• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Meiji Gekken: 1874 (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:59 pm Reply with quote

Meiji Gekken: 1874 (TV)

Source: Original

Demographic:

Animation Studio: Tsumugi Akita Anime Lab

Genres: action, drama

Themes: crime, gangs, historical, Meiji era, police, samurai, swordplay

Plot Summary: In 1874, it's been seven years since the start of the Meiji Era, and the Japanese government is pushing its policies to catch up with the might of the Western nations. Former Aizu retainer Shizuma Origasa has thrown away his sword and gotten rid of his topknot and is now a rickshaw driver in Tokyo, but his swordsmanship skills from the Boshin War are still alive and well.

He is looking for his wife, Sumie Kanomata, who went missing during the Boshin War. Shizuma is recruited into the police force after he ends up thwarting the assassination attempt of a government official. At the same time, Kyōshirō Shuragami is a talented one-eyed swordsman who is a member of the Moriya-gumi yakuza gang that is embroiled in a turf war in Tokyo.

The Moriya-gumi are working with wealthy merchants in the trafficking of opium, and the profits are being paid to a mastermind plotting to overthrow the government to return Japan to a place for samurai.

Air Date & Platform:
January 14, 2024 (Sunday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 10 episodes
----------------------------------

Always up for historical Japanese period pieces. Consider me interested.

Last edited by Tony K. on Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

A straight up Meiji Restoration era action/crime-drama, nothing fancy, meat & potatoes. I dig it. I love these historical shows. Samurais theoretically no longer exist but clearly there will be plenty of sword and knife play to go along with "modern" weapons of the late 1800s. Cool.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I was on board until "Store Brand Revengers" showed up.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Ya know... when White-Haired Eye Patch smiled crookedly and said, "I would have preferred not to but... I may have to make it rain blood" I don't entirely believe him. I think he very much prefers to make it rain blood. Ah, but perhaps I'm being to cynical??? Yeah so this show is about as subtle as a hoof to the nads, but that's fine by me. Bring on the highly nuanced and carefully rendered political maneuvering... er, I mean, bring on the ass-kicking!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1