• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Can Detective Conan Newbies Enjoy Zero's Tea Time?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lann

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:25 pm Reply with quote
this short anime was a waste of time. The guy literally did nothing. that's the show folks!
db999

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:36 pm Reply with quote
As a fan of Detective Conan I really liked this spinoff, for many of the same reasons that were mentioned in the column, it’s light it’s breezy, and doesn’t take too much time to watch. I also thought the production values were quite solid, and pretty much on par with how the main series looks. But I’m mostly writing this comment to try and get people into watching the show. If anyone else watched this show without having seen the main series and ended up liking it I would suggest trying to watch the main show, it’s not quite as difficult to get into as it might seem.

Sure while there are technically 1059 episodes around 40% of that is filler, and even amongst the content actually adapting the manga there is still a bunch of filler. If you only want to watch the essential episodes related to the main plot there are episode guides for that, that cut’s down the episode count to around 400-450 episodes, and even that can be broken down further if you don’t care about certain subplots. I know that’s still a lot of episodes, but one thing that I think helps is that the show is mostly episodic and usually stories will never last longer than 3-5 episodes. I think that helps because it means it doesn’t have the same type of pacing problems that other long running shonen anime, like Naruto and One Piece have. Don't get me wrong there are still pacing problems with regards to how slow the main Black Organization plot can be, but usually the individual arcs and episodes tied to it are usually well paced. Also the movies devote the first 5 or so minutes to recapping the plot of the series and introducing the characters that are going to be relevant in the movie so you could also watch one of the recent ones and start with the currently airing episodes.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I would advise against anyone skipping "filler" myself. If people are defining filler as being anything not Black Organization related then they're missing the point of the series. It's about the characters and the mysteries. You're supposed to be invested in Conan and Kaito's rivalry, the Polcie Department love drama, the Heiji and Kazuha love affair, and all the other characters that pop up over the years. Even as far as anime-only filler goes, the fact characters like Shiratori were introduced in the anime and later brought into the manga and made actual canon characters Gosho started writing for means even the anime-only stuff is still canon.

Lann wrote:
this short anime was a waste of time. The guy literally did nothing. that's the show folks!

The point was for fans to see more Amuro. So mission successful there. I'm sure the fangirls are happy with it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:21 am Reply with quote
Amuro was already probably my favorite Conan character, so this entire spinoff was a delight for me. I'm pretty lost these days with the Black Org. storyline as far as remembering what we've learned over the decades and what mysteries are still extant, as well as who knows about who and and who doesn't, and all their relationships. It's all been spread out so long timewise that without a score card, it's impossible to keep up. But that's fine. I just enjoy the stories as they come, or not.

Getting all of Amuro's ducks lined up in one place though was very helpful! They need to do this with a few of their other major players.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:39 am Reply with quote
I have been a case closed fan for almost 20 years.... I go to a lot of anime conventions in the usa with merchandise for the series ...and this guy has always been bottom tier in terms of popularity.

Personally I had never understood why he got such a huge push in japan. I will say this much, this show did actively make me like him a lot more. Something is always a lot more then nothing, but at the very least this allowed him to breathe a lot more, and come across as much more genuine and less calculated then he does in conan proper.

If you want to catch up or start on the series, here is a great list of what episodes to watch that cuts down on the anime original and pure filler cases. Less then 500 half hour episodes is a lot easier to handle and get through then (including the spin offs and movies) 1100 episodes that the anime has come to encompasses.
https://www.xerblade.com/p/detective-conan-important-episode-list.html?m=0
musouka

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:56 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Personally I had never understood why he got such a huge push in japan.

It's pretty simple. In Detective Conan, most of the time good guys are good and bad guys are bad. (I'm not saying that to look down on the series, I've been a fan for about 25 years myself)

Amuro is a rare exception to that, because he started off being written as a bad guy and then was gradually shifted over to the hero side. Because of that shift, there's a measure of ambiguity to his actions that just isn't there for others. He's willing to go further than other "good characters" to pursue his goals and will even let his emotions get the better of him--to the point of attempted murder-by-proxy--if you hit certain sore spots in his past.

I'm not actually a huge fan of Zero's Tea Time, but that's because I've never been a fan of Amuro the super triple face secret agent. I like the guy that does stupid shit because he's pissed off or will attempt to manipulate our protagonist because he finds that easier than trying to honestly ask for his help. However, that guy probably doesn't make for a light, comedic series of shorts, so I understand why Zero's Tea Time exists.
GasterTheGreat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:09 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
I have been a case closed fan for almost 20 years.... I go to a lot of anime conventions in the usa with merchandise for the series ...and this guy has always been bottom tier in terms of popularity.

In America perhaps, but Amuro is pretty huge in the Japanese fandom. He gets a lot of merchandise over there from what I've noticed. Although I'm not sure how popular Conan is in America to begin with.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:36 am Reply with quote
Lann wrote:

I think you're thinking of Genta.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I feel like the headline question wasn't answered very clearly. Should a non fan watch this series? I have no attachment to the characters but the premise seems like a fun way to spend 90 minutes
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:47 am Reply with quote
Sure! Even if it turns out you don't like it after an ep or two, you haven't lost much. I don't think you'll feel like you're lost or anything, though you may not get a few of the jokes or references to the main series. If you're not going in with big expectations, I think you'll have fun.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I get one guess for the name of the dog?

Well.... I don't know about NOW, but it's probably for the best that he escaped from Excel.

And while I know that you guys being just a bit younger than me means you probably didn't catch the show in its G4 days, but I'm a bit stunned you didn't realize they weren't spoofing AMERICAN Ninja Warrior. Sasuke (Ninja Warrior) has been airing in Japan for 25 years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1