isn't sacrificing any time on his work for this

Also, FYI, I know for a fact that you and several others here wouldn't be saying anything about "preaching" if this man was pushing right-wing views instead of leftist ones.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group