• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - The Manga Menagerie

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:17 pm Reply with quote
My manga calendar is small, bi-monthly, currently sitting on the desk next to my computer, and features memorable moments from Nodame Cantabile. : )

Mikami's chapter in Death Note was quite brilliant, wasn't it? Definitely the best part of the series for several volumes now. (I agree with the review, Near is getting a bit ridiculous and it's all becoming an uninteresting blur -- thank god for new characters!)

Once again, another fabulous column. Very Happy
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You won't believe some of the stuff coming out of Near's mouth—mostly because he doesn't have the proper evidence to confirm it.

The rapport between Light and the "other girl" is more unbelievable than Near's intuition IMHO. I'm guessing it was meant as fan-service for the female readers or something...

I pretty much agree with you on Inu Baka, but I hope the author develops relationships between the trio.

I mostly enjoyed Adolf-aside from Viz flipping the book, but not changing the text, so that one guy's bad arm isn't the one he's describing in the text bubble(*sigh*)-but the last part of the series feels rushed, and should have been expanded a volume or two.
Bara_Megami

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Man, the review makes me wish i held out buying Tactics until now. I despised the ADV translation - I remember lots of switching between the Japanese terms and the English ones, and just general awkwardness in the dialogue. I also disliked their translation of Azumanga Daioh (but I can't really remember what irked me about it), so I can't say I'm surprised they're pretty much dead.

Adolf is so hard to find! I recently found the last volume for $5 at a local store, but I think it's one of those series you can't randomly skip ahead, especially to the last volume.
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:58 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

The rapport between Light and the "other girl" is more unbelievable than Near's intuition IMHO. I'm guessing it was meant as fan-service for the female readers or something...

Isn't it supposed to be though? It's purposefully over the top because Light needs to coerce her to his side... I didn't see it as fan-servicey at all, just creepy and manipulative. Which is what Light is so good at, of course. Smile
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:06 am Reply with quote
Neverwhere wrote:
My manga calendar is small, bi-monthly, currently sitting on the desk next to my computer, and features memorable moments from Nodame Cantabile. : )

A Nodame calendar! Be still my heart.

That's definitely a series I'd want a calendar of ... but the Yotsuba habit is hard to kick. Anime hyper
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:19 am Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:

A Nodame calendar! Be still my heart.

That's definitely a series I'd want a calendar of ... but the Yotsuba habit is hard to kick. Anime hyper

Somehow I thought you might say that. *grins impishly* (And I'm very pleased you did too! : )

Even though it's tiny, the illustrations can be removed from the calendar itself so you can keep them once the months have passed -- since there's so little Nodame merchandise available it's nice to have these 'mini posters', especially since the scenes are just so damn cute. Although so is Yotsuba. Wink
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:27 am Reply with quote
Bara: Haven't read ADV's Tactics, but their translation of Cromartie is excellent.
Ningensei

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:51 am Reply with quote
My anime calendar for 2006 was Furuba, which I loved a lot because there were plenty of representations of the character I love the most. (Kyo!)

This year I decided on a Fullmetal Alchemist calendar because I recently got into the series again after purchasing the English manga releases around Christmas time and early January. I can't wait to get Volume 12 this month! (despite a few publishing/professionalism problems by Viz...oh well I can live with it)
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:14 am Reply with quote
Death Note 10 was awesome. Light and his smooth moves- I am waitng for the next one.

Innocent Bird....wow. Looks intresting. I wonder if its confusing like Angel Sanctuary.

INUBAKA...my thoughts are: why didn't they just wait for the next litter to have purebreds?

CORPSE DELIVERY SERVICE
For some odd reason I haven't seen this one in the stores. I've checked Borders and Waldenbooks... maybe i'll try barnes & noble.

Tactics...i have the frist book and i'm not in a big rush to buy it again. But the idea of it being better does make me want to. The evidence against reminds me why I disliked the show.

King city- i've been waiting on this one.

I remember hearing of Adolf awhile ago. it had good reviews...I'm not sure if I want to read it though.

Nice reviews..my calander would need to be Speed Grapher or Kingdom hearts. I doubt they make either lol. But the Samurai Champloo one looks intresting...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:22 am Reply with quote
Bara_Megami wrote:
I despised the ADV translation - I remember lots of switching between the Japanese terms and the English ones, and just general awkwardness in the dialogue.

And, if I remember correctly, a particularly androgynous character's gender was switched from male to female in the second volume of ADV's translation as well. I'm really wishing I didn't donate my copies of ADV's Tactics to the library now, since I'd love to do a page-by-page comparison with Tokyopop's version.

Quote:
Oh, and I'm just going to say it because someone has to: Haruka is hot.

No way, Kantarou is obviously the hottest of the two. Razz
Asako

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:37 am Reply with quote
Right Turn Only wrote:
What about you, RTO readers? Do YOU keep an anime- or manga-themed calendar? Which series are you currently spending 365 days with? Do you like to change the theme each year as new favorites emerge, or is there one you find yourself buying year after year?

Well.. every year since 2004, I've had the Tsubasa/XXXHolic Calendar (import). Always have it hanging in the same place.

2004 - extra was two pens, one with Mokona and one with Modoki
2005 - extra had 6 stamps and a tin case for them
2006 - extra was a desk calendar with plastic holder
2007 - extra was a desk calendar that can turn into a tiny story book about Mokona and Modoki's dreams (if you want to rip the section out from the calendar)

2006 I used it on my TV because I didn't have a work desk. 2007 I now use at my office desk Smile My co-workers commented on how beautiful the calendar was when it first came in. They didn't know there were calendars with such high quality paper and artwork. They're not into anime or manga, but they loved the art and product.

This year I actually got a Disgaea Calendar for my boyfriend and also a Dead or Alive Extreme Beach Volleyball calendar.

If CLAMP ever stops the Tsubasa/XXXHolic Calendar I might find something totally different to hang up. But as it stands, I'm quite satisfied with having it on the wall Smile part poster, part calendar.
Munkustrap

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:31 am Reply with quote
too much shoujo... im not reading this column anymore =(
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:29 am Reply with quote
Against my will, the review has made me interested in Inubaka. It sounds like a fun story, but my preference for cats may hinder my full enjoyment of it. (Still, lead looks nice and it sounds good.)

Once again, like the new courtroom format.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:11 am Reply with quote
I'm really dreading what's coming next in the Death Note anime, since I believe we're almost at the Mello/Near stuff (at least that's what I assume is being called the "dreaded" arc on this one review site I follow). The fact that my interest has already been waning for awhile doesn't give me much hope, alas.

Inubaka sounds like it could be interesting, though I'm not sure if it would be interesting enough to spend too much money on.

The only anime/manga calendar I have is the one that came with Shoujo Beat. Which is pretty spiffy.
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:26 am Reply with quote
I don't have a calendar Anime cry, but I once made a Captain Tsubasa one on Publisher. Otherwise, I simply pass the cursor over the clock in my PC Razz

About Death Note: Have heard a lot of it but haven't had the chance to check it out

About Innocent Bird: It kinda reminds me of Wish (CLAMP)... Only that this time the angels don't look feminine

About Inubaka: I pass. I'm not just a cat person... I'm really afraid of dogs (a Doberman bit me when I was 4), so that's another story off my list.

About CDS: It gave me the creeps.

About Tactics: Seems interesting (although I'm not a shojo lover)

About Adolf: I know it was made by Tezuka-sama, but if it has Hitler on it, I pass. My hatred for him is way beyond my hatred for my father (and mind ya, for a daughter to hate her father...)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5