• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vampire Dormitory (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:12 pm Reply with quote

Vampire Dormitory (TV)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 13 volumes, by Ema Tōyama)

Demographic: Shoujo

Animation Studio: Studio Blanc

Genres: drama, romance, supernatural

Themes: crossdressing, school, vampires

Plot Summary: Mito, who has no family to rely on, lives on the streets, disguised as a boy. Ruka, a vampire, saves her from a perilous situation and makes her an offer: become his subservient thrall from which he can feed whenever he wants, and she can live with him—in the boys’ dorm. Because her very existence depends on her secret not being found out, every day is a new danger.

Air Date & Platform:
April 7, 2024 (Sunday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I was thinking that the main thing this show had was that it had a pretty boy involved in all the sensual vampire stuff, that I guess it could be something different I could get into. Even if he sounds particularly girly. But then at the last moment it is revealed that they are a girl.

I suddenly felt the inverse of that thing where certain people complaining about adding "gay stuff" into their straight media. Why are they adding straight stuff into the perfectly gay media? Pretty sure it is not some identifying thing either.

I guess it is still gay by the fact there is a bunch of girls apparently attracted to her crossdressing? I suppose some crossdressing could be okay. Maybe if it like ups the camp value. Reading the reviews made me think it could possibly be elevated if an English dub hammed up performances and gave her a more boyish voice.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:12 am Reply with quote
I kind of enjoyed this. It seems like the show isn't going the route of the vampire being a cruel, cold-hearted bastard who will slowly fall under the spell of the helpless thrall. It's more like the vampire is all, "eww, girls are icky" but he isn't into inflicting pain or fear. I'll give this the 3 episode probation period.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:14 am Reply with quote
Ewww, I already have too many anime to watch as is, so this seems like an early cut for me. Not bad by any means yet also no strong interest to see more.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying this. It's not doing anything particularly special but I'm digging it. Also surprised that so far, nobody is turning out to be a major a-hole. All the dudes are pretty likeable. I mean, they're all dense for not realizing that Mito is a chick because DAMN she is so girly, but whatevs...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Man, I thought this was going to be like Vampire Knight or something where everybody at school is vamps. But it's just Ruka and his butler/employer (and is that an odd relationship)? Unless the brunette bad boy/love rival is wrong and he's the only non-vampire and out of the loop.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

I am still trying to figure out if this show is at least a little gay, or some element of a little homophobic for maybe implying the attracting/love is only there because she is a girl, or maybe even transphobic in some sort of essentialism of gender assigned at birth,

All the same I do want to enjoy, with me personally getting more joy from her in boy mode and getting all the flirty stuff.

Also, before I forget, the meme that keeps popping into my head.

I too had some of those "why am I getting funny feelings" from a cute guy like I would with some girls, and I don't think a reasoning of must secretly be a girl in drag is like the healthiest.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:33 am Reply with quote
Ep 4 was a really weird one. First Ren kidnaps her from work. I'd presumed she wants to maintain the façade of being a boy, and yet without hesitation, she goes into a dress shop to try on clothes right in front of him. oO I guess the only conclusion is that she's comfortable with him thinking Mito likes to crossdress and he'll be okay with that. Ruka then storms in and pretty much confirms that acceptance. Which makes Mito's reluctance to tell him the truth start to ring hollow, since he's shown himself to be open-minded about such things.

Then they go on a group date and Mito is spirited away by one of the girls, with Ren and Ruka in hot pursuit, leaving Takara alone with the other three girls. If he didn't score a date with those odds, there's no hope for him. Smile And Juri appears to be having some unrequited gay angst, but I'm not certain if it's Mito or Takara he's interested in. I thought it was Mito before, but now I'm not so sure.

And now Ren is having a Jekyll-Hyde meltdown? Or a chuunibyou episode? Indigestion?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1