• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANY realistic anime about military action, unlike Full Metal Panic, Black Lagoon, etc

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:21 am Reply with quote
Hi,

I started to watch Full Metal Panic anime, and the way how absurdly awful it is in terms of displaying military action, has made me wonder if there is any anime at all that is actually doing it good?

You know, where eight-year-old boys that weigh twenty-five kilograms are not using an AK-47, weighing nearly four kilograms, with no recoil.

Where supposed military "professionals" do not come out of buildings standing up in their full heights through the door while using their automatic rifles from their waist.

Where soldiers and officers do not engage in useless chit-chat and are not in hysteria on any occasion.

The same goes for anime Black Lagoon and probably all others I watched.

It goes also for "scientific" fiction shows like Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online. Or all of the idiocy of Gundam, too, right from the very beginning where a lad finds an unlocked machine that starts without a proper ID check, let alone the obvious pointlessness of the humanoid form as well as a manned control for even the most futuristic military applications.

Literally almost every moment of combat in the aforementioned anime is ridiculous, stupid beyond recovery. I barely even saw those scenes due to permanent facepalming.

Thanks in advance.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:20 pm Reply with quote
It has been a while since I watched but maybe GATE will satisfy your criteria? Last I recall, it showed measured military responses to certain situations and though the political arguments of the show can be a bit weak, they were passable for me.

Are you also looking just for realistic handling of weapons/military tactics or perhaps political responses to using the military?
Key

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, GATE is one of the better series out there for realistic military action, even with its fantasy elements mixed in.

86 also does pretty well on this, especially in its realistic portrayal of armament use.

Others well-grounded on this front include Zipang and maybe Flag. On the pure sci fi front, Starship Operators might meet your standards in terms of ship-to-ship combat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:44 am Reply with quote
There's also Jormungand which focuses on arms dealing. Again, it has been a few years so I can't remember how accurately they depict gunfire or battle. I'm neither a gun enthusiast nor expert so I wouldn't be able to make much of a judgment on that. The only criteria I really remember it may check with your list is not having useless chitchat or hysteria.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:55 am Reply with quote
From what I can remember, Jormungand was more like The Expendables. A bunch of bad asses taking on armies of grunts by themselves.

GATE is the one that came to my mind though it's really just about modern military moving down bunch of medieval era troops and it's more focused on masturbatory portrayal of the Japanese military rather than being strictly realistic. Like that anime portrays Japanese special forces as being far more skilled than American and Russian special forces.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:59 am Reply with quote
@MaxSouth

I think you were a bit hard on Black Lagoon. The action sequences were clearly based on Hong Kong action movies. They were not intended to be even close to realistic.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:55 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the recommendations.

1. I did watch Gate (but I watched so many titles that I forgot about it; I have poor memory). It was not perfect in terms of displaying military action, but it was noticeably better than FMP;

2. I did watch Jormungand, but I also forgot about it in terms of military action. The first season of the anime was excellent, but the second one was significantly worse;

3. I did watch Flag, but the military activities there are not realistic, sadly. Though it is a rare anime in other aspects, so it is worthy to watch, even if you are not going to like it;

4. I did not watch 86, Zipang and Starship Operators, but I will now move them to the closer queue position to watch;

@EmbraceMe:

I am mostly looking for anime where people act rationally. It actually about all genres of anime, but in the scope of the question it is specifically about military combat.

@Alan45:

Well, we could say that all anime are not intended to be realistic. Strictly speaking, documentaries are meant for that, though even there authors easily deceive viewers and go with the propaganda narratives of their governments about how "bad" parties were acting stupid and cowardly, while "good" ones were smart and heroic.

But the question is whether any anime at all exists that is not depicting military personnel as idiots. I would respect it in a comedy/parody, but not when anime is serious about this like in FMP (which would greatly benefit, if its all seasons were like Fumoffu).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1