• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rating anime.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pacal II

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Recently I realized that it's impossible for me to rate animes. Sure, I know which animes I like, which I dislike and which I love, but the problems are when I'm supposed to rate them on a 1-10 scale. Let's take one anime that I like, for example Black Lagoon. There's probably no anime I enjoyed more, after watching it I started buying one volume every month in hopes, that by the time I'll buy the next there will be more progress to the story. But it's not an anime that I can compare to much "deeper" ones like NGE or Serial Experiments Lain. By pure enjoyment standards Black Lagoon wins top down in my case, but that doesn't mean that it's better. It doesn't have the symbolism, sophisticated story and doesn't touch important themes like them, but on the other hand I couldn’t say its worse because of that. Clannad and Clannad: After Story wasn’t as enjoyable as BL and didn’t cover as interesting themes as SEL, but it’s the only show that really made me shed tears. Steins Gate has one of my favorite antagonists, Cowboy Bebop some of the greatest music in the solar system, Monster my favorite villain etc.

It would be probably easier to rate my favorite animes by categories: favorite hero/heroine, best sci-fi, best fantasy, best villain, best music and so on. But when it comes down to rating it based on a numerical scale, I can’t really do it.
So I’m wondering if only I have this problem. What would be your tips for someone like me when it comes to rating anime?
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I don't use a solid system to rate anything. Such would be madness since opinions change over time, I like stuff more than I did back then (so many newer shows would have higher ratings than older games/books/shows just on principal of majority) and what I like or dislike changes with the tides. For example, back in the day I loved pink hair and glasses. But white hair has totally trumped pink over time. Glasses still rock though.

I suggest just calling things good or bad, and saying you like X better than Y, instead of getting tied up in a show's power level.

Do I give Madoka a 10/10? Nope. I give it awesome sauce!
richfam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Pacal II wrote:
So I’m wondering if only I have this problem. What would be your tips for someone like me when it comes to rating anime?

No, you're not the only one; other people can occasionally have this problem with rating systems.

The most interesting solution I've seen was on another site, where a prominent user switched to using just three of the 10 values: 1, 5, and 10. These translated for him as "bad," "indifferent," and "good." Smile This certainly simplified his rating process (and generated all sorts of interesting discussion)... although a few users were upset and accused him of distorting the site's rating system (not that he cared).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:31 pm Reply with quote
In my experience most people only want to know what you rate something so they can argue with you anyway. LOL
Pacal II

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I've never really concerned myself with it, until I've come upon pages like this one or myanimelist were you can rate anime. And as much as I'd want to rate Black Lagoon as "pure awesomness!" and Clannad Story with a "Why the hell can't I stop crying!?", I'm still left with a scale from 1 to 10.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:54 pm Reply with quote
A show doesn't have to be deep or symbolic to have quality writing, and Black Lagoon is a superb example of that. That's part of the reason why I rated it as one of the top five series of the 2000s.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bango

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:21 pm Reply with quote
A comrade of mine's favourites list has all this super deep philosophical stuff and Black Lagoon sitting on 3rd or 4th place.

It's entire reason for being there: spoiler[torpedo boat takes out helicopter.]
David.Seth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I never thought to rate anime until I joined myanimelist and hummingbird. When I started rating I found I was giving out a lot of 9's and 10's. I was concerned I wasn't putting enough thought into it so I tried to reevaluate why I was giving certain titles perfect scores. But in the end it just drove me nuts. I gave Rose of Versailles, Habaine Renmei, and Perfect Blue scores of 10. But what standard was I holding all these to? In the end I realized that I rated them (mostly) on how much I enjoyed watching them and how they affected me. Sure I take in account the character/story/animation quality, but I just go by my gut feeling on how much I enjoyed and appreciated the show/movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I just rate them on how powerful the experience was. More memorable ones receive higher ratings than less memorable ones. It's true that like films and books, some series have a greater focus on artistic qualities (such as ABe's work) while others are more focused on entertaining (such as Black Lagoon), but I don't think either type of focus can be regarded as inherently superior to the other. If you love Black Lagoon you should give it a perfect score. I am watching it right now and I think it's very very good, but I wouldn't rate it as highly as NGE or Lain.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Ratings of 10 usually mean that all of your buttons were pushed throughout. I think I'd drop some of my early 10/10 ratings if I went back and rewatched them now, I have a larger base of comparison and more time to reflect on how good they were or if they really reached me. I find myself rarely even giving out 8s and 9s these days, regardless of it's a new anime or an older one.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I tend to give higher ratings towards anime that make some kind of effort in sticking out of the norm in some form or telling a worthwhile story without spoon-feeding me its major elements like character issues or moral dilemmas. If the experience is significant enough where it makes a large impression on me, then I'm likely to whip out Excellent and Masterpiece ratings.

Titles featuring heavy loads of melodrama and angst, playing things too safe with sticking to conventional premises for a genre and/ or using objectionable content or fan-pandering too heavily as a crutch to cover up shortcomings in a title's quality are big targets for me to tack on lower ratings for a title.
David.Seth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:12 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Ratings of 10 usually mean that all of your buttons were pushed throughout. I think I'd drop some of my early 10/10 ratings if I went back and rewatched them now, I have a larger base of comparison and more time to reflect on how good they were or if they really reached me. I find myself rarely even giving out 8s and 9s these days, regardless of it's a new anime or an older one.

The thing is, most of the shows/movies I've given 10's are ones that I have seen multiple times over the years because I enjoy them so much (aka my buttons were pushed). The hard concept for me to get over was rating an anime a 5, 6, or 7 out of 10 didn't necessarily mean it was bad, it just means that it was average/nothing special/"meh". It reminds me of the people who get out raged that some company or magazine will give their favorite game a 7/10 or 8/10. Since when did 7 or 8 out of 10 mean a horrible game? Or anime for that part? Its all about keeping perspective.

Also, I usually don't consider the technical aspect of anime into my ratings unless its something really bad or really good.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Bango wrote:
It's entire reason for being there: spoiler[torpedo boat takes out helicopter.]

You simply don't see the philosophical meaning, doesn't mean it isn't there. All of its life, the boat lived on water, wondering what it was like to fly. The boat gave its all and it flew. As it flew, it proved that you can accomplish more than anyone ever thought you could. It's a story about a boat that could.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:23 pm Reply with quote
David.Seth wrote:
The hard concept for me to get over was rating an anime a 5, 6, or 7 out of 10 didn't necessarily mean it was bad, it just means that it was average/nothing special/"meh". It reminds me of the people who get out raged that some company or magazine will give their favorite game a 7/10 or 8/10. Since when did 7 or 8 out of 10 mean a horrible game? Or anime for that part? Its all about keeping perspective.

People don't realize that it's a full spectrum and only focus on 8-10. Just like I'm cautious in giving out very high scores, same is said for very low. It would have to try very hard to get under my skin and annoy or bore me to death to get something like a 1.
David.Seth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:13 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
It would have to try very hard to get under my skin and annoy or bore me to death to get something like a 1.

Yeah I've only rated one anime a 1, and that was Eiken. I had known previously that it was pretty bad, but I decided to check it out anyway. You know, just in case it was one of those so-bad-its-good type shows. Nope. Just bad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2