• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Big Windup! (TV) (all seasons).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainulf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:51 pm Reply with quote

Season 1 - Big Windup! (TV)
Season 2 - Big Windup! Season 2 (TV)

Genres: comedy, drama, slice of life, tournament
Themes: baseball, sports

Plot Summary: The series, set in Saitama, follows Ren Mihashi, who had previously excelled as his middle school baseball team's ace pitcher, due to his grandfather's connections as its manager. As he graduates to high school, whose baseball team his grandfather does not manage, he initially does not believe he is good enough to succeed at baseball, however, but assisted by his friends, he grows in stature, confidence and skill, helping his team excel with his own ability.
----------------------------------

Ookiku Furikabutte (Big Windup) is a sport anime, baseball. I think this is the first (and i think only) anime based on baseball. The show gave me a good impression. Well, it's a pretty typical for most of the sporting anime, the main character always wimpy in the beginning and he develops throughout the story. I could pretty much predict what's going to happen. I think I'm gonna watch a couple of episode of this and we'll see if I'm going to continue watching it.
Rainulf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Iwatch2muchanime wrote:
Princess Nine was based on baseball, and it was pretty good, you should check it out.

OH YEH!!! I think I've heard of that, but it didn't really catched my attention because it's pretty old (1998).. It has a pretty good rating though, but i really prefer watching new animes (atleast year 2000 animes). Well, i think I'm gonna watch this. Thanks for the recommendation!
one3rd

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Rainulf wrote:
I think this is the first (and i think only) anime based on baseball.

First and only? Not by a long shot. With a quick Google search, I found that Star Of The Giants dates back to 1968 and there may have been baseball shows before that. Since then, there have been several anime series based on baseball including, but not limited to Dokaben (1976), Touch (1985, and a very good series), and H2 (1995). Given baseball's popularity in Japan, I can't imagine how many manga series must exist that include baseball as a central element and have or haven't been adapted into anime.
Rainulf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:40 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
First and only? Not by a long shot. With a quick Google search, I found that Star Of The Giants dates back to 1968 and there may have been baseball shows before that. Since then, there have been several anime series based on baseball including, but not limited to Dokaben (1976), Touch (1985, and a very good series), and H2 (1995). Given baseball's popularity in Japan, I can't imagine how many manga series must exist that include baseball as a central element and have or haven't been adapted into anime.

lol, Okay! I get it! It's just my opinion, you don't need to do a research since I don't really watch that much baseball animes. So anyway, let's stick to the topic.

Like i said in my first post, that the main character always wimpy in the beginning and he develops throughout the story. YES! Eyeshield 21 is a perfect example! This kind of plot gets really old now, so i don't know if I'm going to continue watching this series or not. Guess we'll have to find out.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Just curious, is anyone watching this baseball anime? I'm really enjoying this show a lot. It's got kind of a straightforward execution, at least through the seventh episode, but it's a lot of fun and I like the characters quite a bit. It ended up being a bit different than I thought it was going to be, at least with the characters. I think it's neat there's a lot of focus on the pitcher/catcher relationship, and I hope it continues to deal with that.

I can't think of much to actually say on it besides the fact I'm really liking it a lot, and it's easily one of the shows I'm most excited about right now. And for a year that has been pretty lackluster in terms of "must watch shows" for me, Ookiku Furikabutte is very welcome. And I was just wondering if anyone else was watching it right now as well.

[EDIT: Merged this with the pre-existing thread. -TK]
masaki-baby

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I've actually seen the first 3 episodes and I've liked what I've seen so far. Despite the fact that i'm not really a fan of baseball ( or any kind of sports really) and I'm still enjoying this show. I guess that just shows how well written the story and characters are. i'll agree with saying its definitely well worth watching.
vylo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I would have a hard time getting around the fact it is a baseball anime. I hate baseball almost as much as I hate Nascar. One word describes them both.

SLOW.

I guess an anime would pull it off a lot better then a the real thing though. You wouldn't have the pitcher scratching his ass for 10 years. He would actually throw the ball before you pass out from boredom.
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:15 pm Reply with quote
vylo wrote:
I would have a hard time getting around the fact it is a baseball anime. I hate baseball almost as much as I hate Nascar. One word describes them both.

SLOW.

I'm not much of a baseball fan myself. I like the sport, but it's not one of my absolute favorites. I agree that it's slow, but like all good sports anime or movies, it's more than just the sport that makes it appealing, it's the characters, their purpose, their focus, and maybe their determination. I'm not a fan of soccer much at all, but I loved Whistle!. I'm similar on NASCAR, and if there were a legitimate stock car racing manga or anime, I'd probably love it (hell, Days of Thunder is one of my favorite movies for some reason. Laughing ).

I like how Ookiku Furiwhasit (...is there a clever abbreviation for this yet? OokiFuri?) really focuses on the strategic element of the sport, the character/position roles, its mental wear on pitchers and so on. It did a great job of progressing the first game as well. It felt natural without all the bore that comes with the sport as a whole.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I'm following the show. I don't mind that it's slow, most sports anime are. Although I don't know Japanese all that well, I'm following summaries from anime blogs and watching the raws, I'm up to episode 18. This series is defienetely a great baseball anime (but it can't beat Princess Nine or H2 in my opinion) and I absolutley love the characters. The series itself isn't really all that popular among males but mostly females, I'm sure you can tell why. I love the series for it's great character development and I've recently come to like baseball. I'm not following to many anime (watching more Japanese live action dramas at the moment) but Oofuri is one I'll be following till the end.
ikky

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:27 am Reply with quote
I think "Oofuri" is the fanmade abbreviation of the title.

I am watching it, though I may just switch to the manga as the anime is kind of slow moving, and doesn't have particularly good animation. Razz
I really like it so far even though I have never seen a baseball game in my life... But like with Eyeshield 21 (I also don't know anything about American football *sweat*) , it's all about the characters and their development/motivation. I really like the two main characters and their developing friendship, so I'm sticking with this series Smile
BladeBlur

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:33 am Reply with quote
I watched the first season of Major and despite my apathetic attitude towards Baseball I LOVED that show and it's one of my favorites. I will probably give Ooturi a chance for that reason.
palabasa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:31 am Reply with quote
i'm a huge fan of the manga of this one, my most awaited releases among all the ongoing manga i'm currently reading..

and from what i have gathered from a few sneak peeks/reviews of the episodes, it kind of follows the manga format with minimal omissions/revisions. so i'll watching this anime real soon. i cant get enough of the manga so i was hoping the anime is ahead of the manga, which is not the case i think.. Sad
kakagerrard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:04 am Reply with quote
i've been watching this anime for quite a while, and it's really good. got me interested in baseball. cant wait for ep 24 to come out!
NocturnalUX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:07 am Reply with quote
I am not at all fond of sports in general and baseball is pretty unknown around here, to the point that I only have the vaguest idea about the rules...but I am quite enjoying this series. Ren is a riot and the character interaction is interesting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1