• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Site Sued for Power Rangers Halloween Costumes

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FMABleach

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:00 am Reply with quote
............um what does this have to do with anime or manga? Just curious is all.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:15 am Reply with quote
FMABleach wrote:
............um what does this have to do with anime or manga? Just curious is all.

Super Sentai's always been up there with Japanese media
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:21 am Reply with quote
Ugh... power rangers=super sentai= live action Japanese entertainment, which is perfectly appropriate for a live action interest story on this site- which is what it's marked as. It's not going to kill you to read an occasional headline outside of the VERY narrow window of Japanese pop culture that is anime and manga.

I'm kinda curious how this is going to pan out... they left off the belt buckle but kept the white diamonds. I wonder is that's enough to infringe on the design? (Also, leave it to Halloween to sexify any costume out there a woman might wear. I'm surprised I haven't seen any sexy Angry Birds.)
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:17 pm Reply with quote
FMABleach wrote:

You mean you haven't notice ANN putting articles not related to anime or manga at all like this for example and this one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
E-Master

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Woah, not sure what to say about a pink ranger suit being modified to look like something from a fashion store by excluding the required helmet and putting more exposure.

While I do admit I was a fan of the series as a kid, but I remenber I had trouble getting caught up with it between the one where they became kids and the Zeo series. I don't know if there'll be a time when I decide to rewatch the whole series from the start cause it's really long if you include the sequal series after series 1. Plus now and days I've been busy with watching Super Sentai just to see how different the original series is compared to the American counterpart.

Pretty tough that this costume company is getting sued.
FMABleach

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:54 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
FMABleach wrote:

Super Sentai's always been up there with Japanese media

I know but I think this one relates more toward the American version. I could be wrong though. ^^;;;

DuelLadyS wrote:
Ugh... power rangers=super sentai= live action Japanese entertainment, which is perfectly appropriate for a live action interest story on this site- which is what it's marked as. It's not going to kill you to read an occasional headline outside of the VERY narrow window of Japanese pop culture that is anime and manga.

I didn't say it would kill me to see something outside of the normal topics. I didn't know that an anime based site would bother with stuff like this. I was wrong. ^^;;;

Then again since Super Sentai is the original Power Rangers, maybe that's why they did it?

mdo7 wrote:
FMABleach wrote:

You mean you haven't notice ANN putting articles not related to anime or manga at all like this for example and this one.

.___. actually I haven't seen a whole lot of those to be honest.

And your links are for games I think. Games are fine, it was just this article that confused me a little.

To all of you sorry for the confusion. ^^;;;
egoist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't open my door to some grown up wearing this thing that's clearly beyond lame.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:37 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
I wouldn't open my door to some grown up wearing this thing that's clearly beyond lame.

Even if it was a hot girl? For shame.
shadow13

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:40 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
FMABleach wrote:

This reminds me of what ANN is doing by posting non anime related stuff
Quote:
"They are prostituting us to the west" Imran Zakhaev
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:19 am Reply with quote
It can have a positive effect. People opening their horizons and trying out other Japanese media, plus added traffic for people who are drawn from articles like Interest stories, games, etc.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:27 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:

While I am not sure about it being lame, it reminds me outfit from one of those late 60's, early 70's movies. Not sure which ones though.

I will say this about Power Rangers, it's amazing that despite the fact the series is well over a decade old, the series is ongoing and seems to be stronger than ever. Imagine my surprise to see one of the original Power Rangers cast members in the latest show. I think it's Bulk and Skull, but the fact they have a recurring characters all the way from the start of the show is pretty impressive.

As for the lawsuit, I have a feeling Saban will likely either settle or win. There is a chance they might lose, but this lawsuit is likely to take some time, so I can't really say for sure.
HyperGatack

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:44 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
egoist wrote:

While I am not sure about it being lame, it reminds me outfit from one of those late 60's, early 70's movies. Not sure which ones though.

I will say this about Power Rangers, it's amazing that despite the fact the series is well over a decade old, the series is ongoing and seems to be stronger than ever. Imagine my surprise to see one of the original Power Rangers cast members in the latest show. I think it's Bulk and Skull, but the fact they have a recurring characters all the way from the start of the show is pretty impressive.

As for the lawsuit, I have a feeling Saban will likely either settle or win. There is a chance they might lose, but this lawsuit is likely to take some time, so I can't really say for sure.

Bulk... but from what I heard they may have Skull's actor make an appearance down the line (The Kid that pals around with Bulk now is Skulls son.)
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:52 am Reply with quote
HyperGatack wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
egoist wrote:

Bulk... but from what I heard they may have Skull's actor make an appearance down the line (The Kid that pals around with Bulk now is Skulls son.)

I hate to go off topic here, but this is one of the few times where it I am quite curious. What is Skulls son hanging out with Bulk instead of Skull himself? It just seems a bit odd to include one, but not the other.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:43 am Reply with quote
From what I understand, Skull sent his son (whose name is escaping me right now) to learn to "be a samurai" from Bulk (don't ask me why Skull thinks that Bulk knows how to teach it).

For trivia, next year is actually Power Ranger's 20th anniversary in the US. In contrast, this year is Super Sentai's 35th anniversary (and Gokaiger is amazing).

From other articles I've read on this subject, it's all of the PR/PR-inspired costumes that are involved in this. ANN's article is actually the first I've seen that even mentions this costume, the others showed the one that I can't see how isn't copyright infringement (Hollywood Reporter's article does a good job of explaining the whole "clothes can't be copyrighted, but the iconic character's image can" aspect). It can't be recognized as anything but the Pink Power Ranger / Ptera Ranger (the Japanese equivalent). And if ANN's article is correct in that it's listed as licensed material, which the other articles imply it is not, then they're really in trouble.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:23 am Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
It can have a positive effect. People opening their horizons and trying out other Japanese media, plus added traffic for people who are drawn from articles like Interest stories, games, etc.

You have to wonder how long it takes someone to realize PR is a Japanese show. It took me until Power Rangers Time Force to realize it was a Westernized Sentai series. And it took me till Power Rangers Ninja Force to find out that VR Troopers and Big Bad Bettleborgs were from the Metal Hero Series. And don't get me started on stuff like Masked Rider, Ultraman, and Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2