• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Urusei Yatsura (TV 2022).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:52 pm Reply with quote

Season 01: Urusei Yatsura (TV 2022)
Season 02: Urusei Tatsura (TV 2024)

Source: Manga (completed @ 34 volumes, by Rumiko Takahashi)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: David Production

Genres: action, comedy, romance, science fiction

Themes: absurdity, aliens, ecchi, non-linear narrative, school, segments, slapstick

Plot Summary: When aliens decide to invade Earth, Ataru Moroboshi is randomly selected to defend his planet by playing a game of the aliens' national sport, tag. Should he win, the world shall be saved.

However, Ataru is motivated for far less noble reasons, as the one he plays against is revealed to be the curvaceous alien princess, Lum. The game goes for 10 days, and on the last day, Ataru, motivated by his girlfriend assuring him marriage (and consequently, a marriage night one can assume) should he win, finally catches Lum.

However, with his victory he gives a cry of joy for his coming marriage, which is misinterpreted by Lum to be a marriage proposal. She promptly agrees, beginning the two's "marriage" together.

Air Date & Platform:
Season 01: October 13, 2022 (Thursday)
Available on: HIDIVE

Season 02: January 11, 2024 (Thursday)
Available on: HIDIVE

Episode Count / Runtime:
Season 01: 23 episodes
Season 02: 23 episodes

Total: 46 episodes
----------------------------------

With Yasha-hime sort of continuing the spirit of InuYasha, we've got another Rumiko Takahashi revival in the form of this new Urusei Yatsura. I'm a big fan of how David Production has adapted Jojo's, so I'm interested to see how they'll handle something more on the wacky-funny side, rather than wacky-violent.

Who knows, if this creates enough buzz, David or some other studios might create a Takahashi renaissance and redo Ranma or Maison Ikkoku.

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:19 pm; edited 9 times in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:11 pm Reply with quote
This is my first exposure to UY and I'm basically enjoying it. I'm a huge Rumiko Takahashi fan so watching this is a must for me. The humour definitely feels dated and right now I find Ataru kind of annoying. Not sure how long I'll be able to watch him get electrocuted without getting bored of the schtick, but we'll see. Takahashi is great at creating fun secondary characters so I suspect that will take some of the load. The show looks absolutely fantastic.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:27 am Reply with quote
@Blood-

Ataru is supposed to be annoying. He is a bit sympathetic when he is getting the dirty end of the stick, but he can be a real butthole when he thinks he has the upper hand (usually incorrectly). What Takahashi does in this series is throw a lot of weird characters into the mix and watch them bounce against each other. Think Animal House.

As the series goes on, Lum becomes the most sympathetic character, but remains steadfast to Ataru in spite of his personality. Soon you will start seeing Lum's friends. They are supposed to be aliens but are right out of Japanese mythology.

Hop on, we aren't going anywhere, but it will be a hell of a ride.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:03 am Reply with quote
Heck, there's even a few instances when Ataru performs acts of genuine kindness!
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:43 am Reply with quote
In the manga, (Viz has 30 of 34 volumes out currently) both Sakura the priestess and her uncle Cherry the monk are long term recurring characters. Note the similar names. According to a footnote in Viz's first publication of the manga, an alternative reading of the characters of Cherry's name is something like incompetent monk. I'm not sure how you could translate that to English though.

I always thought it was touching how happy it made Lum to receive a present from Ataru (the yellow ribbons).
Beltane70

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
In the manga, (Viz has 30 of 34 volumes out currently) both Sakura the priestess and her uncle Cherry the monk are long term recurring characters. Note the similar names. According to a footnote in Viz's first publication of the manga, an alternative reading of the characters of Cherry's name is something like incompetent monk. I'm not sure how you could translate that to English though.

It's even better than that. The kanji used to write Cherry's name translates to "deranged monk", which I think more accurately describes Cherry.

I'm finding it interesting that this new version is changing the order in which some characters are introduced. In both the original manga and first anime, a couple of characters are introduced before Mendou show up, where this new version has him being introduced first.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:41 am Reply with quote
There seems to be a wildly inconsistent element to Ataru's characterization. It's been firmly established that he's a horndog, right? So why does he not have any interest in Lum, who is a hottie? I mean, I get him being annoyed at getting electrocuted, of course, but you'd think he'd occasionally be attracted to her babeness. Urusei Yatsura, I ACCUSE you of a logical inconsistency!
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:19 am Reply with quote
@Beltane70

You are probably right. I haven't looked at that comic issue in years. Deranged certainly fits.

@Blood-

You say that like it is a bad thing. Wink Logical consistency has nothing to do with Urusei Yatsura.

If you really need an explanation: Hunting dogs hunt. Horn dogs hunt for, well ... They don't want what is available, they want what they have to hunt down.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:45 am Reply with quote
You could be right, Alan45. In any case, for me it's simply one more strike against baka Ataru. Look, Shinobu is kind of cute, but how can he not appreciate that bikini'd alien fineness??? I'm offended on Lum's behalf.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:50 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
There seems to be a wildly inconsistent element to Ataru's characterization. It's been firmly established that he's a horndog, right? So why does he not have any interest in Lum, who is a hottie? I mean, I get him being annoyed at getting electrocuted, of course, but you'd think he'd occasionally be attracted to her babeness. Urusei Yatsura, I ACCUSE you of a logical inconsistency!

Ataru doesn't want just one hottie, he wants ALL the hotties! Plus, it's been well established that Ataru is also a complete idiot, so there really isn't that much of a logical inconsistency when you factor that in. spoiler[There's actually quite a few moments that haven't come up yet that shows that Ataru actually does care about her, not that he'll readily admit it!]
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:26 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-

There is another possibility to consider. Lum lives in Ataru's bedroom in the futon closet. She has stated that by oni law they are married and she considers him her husband. For most married couples, what happens in the bedroom stays in the bedroom. We only get to see them there when they are bickering. Who knows what happens on the nights we are not there. For all we can tell, they may be working a couple out most nights. Shocked Shocked
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:12 am Reply with quote
"Something concealed in the cavern is revealed when Lum uses her powers to light the way after they get lost.

"And by the looks of it, we're getting another alien character in the next episode (of course).

"But at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they started introducing robots and androids, next, either. Hopefully ratings and feedback will make this reboot go on for more than the planned 48 episodes. It's a super fun show."
----------------------------------

Lum's uncanny ability to accidentally find any oddball thing is quite the running joke. Basically, every crazy thing in the universe is attracted to her. Laughing

I'm liking the show quite a bit so far. The characters are well written and very funny. And the high production values don't hurt. It's a very pretty show.

Hopefully, they pull off a minor miracle and keep it this good for both seasons. I'm looking forward to the attempt.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:21 am Reply with quote
Ep 27, "Love Thief", first half. Kurama demands her staff of crow bums get off their lazy behinds and find her a studmuffin, and they come up with Ran's boyfriend Rei. Ran drags in Lum, so naturally Atari and Mendou show up and craziness follows. Pretty darn funny; in my humble opinion this ep is the equal of the 80's show. Surprising, given that this is a 15 minute ep.

"That Mizunokoji Girl", second half. Ton's sister makes her appearance. Menou's parents want an arraigned marriage. He's against it in a pretty funny "discussion" with his dad, right until he hears that she's cute (typical Mendou). Not quite as good as the first half, but ok so far.

This was the first really good ep of this season of UY for me. Hopefully the rest of the season makes it to this level.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1