• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kodocha

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:36 am Reply with quote
When I was at Borders and Tokyopop.com I could not find the Kodocha manga. Is it out of print? I checked the Encyclopedia but it didn't say anything.
Asako

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:52 am Reply with quote
Yup, it's out of print.

Many Tokyopop manga is out of print actually Smile
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:15 pm Reply with quote
It went out of print about two years ago. You'll have to check used bookstores. I believe Barnes & Noble sells used books, so you may be able to find some of the volumes that way.
smoochy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, its out of print, and my major source of manga, Amazon, has it used, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to pay about 25 $ a book.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:35 pm Reply with quote
One word: eBay.

Seriously, I checked and you can find manga volumes floating around there. You may not like the price tag, but you can find them. Actually, there's an auction with all 10 volumes up right now. (No, I'm not the seller just in case anyone is thinking that.)

Unfortunately, it doesn't take long for an OOP manga to vanish from all normal retail avenues.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:46 pm Reply with quote
You could also try looking for it at your local library if it has a manga section. I practically live in my library's manga section; it's a great place to legally read old, obscure, and out of print manga for free. (:
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

Unfortunately, it doesn't take long for an OOP manga to vanish from all normal retail avenues.

Normally. I think my local comic shop still has over half the series sitting on its shelf. I'll have to check the next time I'm there.
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:51 am Reply with quote
Why did Tokyo pop stop priniting it? I have never heard of Viz stop priniting a manga.
Asako

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:47 am Reply with quote
Ichigo77 wrote:
Why did Tokyo pop stop priniting it? I have never heard of Viz stop priniting a manga.
Oohh they have as far as I know. There's a lot of manga that were printed in the larger format that seem to be getting shoved out of the picture from Viz. Probably because it was unpopular and Viz is moving on with other titles. I don't think they're doing it for a terrible reason, and some of the larger formats are being reprinted in the smaller format so our manga shelves can look nice and uniform Very Happy. What doesn't sell can't bring in the cash. If they consistently pursue items that don't bring in funds, they'll run themselves into the ground Smile
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:37 am Reply with quote
Which titles has Viz stopped printing? And now that I think about it didn't Tokyo pop stop printing Kodocha around the time the anime came out? Wouldn't it had made sense to keep publishing the manga since the anime could draw more fans?
Asako

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:29 am Reply with quote
Hmm.. I don't know exactly what manga has been stopped printing, but I'll list what I can of what is no longer on their website www.viz.com .

Uhm, it's quite a long list so please bear with me.
  • 2001 Nights
  • A,A'
  • A.D. Police
  • Adolf
  • Aqua Knight
  • Area 88
  • Ashen Victor
  • Bakune Young
  • Baoh
  • Benkei in NY (? I actually am not sure about this one)
  • Bio Buster Armor Guyver
  • Black Jack
  • Crying Freeman (expired license)
  • Dance Till Tomorrow
  • Eagle
  • Eat-man
  • El Hazard
  • Even a Monkey Can Draw Manga
  • Fist of the North Star (they used to have the license)
  • Galaxy Express 999
  • Grey
  • Heartbroken Angels
  • Hotel Harbour View
  • Legend of Kamui
  • Love Song
  • Lycanthrope Leo
  • Macross II
  • Macross II: The Micron Conspiracy (US made)
  • Marionette Generation
  • Metal Guardian Faust
  • Night Warriors: Darkstalkers Revenge
  • Ogre Slayer
  • Orochi: Blood
  • Riot
  • Saber Tiger
  • Samurai Crusader
  • Samurai Shodown
  • Sanctuary (edit: man I can't believe I forgot this one...)
  • Strain
  • Street Fighter II
  • Super Street Fighter II: Cammy
  • Urusei Yatsura (the volume before The Return of Lum)
  • Voyeur
  • Xenon

I know there are more out there. But sometimes older things are really hard to keep track of Sad I'd like to say again that this is a list of stuff that I don't see on their website anymore... they may be still printing it, but I can't be sure on some of them Anime hyper
ShadrachAnki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Ichigo77 wrote:

Books and other media go out of print all the time. Sometimes it's a popularity issue, other times it's a cost issue. Publishers aren't going to keep a title in print if it sells poorly, regardless of the medium they're publishing in. With manga (and anime) there's also the licensing issue to consider.

Companies like Tokyopop generally only obtain the rights to produce and publish a series for a specific amount of time. It would be cost prohibitive (and unwise for both parties) to obtain perpetual rights to a work. Anyway, when the contracted time runs out for a series a new contract has to be negotiated and drawn up. If the series is a niche title or the first set of print runs didn't sell well then the chances of the American publisher pursuing a new contract are much lower than if the series is widely popular and still selling well.

Kodocha isn't the only Tokyopop title to go out of print--most of their early series are now quite hard to find. Asako provided a good list of Viz titles that are out of print (or at least no longer advertised on their website, which seems to be much the same thing).

~Shadrach Anki
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Brand

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:15 pm Reply with quote
If you go to anime cons you may find it volumes in the dealers room.

Also check out local comic book shops. I picked up all of Kodocha at $5 a volume about a year back at the comic shop near my collage.

My other suggestion is because it's harder to find (and if you don't got the ebay route) to pick up any volumes you see of it (especially if you find it on sale) no matter if you have the previous volumes. If you look around long enough most likely you will find it all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Not a Jellyfish

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Also, just try ordering the books. You might be surprised what stores can still get in. They keep thousands of copies of books in warehouses just for special orders and inventory back stock. Many times a book will be out of print, but copies will still be available because of these warehouses. I've even ordered stuff before and got a first printing even after the second printing was out. So, you never know until you try.

If all else fails, the internet is your friend.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:36 pm Reply with quote
You may be able to find some from Barnes & Noble.

They have volumes 2, 3, and 8 for good (under $10) prices, but the rest will cost you anywhere from $20-$102.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2