• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: USA Today Booklist, July 30–August 5: Bleach Rises

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
population_tire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:31 am Reply with quote
I got Bleach volume 20 over a month before it was supposed to be released due to my comic book store.Very Happy Glad it's rising - It's a great volume. Other than the fact that spoiler[the bad guy gets away again (the first was the hollow that killed Ichigo's mom, followed by menos grande]
SaveOnePiece

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:51 pm Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:
I got Bleach volume 20 over a month before it was supposed to be released due to my comic book store.Very Happy Glad it's rising - It's a great volume. Other than the fact that spoiler[the bad guy gets away again (the first was the hollow that killed Ichigo's mom, followed by menos grande]

How's that a "spoiler" when spoiler[Aizen went to Hueco Mundo to create Arrancar about 2 years ago?] I have volume 29 on order and it should be arriving within the next few days along with the Bleach 5th anniversary book.

"Great" and edited don't EVER go in the same sentence.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see it's doing good, but, I don't mean to beat a dead horse, I just wish it wasn't going to the magazine! If anything, the strong sales should encourage Viz to keep it at a bimonthly rate and well ahead of the anime.

SaveOnePiece wrote:
population_tire wrote:

How's that a "spoiler" when spoiler[Aizen went to Hueco Mundo to create Arrancar about 2 years ago?] I have volume 29 on order and it should be arriving within the next few days along with the Bleach 5th anniversary book.

Lord, not this again Rolling Eyes
Some people aren't up to date with the Japanese release or even with the US release, people just go at their own pace. Not being up to date doesn't make them any less of a fan or a person(which you seem to think). But who am I to say such things, I am but a mortal, and you of course are the god of all Bleach fandom Rolling Eyes
SaveOnePiece

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:10 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
I'm glad to see it's doing good, but, I don't mean to beat a dead horse, I just wish it wasn't going to the magazine! If anything, the strong sales should encourage Viz to keep it at a bimonthly rate and well ahead of the anime.

SaveOnePiece wrote:
population_tire wrote:

Lord, not this again Rolling Eyes
Some people aren't up to date with the Japanese release or even with the US release, people just go at their own pace. Not being up to date doesn't make them any less of a fan or a person(which you seem to think). But who am I to say such things, I am but a mortal, and you of course are the god of all Bleach fandom Rolling Eyes

My point is that if you don't read edited manga you'd have known the above and you'd know the simple stuff likespoiler[ Isshin Kurosaki is a Shinigami Uryu's dad comes and that Keigo has a sister.]

I'm not attacking YOU, I'm mad at those who support edited manga and buy it,causing Viz to think they can keep getting away with this crap. I want to help you people know the real Bleach and not a hacked up dumbed down edit fest of ignorance.
Jamee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm mad at those who support edited manga and buy it,causing Viz to think they can keep getting away with this crap. I want to help you people know the real Bleach and not a hacked up dumbed down edit fest of ignorance.

What the hell? Why do you assume Viz is out to get you? It is entirely possible that Viz actually likes Bleach and wants US readers to enjoy it. And for the record, Viz can "get away with this crap" because they got permission from the manga-ka himself to do it. If he is likes the US version, then why should you get so offended?
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Jamee wrote:
Quote:
I'm mad at those who support edited manga and buy it,causing Viz to think they can keep getting away with this crap. I want to help you people know the real Bleach and not a hacked up dumbed down edit fest of ignorance.

What the hell? Why do you assume Viz is out to get you? It is entirely possible that Viz actually likes Bleach and wants US readers to enjoy it. And for the record, Viz can "get away with this crap" because they got permission from the manga-ka himself to do it. If he is likes the US version, then why should you get so offended?
He's on the extreme side, but I also disagree with editing in principle. IIRC, it's basically that edits can be made to a manga and the manga-ka can't do a thing about it because they don't really have control. The contract that VIZ holds from Shueisha probably guarantees an "auto-approval" and the manga-ka is notified, if it even occurs, in a kind of format you'd expect from an email receipt from Amazon.

Kind of like how most manga-ka have no control over how the anime adaptation of their work is going to turn out.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:43 am Reply with quote
SaveOnePiece wrote:
My point is that if you don't read edited manga you'd have known the above and you'd know the simple stuff like spoiler[Isshin Kurosaki is a Shinigami Uryu's dad comes and that Keigo has a sister.]

I'm not attacking YOU, I'm mad at those who support edited manga and buy it,causing Viz to think they can keep getting away with this crap. I want to help you people know the real Bleach and not a hacked up dumbed down edit fest of ignorance.
What? You can't call it "edited" just because Viz's releases simply haven't reached that point in the story yet. Unless Viz has actually altered that bit of the story, it's not editing. Drop it.
SaveOnePiece

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:41 pm Reply with quote
.[/quote] What? You can't call it "edited" just because Viz's releases simply haven't reached that point in the story yet. Unless Viz has actually altered that bit of the story, it's not editing. Drop it.[/quote]

The volumes that contain visual edits say so in the front flap, meaning that Viz edit manga. Remember how Toriyama sued Viz for editing Dragonball years ago? What about how Viz have Son Goku Say "Hey Bro,Whazzup?" on the first page of volume 1? That, my good pal, is westernized to the Nth degree. Eyeshield 21 is visually edited beyond belief. I know sense I own the REAL thing.

