• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Basilisk DVD 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
El Oso

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Great review, although I never had any sympathy for Jingoro. I was actually quite happy when spoiler[Gyobu chucked him off the boat and he dissolved in the salt water] God he was ugly, plus the fact he had the lamest technique of all. Here we have Gennosuke, whose badass dojutsu spoiler[ forces enemies to kill themselves]. Next we have Gyobu who can spoiler[hide in walls or earth]. Finally we have Jingoro, who can turn into a....spoiler[slug]. Laughing
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:29 pm Reply with quote
The fight on the boat is really intense and is very well directed, My favorite episode on this volume is definitely the flashback episode. I also found Hyoma's flashback in volume 5 very engrossing, I wish these episodes were placed earlier in the series, since the character development early on is rather weak. The contrast of how happy the Kouga (especially Udono) are in the flashbacks make the series that more tragic.

As the series continues I am leaning even more in favor of the Kouga clan. It began with the Saemon/Okoi episodes in volume 2. I find Kagero's situation and power very tragic and feel really sorry for her. As for the Iga Clan, Tenzen is a character I truly despise. Hotarubi is possibly my favorite from the Iga clan, but much of this is due to her really nifty power.

I love the character designs for this series. It amazes me how different the various female ninja look despite the fact that the usual gimmicks like crazy hair colors or styles are not incorporated. The characters all have dark brown/purple hair that are rather conservative in fashion, yet are all gorgeous and easy for me to differentiate. Many other series like Boogiepop Phantom or Akira where the Japanese characters have similar hair and skin tone can get confusing. I just wish the series spent more time developing the characters.
digitalkikka

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:18 am Reply with quote
Good review. Basilisk continues to be my favorite series I'm collecting and volume 4 was just as good as I had hoped it would be.

Randall Miyashiro wrote:

As the series continues I am leaning even more in favor of the Kouga clan. It began with the Saemon/Okoi episodes in volume 2. I find Kagero's situation and power very tragic and feel really sorry for her. As for the Iga Clan, Tenzen is a character I truly despise. Hotarubi is possibly my favorite from the Iga clan, but much of this is due to her really nifty power.

I've been for Iga the entire time. Not getting to know the characters from Kouga right away really swayed me away from them. But I'm definitely with you on the Kagero sympthay. Of all the characters, I feel the worse for her. Her and Saemon are my favorite from Kouga despite spoiler[what they do at the end of volume 5. ]. My favorite from Iga (and the whole series) is Akeginu. It's probably because spoiler[she sticks around longer so we're able to see more depth to her character. We see her ability and desire to fight Kouga yet we also get to see her kind, gentle side as well. Like Saemon she's a character that just seems more 'human' to me]

Randall Miyashiro wrote:
I just wish the series spent more time developing the characters.

I agree but after reading The Kouga Ninja Scrolls it surprises me they were even able to get this much depth out of these characters.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I am not yet up to disk 4, I have seen thru disk 2 and am working on more, yet this review seems right for what I have seen so far.
It is rather boring in parts and hard to care about too many of the characters, although I find this to be a very very "pretty" anime, which is partly why I will continue to watch. I love the rich colours used, the fairly fluid action scenes and the vast differences in the various ninja's looks making them easy to distinguish as Randall Miyashiro said.
Rozzer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:15 pm Reply with quote
This truely is an entertaining and suspenseful ninja/samurai anime that I've seen in awhile. It's generic is many ways, but it does not lack in the character art, animation and completely beautiful back sets. I've seen the whole series, and I can't wait for the complete box set once it's released, and hopefully in 5.1.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1