• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(A) Salad Bowl of Eccentrics (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:25 pm Reply with quote

(A) Salad Bowl of Eccentrics (TV)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing & 6 volumes, written by Yomi Hirasaka, illustrated by Kantoku)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: Studio Comet, SynergySP

Genres: comedy, fantasy, slice of life

Themes: ecchi, isekai, sorcery

Plot Summary: Sōsuke Kaburaya is a poor detective who, while tailing someone one day, meets Sara Da Odin, a princess from another world with magical powers. They gradually start living together, and Sara is able to familiarize herself with modern day Japan in a flash. A female knight from Sara's world named Livia Do Udis also comes to this world, and lives the life of a homeless person, but she finds herself unexpectedly enjoying her new life.

The story follows Sōsuke, these two strong-willed and positive women from another world, as well as other eccentric characters such as a brutish lawyer, a religious leader, and a divorce agent.

Air Date & Platform:
April 4, 2024 (Thursday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending
----------------------------------

A little bit of guessing on my part for the genres and themes based on the summary. It does sound pretty quirky, though.

Last edited by Tony K. on Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so I read the premise, and I was like, "This could be okay if it's quirky."

Then I saw the 12 year old looking female lead on the illustration with a grown up male, and I was like, "Oh #$%@!. Why?" But I gave the episode a shot.

And it turns out, the anime has more of a Hinamatsuri vibe (A yakuza adopts a psychic stray) than an If it's for My Daughter, I'd Even Fight a Demon Lord feeling. Unless I miss my guess, those other females on the cover art are also magical visitors and friends of the princess, which really does give it a Hinamatsuri feeling if true. The bodyguard falling in with a homeless guy also parallels one of the storylines of that series.

Presumably the other magic girls showing up will be the eccentrics plural.

And it was an okay anime. The idea of a slightly deranged magic girl wanting to live out Detective Conan fantasies that she acquired from our world's manga and using some poor, down on his luck sap as her landlord has some potential. And I think I've mentioned before that watching anime for ten years has done something to my moral scale, because when there was some fan service with the princess's bodyguard, my immediate reaction was, "Oh, thank God, she's 20!"

I didn't laugh out loud, but I wasn't bored either, and I'm willing to like the characters more. I don't know if I'll stick with it, but I'll give this one some room to grow on me.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the show setting up the premise so smoothly and the characters having some decent banter made for a good start. I am actually looking forward to the adventures of our detective duo and lots of other otherworld eccentrics showing up will probably make for some fun times.
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Otaku Elf vibes, I dont think it will hit that level but it lessens the pain left by its absence.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:41 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I enjoyed that. I am thankful the show isn't going with the "sweet & sour" approach with the two leads... you know, the set-up where a sweet, cute girl is paired with a grumpy dude. The humour worked for me and I appreciated that we saw some of the mechanics behind isekai, i.e. how the otherworlders got here, speculation that a spell was cast that allows them to understand Japanese, etc. A definite candidate for going the distance out of the gate.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:38 am Reply with quote
Some weird pacing aside the second episode was fun. We had miss knight changing job class like five times (though with her skills making money should actually be easy) and we had some rather intense ''gardening''.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Continues to be a pleasant surprise for me. Probably helps that I have a soft spot for earnest lady knight characters. I also tend to like loli-babas (adult women who look like kids). So far, the episodes are going down easy.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:55 am Reply with quote
The comedic contrast between a shrewd, cynical adolescent princess who would have stereotypically lived a sheltered life and a sweet, naive, earnest bodyguard who presumably went through hellish training to become a battle machine is kind of nice.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

I'm surprised - but not unhappy about - the fact that so far the focus has been on Lady Knight Livia as opposed to Princess Sara. Loved Livia encountering a cult. Sara will be getting her turn in the sun with a school setting, apparently. This is definitely one of the Pleasant Surprises of the season for me.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Welp, I still thought the series was fun even without Livia this week. Nothing intense or complex, but a good time. The bullying thing didn't get much in the way of resolution, but I preferred this to the treatment of bullying in Bottom Tier Character Tomozaki.

I found the female friend and former junior from the MC's old detective agency kind of terrifying once I heard his description of her trained persona.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

An oddly structured episode. First half is standard detective work involving a bullying case and then the second half is expository around how Sara and Livia actually come from an Alternate History Japan. And clearly an AHJ that isn't big on handing out Japanese names. No doubt all part of Alternate History Nobunaga's nefarious influence. I hope the show doesn't plan to keep Sara and Livia apart for the whole run. I'd really like to see them interact along with Detective Sheerluck.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1