Drop that 26 episode character on your avatar and find one with some actual depth that's not (warning 26 episode like plot) a space eskimo on the Marmalade land who grows vegetables with his friend Samurai Astronaut Yuki whose parents were kidnapped by space cows from another dimension on a Saturday afternoon in the 40 10th century last June.
population_tire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:56 pm Reply with quote
the only thing edited in bleach was yoruichi in volume 14. Rolling Eyes

Not everyone can read japanese. and i'd rather buy it than read scanlations.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:02 pm Reply with quote
The internet is THE medium for know-it-all geeks with uncontrollable mouths to spout off. Unfortunately, I don't think this thread will help. Shut-in twits with no one around to praise their pointless tombs of knowledge will always be a thorn in the side of the net. Again, it's a great medium for them. Where else do they have a captive audience that can't physically bitchslap some common sense and manners into them?
SaveOnePiece

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
The internet is THE medium for know-it-all geeks with uncontrollable mouths to spout off. Unfortunately, I don't think this thread will help. Shut-in twits with no one around to praise their pointless tombs of knowledge will always be a thorn in the side of the net. Again, it's a great medium for them. Where else do they have a captive audience that can't physically bitchslap some common sense and manners into them?

"Geek"
Not only a stereotype but directed towards me who's anything but. -1 point

"Uncontollable mouth"
Funny I TYPED what you read -10 points

"Shut-in Twi#s"
Another stereotype and COMPLETLY WRONG at that- -20 points

"female dog slap"
Ah yes, a lack of vocabulary that left you with nothing to use but uneducated caveman talk,a loss of self control and mad at how I attacked 26 episode series and the depth they don't have. -100 points

You'd better think this "Mod" thing over again since you kinda suck at it and stereotype fans.

Try again......
SaveOnePiece

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:52 pm Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:
the only thing edited in bleach was yoruichi in volume 14. Rolling Eyes

Not everyone can read japanese. and i'd rather buy it than read scanlations.

Sad thing is there wasn't even anything to edit.

Import and find script translations.
Jamee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
IIRC, it's basically that edits can be made to a manga and the manga-ka can't do a thing about it because they don't really have control. The contract that VIZ holds from Shueisha probably guarantees an "auto-approval" and the manga-ka is notified, if it even occurs, in a kind of format you'd expect from an email receipt from Amazon.

That may be true, but the manga-ka can still say something if they don't like the edits. That is why we have unedited Negima here.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:26 pm Reply with quote
SaveOnePiece wrote:
Quote:
What? You can't call it "edited" just because Viz's releases simply haven't reached that point in the story yet. Unless Viz has actually altered that bit of the story, it's not editing. Drop it.

The volumes that contain visual edits say so in the front flap, meaning that Viz edit manga.

They include that message in a lot of their manga that don't have edits and don't always have it in the ones that do. Because of the way its worded, it could easily just refer to the changes to some of the text outside of text bubbles that may need to be changed and might slightly alter which exact bits of clothing and whatnot are being covered up.

And what does this have to do with what BrothersElric said?

SaveOnePiece wrote:
Remember how Toriyama sued Viz for editing Dragonball years ago? What about how Viz have Son Goku Say "Hey Bro,Whazzup?" on the first page of volume 1? That, my good pal, is westernized to the Nth degree. Eyeshield 21 is visually edited beyond belief. I know sense I own the REAL thing.

I've never heard of Toriyama suing Viz. He insisted that it be released unflipped, but he didn't seem to care about the various edits they've done to it.

SaveOnePiece wrote:
Drop that 26 episode character on your avatar and find one with some actual depth that's not (warning 26 episode like plot) a space eskimo on the Marmalade land who grows vegetables with his friend Samurai Astronaut Yuki whose parents were kidnapped by space cows from another dimension on a Saturday afternoon in the 40 10th century last June.

Seriously, what is up with your anti-26 episode crap? It's absolutely absurd. Then you complain about silly plots with One Piece in your screen name. You know, that show about a guy who wants to be the pirate king and he's made up rubber (or has the attributes of rubber, at least).

SaveOnePiece wrote:

"female dog slap"
Ah yes, a lack of vocabulary that left you with nothing to use but uneducated caveman talk,a loss of self control and mad at how I attacked 26 episode series and the depth they don't have. -100 points

Oh God, the irony here is overwhelming. Rolling Eyes

SaveOnePiece wrote:
You'd better think this "Mod" thing over again since you kinda suck at it and stereotype fans.

Try again......

Patachu isn't a mod. It says "ANN Reviewer" under his username. Learn to read. Try again.....
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Jamee wrote:
Quote:
IIRC, it's basically that edits can be made to a manga and the manga-ka can't do a thing about it because they don't really have control. The contract that VIZ holds from Shueisha probably guarantees an "auto-approval" and the manga-ka is notified, if it even occurs, in a kind of format you'd expect from an email receipt from Amazon.

That may be true, but the manga-ka can still say something if they don't like the edits. That is why we have unedited Negima here.
Yay for vocal authors! It's all too bad that not many have the liberty to do so for various reasons. Anyhoo, my memory's fuzzy but I thought it was more the fans that threw the fit about it?

Just out of curiosity, where in NC do you reside?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3